banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #51
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Thanks Cathy, I'll go have a listen right now.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:37 AM   #52
Rebecca

Brian,
Unless that dog is eligible to be included in the Guinness Book of World Records for longevity, I don't think his toenails are an issue any longer . . . although I have heard [unconfirmed] stories of hair and nails continuing to grow long after death. Watchman, do you want to answer this one? I suspect you've probably worked in the funeral industry, or at least received some education in the field, at one time or another.
Rebecca
quote:Originally posted by Brian 57:
So, to sum up where we are so far: It's Gord's Labrador (that is alive and well because Kevin Costner hasn't made a movie with it) that is tapping its paw in time with the music, even though no one needed it to because they can all keep time on their own. Now, who wants to write to Gord and tell him he needs to get his dog's toenails clipped?

Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:58 AM   #53
TheWatchman

Rebecca,

No on all accounts. Although I have been wanting to dig and crack open a coffin for quite some time now, I haven't yet found the time. Personally, I don't believe that with the way they embalm bodies today, that anything would continue to grow.

TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 04:55 PM   #54
titan

You people are sick.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:37 PM   #55
Brian 57

One word: Taxidermy
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #56
Brian 57

Another word: Puppetry
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #57
Borderstone

First let me say,I can't believe this topic has so many messages! I would have responded sooner but my oldestt brother has had my Songbook CD's for 2 weeks now. I listened for the clicking on my original LP and did not notice it there. I have my CD's back now and yes,that's a metronome! Doesn't bother me though,it reminds me of a grandfather clock. Maybe that was the intention? Who knows? Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:10 PM   #58
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by titan:
You people are sick.

You just now figured that out? I may be a little sick, but Rebecca blows me away when it comes to being sick. She is really sick.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:32 PM   #59
gwen snyder

Watchman, you both play off each other so wonderfully. Are you sure you and Rebecca are not the same person?

[This message has been edited by gwen snyder (edited August 26, 2003).]
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:35 PM   #60
Borderstone

Is that like Norman Bates being his own mother?
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:54 PM   #61
TheWatchman

Gwen,

If I were to create an imaginary friend, or foe, I would make it much more interesting than Rebecca. Just joking. Couldn't resist, it was too easy. Have Char check the login ISP to ensure that we are not one in the same.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:50 PM   #62
Rebecca

Watchman, Titan, Gwen, et al,
As hard as it must be to believe, The Watchman and I are indeed two separate and distinct beings. Char and /or the feds can verify this, unless the Watchcmecca uses frequent fliers to maintain computers in different regions of the nation.
Rebecca
P.S. My shrink just gave me a clean bill of health.

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
You just now figured that out? I may be a little sick, but Rebecca blows me away when it comes to being sick. She is really sick.

Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:45 AM   #63
Chris in Virginia

Two pages now! 63 posts and still counting. Is this a great country(insert country), or what?
I realize the world is facing some important issues at this juncture, but an escape to what really matters deep down inside, like the clicking on SFWN, is fabulous. What a great song. If I were to put some clicking on a song, although I probably wouldn't, it would sure sound like that. People would say, "man, that guy can really click."

Sorry for the insipid ramblings of one, and who shall remain, Chris in Virginia.

I'm Out!
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:14 PM   #64
DMD3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by titan:
[B]I have noticed since I purchased my 4 CD box set titled SONGBOOK, that Song for a Winters Night has an annoying clicking noise that starts just before
this song and do not hear that click.

Although I've listened to this song I've never noticed it before. But on Gords Gold Vol. 2 theres a noise in 'All The Lovely Ladies' that sounds like there is something wrong with the CD player. But it is actually part of the music because when you turn the volume up and down it goes up and down with it.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #65
patybear

I heard Song for a Winters Night for the first time today.All I can say is,"WOW!"-Beautiful song.
It gives me goose bumps.I will say that I prefer the'Gord Gold'version over the U/A version.
Gord's voice sounds more mellow on the 'Gords Gold' version.As for the clicking noise,I hear it on the U/A version,but not on the'Gord's Gold'version.I have no idea what it is.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #66
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Rebecca,

No on all accounts. Although I have been wanting to dig and crack open a coffin for quite some time now, I haven't yet found the time. Personally, I don't believe that with the way they embalm bodies today, that anything would continue to grow.
Actually, whenever I stare at old graves (of people that have been buried since the 19th century or longer) I can't help but wonder what a body would look like if I were to dig it up. ANd I am sick.

I know that the skin grows away after death, but I don't see how hair could continue to grow...
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #67
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by patybear:
I heard Song for a Winters Night for the first time today.All I can say is,"WOW!"-Beautiful song.
It gives me goose bumps.I will say that I prefer the'Gord Gold'version over the U/A version.
Gord's voice sounds more mellow on the 'Gords Gold' version.As for the clicking noise,I hear it on the U/A version,but not on the'Gord's Gold'version.I have no idea what it is.
patybear
Me too. The GG version sounds better. I've already forgotten about that clicking noise; it's a great song without it.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #68
TheWatchman

Thanks for reviving this thead! Brings back all sorts of fond memories of my encounter with Gord and now defunct Lyle. Rest in piece little buddy.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #69
brink-

Yep, great memories on this thread.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #70
fezo

Now what I don't get is - forget the metronome, dog toenails or whatever is this phrase:

"If I could know within my heart
That you were lonesome too
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winters night with you."

My question is this: how is he holding her hands if she's not there? This brings up a more disturbing image than our grave robbers in here.

I've always wondered about that line. And now I can't get the click out of my head.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #71
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by fezo:
Now what I don't get is - forget the metronome, dog toenails or whatever is this phrase:

"If I could know within my heart
That you were lonesome too
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winters night with you."

My question is this: how is he holding her hands if she's not there? This brings up a more disturbing image than our grave robbers in here.

I've always wondered about that line. And now I can't get the click out of my head.
He's not. He's saying that he would be happy to hold the hands that he loves, not he's happy holding the hands that he loves. Your reading it as present tense, not as it's written.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #72
fezo

Whew! I was worried.....

Just sounds a little funny in the phrasing. It's a wonderful song!

For something that treats that the really wrong way you'd have to check out the old Tom Lehrer song "I Hold Your Hand in Mine." THAT one is sick in the best sense of the word.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #73
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by fezo:
Whew! I was worried.....

Just sounds a little funny in the phrasing. It's a wonderful song!

For something that treats that the really wrong way you'd have to check out the old Tom Lehrer song "I Hold Your Hand in Mine." THAT one is sick in the best sense of the word.
Your right!! Yuck!

I hold your hand in mine, dear,
I press it to my lips.
I take a healthy bite
From your dainty fingertips.

My joy would be complete, dear,
If you were only here,
But still I keep your hand
As a precious souvenir.

The night you died I cut it off,
I really don't know why.
For now each time I kiss it
I get bloodstains on my tie.

I'm sorry now I killed you,
For our love was something fine,
And till they come to get me
I shall hold your hand in mine.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #74
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

well this one was 3 years and 3 months dormant, LOL. It's so old I barely recognize my own posts. Funny stuff though.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #75
fezo

Watchman - it's actually pretty funny on the record as are all Tom Lehrer's songs. They date back to the late 50s early 60s and there are only three albums worth of songs though there are 5 albums. That's because he duplicated live and studio versions of thr first two. Decided he didn't like performing and went abck to teaching math at Harvard and musical theater at UC Santa Barbara. A short, odd musical career.