banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
charlene

Default Keith Urban-Sundown at Toronto concert-'09 and Nfld.-2012

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm...80821-sun.html
and in the audience was Pee Wee Charles...

Monday, October 5, 2009

Urban gets close to fans at ACC
By JANE STEVENSON, Sun Media

Last Updated: 4th October 2009, 12:02am
Email StoryPrintSize A A AReport TypoShare with:
FacebookDiggDel.icio.usGoogleStumble UponNewsvineRedditTechnoratiFeed MeYahooSimpySquidooSpurlBlogmarksNetvouzScuttleSit ejot+ What are these? .
Keith Urban performs at the Air Canada Centre last night. (Dave Abel, Sun Media) Country music cutie Keith Urban Hit The Ground Running, also the name of the first song he played on Saturday night at the Air Canada Centre, and never really stopped.

Backed by the same crack five-piece band that he brought to the Phoenix in March in front of a mere 1,000 fans, spoiling yours truly in the process, Urban proved he's got what it takes to create intimacy in a venue twenty times the size.

Energy, enthusiasm and sincerity are the trademarks of an Urban show.

Touring in support of his latest album, Defying Gravity, Urban's so-called Escape Together arena tour found him getting up close and personal with his audience with three mini-catwalks taking him out into the crowd, including two which were actually ramps down onto the floor.

By the fourth song, Where The Blacktop Ends, Urban had bravely ventured down both ramps for extended guitar solos, just inches from his fans, and by the next song, You're My Better Half, he had wandered around the floor to a smaller mini stage at the very back.

"Who's got the good seats now?" he yelled, before launching into one of the evening's highlights, Once In A Lifetime, which he peppered with a bit of Stevie Nicks' Edge Of Seventeen.

Urban then took a seat and switched to an acoustic guitar for Making Memories of Us, which he dedicated to his wife-actress Nicole Kidman, who may or may not have been in the crowd, followed by Only You Can Love Me This Way.

He then fought he way back through the audience, who jostled each other to grab at him, to launch into another crowd favourite, Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me, which prompted a major sing and clap along.

Still, it was the next tune, Sweet Thing, that really got toes tapping.

The 41-year-old New Zealand-born, Aussie-based artist definitely has looks, charm and charisma to go along with his musical talents, particularly as a guitarist, as he more than demonstrated with both his electric and acoustic playing during Til Summer Comes Around and Raining On Sunday.

And whenever the camera panned to show the back of him, the audience went nuts for his rear view, so to speak.

"I'm feeling the love tonight Toronto, it's nice to be back," he said earlier in the show. "It's a special night tonight. It's the last night of our entire Canadian tour so we might play a little more tonight. You may want to call the baby sitter and tell her you might be a little late."

Later he added: "We've been coming up here for years. And you've always made us feel welcome and warm on stage. Whatever's up here in the water, just keeping drinking it cause it's great."

Still, the bit where he put on a headband, wristband and signed tennis balls and then hit them out into the crowd with a tennis racket, with the help of Lady Antebellum's Hillary Scott, was a bit goofy.

Much better were the band introductions which saw three of them take a turn in the spotlight including guitarist Brian Nutter singing Vancouver rocker Bryan Adams' Run To You.

Lady Antebellum's three singers - Scott, Charles Kelley, and Dave Haywood - also joined Urban for an excellent acoustic cover of The Eagles' Seven Bridges Road, which was only topped by Urban's own massive hits, Kiss A Girl and I Told You So.

And the fan video clips of them singing, leading into You'll Think Of Me, was genuinely heartfelt.

Urban also strapped on a psychedelic guitar that lit up in different colours for You Look Good In My Shirt which saw him wandering the floor again until he made his way to another small stage in the stands, followed by the downright triumphant Somebody Like You.

In a final tribute to his Canadian fans, Urban opened his encore with a snippet of Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown before an acoustic version of Tonight I Wanna Cry, which was followed by yet another barnburner, Better Life, complete with confetti.

---

SET LIST

Hit the Ground Running

Days Go By

Stupid Boy

Where the Blacktop Ends

You're My Better Half

Once in a Lifetime

Making Memories of Us

Only You Can Love Me This Way

Who Do You Love/Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Sweet Thing

Til Summer Comes Around

Raining On Sunday

Band member Intros: Snippets of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Run To You, Ain't No Sunshine

Seven Bridges Road

Kiss a Girl

I Told You So

You'll Think of Me

You Look Good In My Shirt

Somebody Like You

ENCORE:

Sundown/Tonight I Wanna Cry

Better Life

---

Sun Rating: 4 out of 5

Keith Urban

Air Canada Centre

Saturday night
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Keith Urban sings Sundown at Toronto concert

i don't recognize the riff...but i'm sure all the ladies had a drooly evening
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Jesse Joe

Man he sure can rock for a {Country Signer} !!!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
charlene

Here's Keith singing SUNDOWN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8A60IFPl44
Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
podunklander

ok that's kewl, different. Just a GREAT song
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
charlene

August 2012 - St.John's Newfoundland: SUNDOWN and WITHOUT YOU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6M...ature=youtu.be