banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: MISSISSAUGA,Ont.Nov.10-2017-VIDEOS/setlist-12 string Gibson damaged onstage

Wonderful review from a new friend: Katherine Emerson..
https://www.mississauga.com/communit...don-lightfoot/

uReport: A concert review of the legendary Gordon Lightfoot
COMMUNITY 02:22 PM by Katherine D Emerson

On the evening of Nov. 10, the 42nd anniversary of the fatal sinking of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, a total loss of ship and crew, Gordon Lightfoot and his impeccable note-perfect band put on a stellar performance at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga.

It was a full house for Lightfoot's first appearance at the LAC. A crowd awed from start to finish. For me, the evening was made even more special as it was the first time my son had accompanied me to a Gordon Lightfoot concert.

During the performance, Gordon took time to explain that they would play a shortened version of some songs (and the long version of others) to work more material into the time they had. I did not mind this at all, since it meant I got to hear more songs. It made me wonder as to the adjustments Gordon and the band have to make during rehearsals and in concert. After all, they've been playing the long versions for many years.

Gordon's four-member band are a special group of very gifted musicians, able to easily balance and accompany Gordon's voice but yet not overwhelm his performance. Gordon was upbeat and talkative, his singing voice mellow yet solid throughout the evening.

On a fun note, only a few audience members obliged and sang the last two words of River of Darkness ("over me"), something met with huge participation at Massey Hall. Different venue, different comfort level, and the fact that many were likely not aware of this fun ending.

The LAC proved to be a fitting and becoming venue for Lightfoot and his band with both handsome lighting and welcoming acoustics, enhancing the show from beginning to end.

Gordon turned 79 on Nov. 17. Remarkably, he and his band are still touring Canada and the U.S., and even did a U.K. tour in 2016. This year the Canada-U. S. tour included 78 cities.

When the last note was strummed, the evening concluded, the band members quietly left the stage. The spotlight fell back onto Gordon who offered up his traditional exit bow and thumbs-up goodbye. As Gordon strolled off the stage, his hair gently moving from a current of air, guitar tucked under his arm, I was missing him already.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote