banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 01-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i7247

Bush Inauguration to be paid for with Social Security Money

The,uh, pertinent passage reads:

"A glowing [Condoleeza] Rice went on to describe the entertainment planned for the main Bush inaugural dinner. "First there will be a command performance by Cirque du Soleil," she said, "and then Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow will do a slow strip tease to Ashlee Simpson lip syncing Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind. Bushie just loves those girls!" "

For the whole article, see the link above.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
violet Blue Horse

It has to be a spoof. There's not enough left in Social Security to pay for his 40 MILLION dollar inauguration.

Well, okay, I guess he could dip into Medicare and up the cost of a first class stamp again, but that would be a little too obvious.

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i7247

Bush Inauguration to be paid for with Social Security Money

The,uh, pertinent passage reads:

"A glowing [Condoleeza] Rice went on to describe the entertainment planned for the main Bush inaugural dinner. "First there will be a command performance by Cirque du Soleil," she said, "and then Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow will do a slow strip tease to Ashlee Simpson lip syncing Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind. Bushie just loves those girls!" "

For the whole article, see the link above.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Yeah, it's a spoof.

I wouldn't mind so much the privately raised $40 million for 9 - count 'em - 9 balls except they're sticking ALL the security costs to the District of Columbia (estimated to be more than $17 million.) This includes more than 6000 military and civilian security personnel trained in crisis response, according to Homeland Security czar Tom Ridge - with thousands more on standby.

Excerpt from the New York Times:

"In part, the officials said, the extraordinary security arrangements at this year's swearing-in, parade and related events represent a chance for the nearly 50 federal agencies involved to show newly bought exotic equipment, specially trained antiterror units and communications networks put into place after the September 2001 attacks.

"The military will play a more visible role in this inauguration, with 2,500 troops involved in security, said Maj. Gen. Galen B. Jackman, commander of the Joint Task Force-Armed Forces Inaugural Committee, which coordinates military operations for the inauguration.

"We believe we are ready to deter any type of attack," General Jackman said before Mr. Ridge's news conference.

The general wore camouflage gear as he spoke with reporters in front a group of battle-dressed soldiers who carried automatic weapons."

Full article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/12/po...tml?oref=login

(You may have to register to read it. I'm not sure if it'll come up without registration but it's free.)

Somebody only half-jokingly suggested the residents of D.C. block off the district and charge five bucks per head admission to every out-of-district car/bus coming there in the 48 hours preceding the festivities to offset the huge cost.

And did anybody else get a deja vu flash when reading the above description of those May Day parades the Soviets used to put on, showing off the latest missiles as the tanks rolled towards Red Square? Guess I'm showing my age again.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
jj

... Ashlee Simpson lip syncing Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind

...lol, could it also be to I Used To be A Country Singer (or Country Dancer, anyhow )

ps) good thing i was in a bungalow on New Year's 'cos i was tempted to heave the TV out the window everytime she did her little giggle

...my resolution is to try be less annoyed by others (but not necessarily less annoying )

ps2) wow, that's a heck of a party! i think that all our new PM got was a free case of beer ...and some Blockbuster coupons
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
violet Blue Horse

Yep. What ever happened to casual intimate occasions ya know. A few friends, a few laughs, no security and automatic weapons needed.

Oh well, looking on the bright side, once he appoints himself permanent dictator of the "Red Union" and moves the White House to Texas, D.C. won't have to worry about footing the bill next time . . . eh, not that there will be a next time . . .

quote:Originally posted by jj:

ps2) wow, that's a heck of a party! i think that all our new PM got was a free case of beer ...and some Blockbuster coupons

Old 01-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

There's always Jeb
Old 01-19-2005, 04:47 AM   #7
Sundreme

There's always Jeb

As a Floridian I have to say, it comes in kind of handy to have a Governor who happens to be the president's brother. Especially when you get a parade of hurricanes marching through the state and you find yourself strapped for cash for the rebuilding effort.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
violet Blue Horse

Thanks. Needed that. Really. Good of you to bring that up. Love ya. Not.

There's always Jeb