banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Englewood New Jersey 8 August 2017 setlists

I have previously mentioned here on corfid that I use a simple Number Rhyme Systen to remember concert setlists and the next morning I was very pleased to find that although Susan had taken my dictated listing down at the venue I could still recall all 27 associations,and they proved to be the same as the setlist published earlier on one of his two Lightfoot Facebook pages by fellow NJ resident Lawrence "Lozzer"Burke.
so I thought that for the record I would include them in my setlist posting but first here is an unsynchronised "video" that appears to have been cobbled together by somebody a lot younger than the speaker using what was most likely in those primitve pre video recorder days of 1974 an audio recording made from the BBC television broadcast of one of clever clogs Tony Buzan's (Booze-an) great series "Use Your Head". this provides a very nice demonstration of the system as spoken by Tony

I used that system on Tuesday evening to recall the set lists, and was pleased to fiind that even now I can still separate the two sets (I tend to recycle pertinent image associations so that it progessively gets more difficult to definitvely know which refer to the most recent concert.
set 1
1. Bun A night watchman having a late snack in a bun hence
The Watchman's Gone
2 . Shoe footsteps in the moon's dust at Tranquility Base in 1969 hence Sea of Tranquility
3. Tree a single tree in the middle of the turning circle at the end of a cul-de-sac (or close) hence Never too Close
4 Door leave out one "O" and change "R" to "N "thus Don Quixote
5 Hive a huge swarm of bees creating a lsrge darkcloud Clouds of Loneliness
6 Sticks a song that always sticks in my mind Minstrel of the Dawn
7 Heaven heavenly (female)body Make Way for the Lady
8 Gate pressing down on an old five barred gate to a field near my old house in the UK
I'd Rather Press On
9 Wine the Beautiful colour of a glass of fine red wine
10.Pen A pleasantly surprising choice Much To My Surprise
11 Two vertical lines. as seen in a naked torso from behind the two shoulder blades
Cold On The Shoulder
12 turned is 21 the age of Sweet Guinevere
13 Lucky number for Gordon
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
(
Gordon said this song changed his life)
14 number of pounds in a UK stone piles of stones supporting the posts of the famous signpost in Arizona Carefree Highway
intermission
1. Bun from the image of one of my favourite LP album cover photos Gordon eating a hamburger
Did She Mention My Name
2. Shoe tied with a ribbon Ribbon of Darkness
3. Tree a tree in front of a colourful sunset Sundown
4. Door Georgian Bay the door to the Great Lakes Christian Island
5.Hive a large beehive casting a large Shadow Shadows
6.Sticks artist's paint brushes A Painter Passing Through
7.Heaven Heavy rain when the heavens opened Rainy Day People
8. Gate swinging/riding on that gate near my old house Let it Ride
9 Wine Gord's most matured song If You Could Read My Mind
10.Pen what is for me the finest song he has penned Restless
11.number of players in a cricket team. cricket is a sport and so is golf (an incident at which inspired Gord to write Baby Step Back)
12.12am is early in the morning Early Morning Rain
13. No problem remembering the unusual encore Waiting For You
we felt ths Gord's voice was especially strong aided by the fact tht we were relaively far back in row Q where the sound came over very much better than in rows nearer the stage
He was pretty talkative twice referring to the fact that they had played this venue only 14 months ago
After IYCRMM he turned his back on the audience got the band to stand to acknowledge the applause and thus caused a standing ovation
his intro to Much To My Surprise began by him asking if we had ever forgotten the words to a song we had written.
I sometimes marvel at how he does remember some of his more convoluted lyrics, I recall that some years ago Don Quixote pulled out his rusty sword twice and on Tuesday I fancy that in Restless both the sky and rail tracks were either overcast/ironclad or ironcast-cast iron!
only one brave soul tried to finish the ending of Ribbon Of Darkness he was rewarded by Gord telling him that he had passed the audition so "please leave your name with the receptionist we'll call you!!"
the story of nearly meeting Elvis in Buffalo was slightly embelished and he said that Elvis also recorded a "rockabilly" version of For Lovin' Me.
The biggest surprise for us was Gord's introduction of the encore. He had come back on still wearing the specially strung Gibson from EMR and started by mentioning Bob Gibson and his song "Sweet Betsy From Pike" as the inspiration for this (final) song.I immediately confused Bob with Mickey Newbery and asumed that the encore was going to be the Canadian Railroad Trilogy,I remember thinking that it would be a most rare combiination of both EMR and CRT. so I was surprised to hear the opening of Waiting For You. which I had hitherto thought might well have been inspired by Gord having to wait whilst Liz got herself ready!!
Anyway I have checked up on the "Betsy" song which appears to be a mid 19th century ode although one lyrics page attributed it to Johnny Cash. there are several versions of the lyrics online but the following snippets to me suggest this song could have inspired CRT. but at the Meet and Greet after the concert Gord stuck to his story that Bob Gibson's Betsy had inspired WFY.
"crossed the big mountains
"Their wagons broke down with a terrible crash
And out on the prairie...."

