banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Seredipitous Gord / Pandora

I was watching an old episode (2005) of the TV show Cold Cases tonight, the episode called "Honor" about Vietnam era POWs. The closing song was If You Could Read My Mind. I really like CC - they have a history of using music suited to either the era or storyline, mostly at the end.

Also - anyone here stream music via Pandora? I bought myself a Kindle Fire recently and am using the free version of Pandora (with a 30 second ad every 6-7 songs) and set it up as a Gordon Lightfoot station. Every time I turn it on, the first song is something by Gord; they stream music by similar artists (Jim Croce, John Denver, the Beatles, Peter Paul & Mary, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, CSN etc.). There are two thumbs on the screen, up or down, to indicate if you like the music playing. Hit the thumbs down and whatever's playing stops. You can have 6 thumbs down in an hour. The program learns as you go along. I find myself listening for an hour or so every evening. They selected Gord's music from everything but the Two Tones (even had one from his latest live album!) though they do seem to go to Gord's Gold fairly often.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
niffer

Default Re: Seredipitous Gord / Pandora

I have Pandora on my iPad. I too have a Gordon Lightfoot channel, in addition to Barenaked Ladies and Blue Rodeo. It's always interesting to see what songs Pandora will choose. With the BNL and Blue Rodeo channels, I am becoming acquainted with some bands I might otherwise never hear. With the Lightfoot channel, there is a lot of Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, and Peter, Paul, and Mary. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
charlene

deja vu all over again..lol!
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ight=cold+case
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Rob1956

That's how Pandora works. When you set up a channel, you aren't just getting a channel exclusive to that artist/band. Pandora is a genome project, which means you need to interact with the thumbs up or down interface to fine tune the channel. If you like say If You Could Read My Mind, then the system will take for granted you like folk-based artists, acoustic guitar, some strings, etc. If you thumbs up, say, Edmund Fitzgerald, the system will throw in folk-based songs with acoustic guitar, but will throw in songs with some electric guitar, etc.
You get 6 songs per hour of your main artist. If you want to send Pandora $36 a year, you get Pandora One. The commercials are gone, you get a couple more songs per hour of your main artist, and the quality of the audio is bumped up. You also get a terrific desktop app to launch Pandora independently without having to open a browser. Listening to Pandora One on my main audio system over a Blu-ray player which has Pandora, I honestly can't tell the difference between my Lightfoot cd's and the internet connection. That's with a very expensive Yamaha receiver which reveals all sorts of flaws in source quality. By the way, they sometimes get it wrong. Last night they played "Steel Rail Blues" showing the Gord's Gold album cover. The version was obviously the one Gord recorded in the '60s, not 1975.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

Gotta say I love it. I find myself listening late at night like I did as a teen. Marvelous thing this technology.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote