banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
CoryM

Does anyone know if Cher did that song as a tribute to GL, or did she just do it for money? I think her version makes me ill.

------------------
knightmoves
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
knightmoves

Does anyone know if Cher did that song as a tribute to GL, or did she just do it for money? I think her version makes me ill.

------------------
knightmoves
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
Rosanna

I think we are coming down with the same
illness,KM. TERRIBLE at best.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Doug Letcher

I think we are coming down with the same
illness,KM. TERRIBLE at best.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
ricky Jay

I hate Cher, she has a deeper voice than Gordon Lightfoot!

Pardon me, I know that Cher has fans.
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #6
Shazia

I hate Cher, she has a deeper voice than Gordon Lightfoot!

Pardon me, I know that Cher has fans.
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:17 AM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Yeah, OK, but Sonny & Cher were pretty cool back in the day, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
CoryM

I dont dislike Cher, and poor Sonny...Sonny should never have taken up skiing.

------------------
knightmoves
Old 03-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
knightmoves

I dont dislike Cher, and poor Sonny...Sonny should never have taken up skiing.

------------------
knightmoves
Old 03-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #10
Gaby

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Sorry. That's sick!
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #11
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I liked Cher back in the Gypsy Tramps and Thieves days, but she just got too far out there after awhile, and was more concerned with being an aging sex symbol than with being a singer.

The Sonny and Cher show was okay. I don't think Sonny was much of a musician. He was obviously feeding of Cher's talent, not his own. Voice lessons would have been beneficial to Sonny, along with a few skiing lessons.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #12
Borderstone

Actually,Sonny Bono was very musically inclined,he just didn't have that fantastic a voice. ...but in the "do your own thing" '60s,I guess it didn't matter.

He worked behind the scenes to make Sonny & Cher work because let's not forget,Cher wasn't even of legal age when they met! Cher has always given a great part of the credit to Sonny for the hard work he did.

As for the show on TV,Sonny enjoyed being the butt of the joke,heck,he even wrote some of them that were targeted at him. They did it in the stage act and then on CBS.

Original point of topic,I haven't heard this new version and if it is as bad as you say,then hopefully I wont. On the other hand,I do like it when GL's music keeps reaching new people (whatevr way that may be.

Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #13
Auburn Annie

Cher has a very, shall we say, eclectic selection of songs. She doesn't limit herself to one genre or other (maybe she should) but she's reinvented herself musically and otherwise more often - and more successfully - than Madonna. I have no idea WHAT she was thinking in recording that particular song, but hey, nothing ventured....

And speaking of Sonny, he was indeed the brains behind S&C, having started in the 50s with Specialty Records before cutting his teeth working with Phil 'Wall of Sound' Spector in public relations. Among other songs he co-wrote "Needles and Pins" as recorded by both The Searchers and Jackie DeShannon(for those of you old enough, or, uh, clear-headed enough to remember the 60s.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #14
Auburn Annie

Cher has a very, shall we say, eclectic selection of songs. She doesn't limit herself to one genre or other (maybe she should) but she's reinvented herself musically and otherwise more often - and more successfully - than Madonna. I have no idea WHAT she was thinking in recording that particular song, but hey, nothing ventured....

And speaking of Sonny, he was indeed the brains behind S&C, having started in the 50s with Specialty Records before cutting his teeth working with Phil 'Wall of Sound' Spector in public relations. Among other songs he co-wrote "Needles and Pins" as recorded by both The Searchers and Jackie DeShannon(for those of you old enough, or, uh, clear-headed enough to remember the 60s.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #15
CoryM

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Actually,Sonny Bono was very musically inclined,he just didn't have that fantastic a voice. ...but in the "do your own thing" '60s,I guess it didn't matter.

He worked behind the scenes to make Sonny & Cher work because let's not forget,Cher wasn't even of legal age when they met! Cher has always given a great part of the credit to Sonny for the hard work he did.

As for the show on TV,Sonny enjoyed being the butt of the joke,heck,he even wrote some of them that were targeted at him. They did it in the stage act and then on CBS.

Original point of topic,I haven't heard this new version and if it is as bad as you say,then hopefully I wont. On the other hand,I do like it when GL's music keeps reaching new people (whatevr way that may be.

Been me,later!

BS: You, apparently, just dont get out to the dance club/ meat markets enough these days to hear Cher's Version. ...As far as Cher goes...I think she's still hot and sexy. As far as Bono goes... when I was younger ...I was so bright my mother called me Sonny!!!!

------------------
knightmoves
Old 03-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #16
knightmoves

Been me,later!

BS: You, apparently, just dont get out to the dance club/ meat markets enough these days to hear Cher's Version. ...As far as Cher goes...I think she's still hot and sexy. As far as Bono goes... when I was younger ...I was so bright my mother called me Sonny!!!!

------------------
knightmoves
Old 03-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #17
Borderstone

Knightmoves. First off,I never went to dance clubs when I was younger,mainly because the 1st time I went I had a bit of a nervous seizure.
Why? According to the Dr. I saw,the constant flashing of the strobes induced it. It's hard to explain but basically he said ithad something to do with the nervous system. So,I couldn't go even if i realy wanted to. Besides,being 35,I don't think I'd fit in now!

Back to the point here,if she's done a dance version,I'm sure it's listenable enough but there was already a dance version in 1998 from the movie "54" which is about Studio 54 in the 1970s. It was released as a single and got to abou #52 on the charts.

I know Cher is talented but as for looks,I prefered her when she had her original look. I like women when they are natural and be 100% themselves. She's had too much work done for my taste. Give me the Dark Lady days anytime. Been me,later!

PS:I didn't mean to get so personal in the 1st paragraph.
------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited March 25, 2004).]
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM   #18
Sally B Traffic

Recently Cher has sounded like Sparky's magic piano, at least to me. I hope she hasn't butchered this beautiful song.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM   #19
Sally B Traffic

Recently Cher has sounded like Sparky's magic piano, at least to me. I hope she hasn't butchered this beautiful song.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #20
Borderstone

Not that it's a big deal,but I just realized it was 5 years ago this week that she was #1 with,"Believe"! 5 years already?

Then again,it's been 30 since "Dark Lady" hit the top too! Double !!!!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Old 03-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #21
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Knightmoves. First off,I never went to dance clubs when I was younger,mainly because the 1st time I went I had a bit of a nervous seizure.
Why? According to the Dr. I saw,the constant flashing of the strobes induced it. It's hard to explain but basically he said ithad something to do with the nervous system. So,I couldn't go even if i realy wanted to. Besides,being 35,I don't think I'd fit in now!

Back to the point here,if she's done a dance version,I'm sure it's listenable enough but there was already a dance version in 1998 from the movie "54" which is about Studio 54 in the 1970s. It was released as a single and got to abou #52 on the charts.

I know Cher is talented but as for looks,I prefered her when she had her original look. I like women when they are natural and be 100% themselves. She's had too much work done for my taste. Give me the Dark Lady days anytime. Been me,later!

PS:I didn't mean to get so personal in the 1st paragraph.

I saw a picture of Cher, without make-up last year, and believe me, it wasn't good. Doesn't surprise me too much, though. She is getting up there in age.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #22
elliot

I just watched the new movie The Wonderland Murders with Val Kilmer about the true case from the 80's in Los Angeles involving John Holmes.

There was great music throughout the movie, but then at the end as John Holmes and his girlfriend were driving away they played "If You Could Read My Mind Love" and I remembered how much my mom and older sister loved Gordon Lightfoot and would play his music all the time.

It brought back alot of memories and it is a poignant song that I really don't think anyone shoulod even attempt to remake. The only one who should ever sing that song is Gordon Lightfoot
Old 03-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #23
elliot

I just watched the new movie The Wonderland Murders with Val Kilmer about the true case from the 80's in Los Angeles involving John Holmes.

There was great music throughout the movie, but then at the end as John Holmes and his girlfriend were driving away they played "If You Could Read My Mind Love" and I remembered how much my mom and older sister loved Gordon Lightfoot and would play his music all the time.

It brought back alot of memories and it is a poignant song that I really don't think anyone shoulod even attempt to remake. The only one who should ever sing that song is Gordon Lightfoot
Old 03-26-2004, 01:57 PM   #24
Rosanna

Well said, Elliot.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:57 PM   #25
Doug Letcher

Well said, Elliot.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote