banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Melissa

Default Fine as Fine Can Be

I've heard several mentions of Gord singing Fine as Fine Can Be on Wed. night. I'm thrilled to know he's put that one in the rotation. I've never heard him do that one live, but would love to. I'm curious, though - since the version on the record is vocal and piano, that's the only way I've heard it, and I'm anxious to hear someone describe the arrangement that was used in the show the other night. Did Michael accompany him or did he play the guitar?

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be most appreciative.

It sounds like Gord is having a ball out there. Long may he run!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
geodeticman.5

Default Re: Fine as Fine Can Be

Wonderful thing - Loving a daughter that much, to inspire the writing of a song about her..... - I'd give my right arm to have heard the famous Gord-on-piano-bench-playing and singing FAFCB with circa 9 yr. old daughter sitting next to him, looking up at him as he sung it to her. If there were a live DVD of that set, I'd play it for my daughter, and I guarantee no dry eyes would be found
Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
AnneOK

Crawling out of my lurkdom here . . .

My memory's a bit hazy on the exact details of Fine as Fine Can Be, but if I recall correctly the accompaniment was mostly guitar. I don't remember Mike having any more of a prominent role in it than other pieces. I think he mostly added some texture to the mix.

My overall impression of the song was that it was very gentle and sweet. As a second encore, it was a complete surprise following the rocking Blackberry Wine, but it had a lovely Lightfoot lullaby feel to it.

I wish I could give you some more details about the picking -- as I'm sitting here thinking about it, my mind is just playing back the intro to If Children Had Wings -- but if you can imagine a quiet, trickling guitar backdrop overlaying the shading provided by the keyboard you'd have it.

Of course, my memory could be way off. Maybe someone else can describe it more clearly for you!

Anne
AnneOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
timetraveler

All I can say about it is that it has to be the most tender & sweet love song that I've ever heard in ages. Sounds kinda silly, but it brings out tears of joy whenever I listen to it.