"They swam the wide rivers and climbed the tall peaks
And camped on the prairies for weeks upon weeks"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
3pennies

Default Re: Englewood New Jersey 8 August 2017 setlists

A great show! Christian Island was fantastic!
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
charlene

this guy gets it: NJ Arts.net

https://www.njarts.net/music/gordon-...its-englewood/

Gordon Lightfoot sings hits and more in Englewood
By: JAY LUSTIG
“I’m Gordon Lightfoot, and reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated,” said Gordon Lightfoot, introducing himself to the crowd at BergenPAC in Englewood, Aug. 8. The veteran singer-songwriter had been the subject of a rather widespread Internet death hoax in 2010.

It was another kind of rumor that I was more concerned with, though. After writing a post about how much I was looking forward to this show, several people had warned me that Lightfoot’s voice was not in great shape, and that I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much.

They were right — to an extent. Lightfoot’s voice, once so rich and resonant, has indeed grown thin and weak. He is now 78, and has had some serious health issues over the last 15 years.

And yet, I’m glad I went. On many songs, there were flashes of his former vocal charm. And on certain songs — “Cold on the Shoulder” in the first half of the show, for instance, and “A Painter Passing Through,” in the second half — he was able to sustain it more or less all the way through. His band, featuring longtime collaborators such as bassist Rick Haynes and keyboardist Mike Heffernan, was absolutely first-rate.

Furthermore … he’s GORDON LIGHTFOOT, someone who, as I mentioned in the earlier post, I’ve been in awe of for decades, but had never previously managed to see in concert.

He seemed to enjoy being there — he says he still does 75 or 80 shows a year, just because he likes it — and told some stories, including one about the time he almost met Elvis Presley (who had recorded two of his songs). He mentioned that he had played BergenPAC just 14 months ago, and so would veer from his usual setlist and do some more obscure material — a nice, thoughtful gesture.

Still, he sang all of his biggest hits: “Sundown,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” “Carefree Highway.”

And so, no, it was not the Gordon Lightfoot concert experience of my wildest dreams. But I got to hear all those songs and — I know this is going to sound corny — spend a couple of hours in the presence of a great artist. That is, after all, part of what concert-going is all about.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
this guy gets it: NJ Arts.net

https://www.njarts.net/music/gordon-...its-englewood/

Gordon Lightfoot sings hits and more in Englewood
Great find Char but to add a bit more to it
there is one rather nice and very pertinent comment on this article

Great review! Taking the artists age and history into account and providing an honest assessment, influenced by admiration and satisfaction. I saw him five years ago and it was very similar. Aged but proud!
It drives me flipping nuts when people comment on he Stephen Stills / Judy Collins tour and claim Stills voice is shot. Of course it’s fucking shot! If you saw CSN or The Rides over the past fifteen years you would had have a flipping clue. His voice is shot! Yeah, and you’ve gained weight!! Shut the hell up and respect an artist that has been able to maintain progression in his craft as he reaches an age that I’m praying to reach. I’m glad you enjoyed the show. I need a drink…
Also the full text of the article that Char posted includes a hyperlink referring to his admission
"After writing a post about how much I was looking forward to this show,"
that quote phrase in the article was in fact a hyperlink to:-
https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/word...don-lightfoot/
several people had warned me that Lightfoot’s voice was not in great shape, and that I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much.
They were right - to an extent. Lightfoot’s voice, once so rich and resonant, has indeed grown thin and weak. He is now 78, and has had some serious health issues over the last 15 years.
the hyperlink is to a previous article by the same reporter
which features the same photo of Gordon

[I]I can’t think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don’t like. Everytime I hear a song of his, it’s like I wish it would last forever." Bob Dylan
"It’s just like that’s what should be in a dictionary, you know, next to a really good contemporary folk song, is a Gordon Lightfoot song." John PrinePeople who go to a lot of concerts and I know there are a lot of them among NJArts.net readers will recognize this phenomenon. There’s an artist you’ve always liked, but you’ve just never managed to see. Not for any particular reason: It just never happened. And then, finally, you get the chance.
I’ve been a fan of Gordon Lightfoot since the ’70s. Not a huge, know-every-word-to-every-song kind of fan, but a big fan, nevertheless. And in almost 40 years of frequent concert-going, and more than 30 years of professional reviewing, I’ve never seen him live.
And that’s kind of ridiculous, given that he seems to be on the road pretty much all the time. Even now, at 78.
But I’m going to see him Aug. 8 at Bergen PAC in Englewood. I just saw it on the schedule and felt, strongly, "No, you’re not going to miss him again, this time."
So the point of this post is just to say, I’m very happy that Gordon Lightfoot is still on the road, and that there are places like BergenPAC that give people like him an opportunity to perform in New Jersey, and that I’m going to be able to see him. Finally.
I’m really looking forward to this show. Just thinking about it makes me feel, in some small way, like being a teenager again, listening to the Sundown album over and over. Not just the megahit title track but "Carefree Highway" and "The Watchman’s Gone" and "Circle of Steel" and "The List" songs that are embedded into my mind just as deeply as just about any music of that era.
So I just wanted to share that, and to say I’d be interested in hearing from you: Are there any musicians you have always wanted to see in concert, but keep missing for one reason or another? Or have you had any memorable experiences seeing someone in concert for the first time after being a fan for many years? Please let me know in the comments section below.
there are so far two comments the first extolling similar virtues for Smokey Robinson the other just:-
"Saw him at Carnegie Hall in the early ’70s"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-23-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
johnfowles

I had forgotten to mention the stunning new backdrops please see
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...52&postcount=3
for some preliminary details

I meant no one no harm

Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
charlene

Hey John...can u just list the songs....?
Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 AM   #7
Jim Nasium

Is posting blue script on a blue background a smart move?
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
James my apologies I had realised my error but the friggin' board would not let me friggin edit it! when tried the entire text box was bloody empty and I did not feel inclined to waste time by deleting and starting over

I meant no one no harm

Old 08-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
johnfowles

Quote:
Sure I did originally intend adding the numbered list honest but forgot Yer Tis:-
Here is the set list as posted on Facebook too:
1. The Watchman's Gone
2. Sea of Tranquility
3. Never Too Close
4. Don Quixote
5. Clouds of Loneliness
6. Minstrel of the Dawn
7. Make Way For The Lady
8. I'd Rather Press On
9. Beautiful
10. Much To My Surprise
11. Cold On The Shoulder
12. Sweet Guinevere
13. Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (Gordon said this song changed his life)
14. Carefree Highway
INTERMISSION
15. Did She Mention My Name
16. Ribbon of Darkness
17. Sundown
18. Christian Island
19. Shadows
20. A Painter Passing Through
21 Rainy Day People
22. Let It Ride
23. If You Could Read My Mind
24. Restless
25. Baby Step Back (Before which he did the "rock pile joke)
26. Early Morning Rain (before which he told the story of "almost meeting Elvis"
27. ENCORE: Waiting For You.

I meant no one no harm

Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
charlene

thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
imported_Next_Saturday

Old 09-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
Jim I finally solved that little problem by reopening the thread with Chrome then, although inexplicably Internet Explorer had declined to show my text in order to edit it Google's Chrome did the honoUrs so that I could replace the default blue text for showing a URL with orange text using the "insert link" facility on the tool menu above.
I must remember that little workaround the next time I go to edit one of my posts and get a distressingly empty editing box (It has frequently afflicted me) Has anybody else been annoyed by such stoopid browser behavior here I wonder??

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
imported_Next_Saturday

Internet explorer is the worst. Chrome or Firefox is the way to go.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
Internet explorer is the worst. Chrome or Firefox is the way to go.
Or Edge?? fogedaboudit

I meant no one no harm

Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #15
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
there was no stopping his set list.

Which brings us to my standard comment that I don't do set lists and since Lisa (formerlylavender) was unable to join us I've got nothing
Cop out!!
Quote:
I am most disappointed that the main response to my posting was the one above by Char.I had made a big effort to try to explain how the "number rhyme" system could be usefully utilised in practice by old farts like BillW whose memory could possibly be improved by an injection of a substance "originally found in jellyfish"
There may well be other uses that you could put it to Bill so do give it a try you can easily practice on any other list (a shopping one for example) of course. My main point is that it sure beats trying to write a legible list during a concert and is an alternative to another obvious method for "doing setlists".
My people have on them a cell phone that can shoot video etc which could be used as an ersatz dictating macihne to either record the song titles as they occur or even to record a short clip of each song to enable easy compiling of a setlist later
Reading PA was the ninth concert since my posting and so far only 2 of those have setlists featured on
http://lightfoot.ca/2017.htm
but the setlist for the recent Worcester MA concert may be gleaned from
a fine albeit lengthy report on
https://worcestermag.com/2017/09/21/...orcester/53798
1,Waiting For You
2.Now And Then
3.Nver Too Close
4. Don Quixote
5.Make Way For The Lady
6. A Painter Passing Through
I’d Rather Press On
8.Let It Ride
9,Beautiful
10.The Watchman’s Gone
11.The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (a.k.a 2 Teff)
12.Did She Mention My Name
13,Ribbon of Darkness
14.Sundown
15.Spanish Moss
16,Shadows
17.Rainy Day People
18 Minstrel Of The Dawn
19.If You Could Read My Mind,
20.Restless
21.Baby Step Back
22;Canadian Railroad Trilogy
23.Song for a Winter’s Night
I rest my case

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-25-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #16
charlene

I received some messages that people could not decipher through the "memory' stuff and just read the setlist as they wanted. The instructions for the 'memory' tips can be posted elsewhere. We've all read the tips and chosen to not do them...