banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-06-2002, 05:27 PM   #26
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

November of 2003 seems to be a very popular guess. Please make sure you pick a unique date. First posted would be the tiebreaker.I hope it's out by then and I have payed off the winner, thinking positively! Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 12:15 AM   #27
GregM

I am surprised that no one has mentioned 1 thing here. Gordon Lightfoot is a man without a record label. Hopefully that will change very soon. I wonder where he will end up?

Greg
Old 09-09-2002, 03:31 AM   #28
violet

I'll try. I say August 16th, 2003.

Get well Gordon.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #29
ColoradoSue

Send a message via AIM to ColoradoSue

quote:Originally posted by GregM:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned 1 thing here. Gordon Lightfoot is a man without a record label. Hopefully that will change very soon. I wonder where he will end up?

Greg

Greg:
Forgive my stupidity here but, I've been waaaay out of touch (for the past 5-6 years)with the goings on regarding Gordy's life (until Sept 8th!).
What do you mean Gordy is without a label?
I thought he was with a record label? (Warner)

Thanks much...

------------------
"Mathematics is well & good but, Nature keeps dragging us around by the nose."
Albert Einstein
ColoradoSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:05 PM   #30
fowlesjohn@hotmail.com

I din't think that anybody has yet picked September 8th A truly momentuous day in his life! Next should be a contest to guess the contents of the new CD excluding the 4 or 5 known songs that he has been singing in concerts this year so far or maybe a suggestion list of songs we wish he would record??
don't forget my Webring Ringmaster's page at http://www.lightfoot.shorturl.com
Old 09-16-2002, 07:38 PM   #31
BILLW

C'mon folks, there's still a bunch of you who have not posted a date/guess yet. I may have to raise the stakes again to stir interest but for now the deal is: The person with the closest guess at least one (1) month before the news is posted on Val's site gets the CD FREE from me. No strings, no double meanings, FREE from me. So let's get posting. You gotta believe there will be a NEXT ONE!!!!
Bill
Old 10-02-2002, 06:05 AM   #32
Auburn Annie

January 8 2004
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:49 PM   #33
BILLW

My updated guess, although it doesn't count since I can't win is 10 November 2003.
Bill

C'mon folks, keep guessing, don't give up yet!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:41 PM   #34
Melissa

Um, OK, here's my prediction:
August 10, 2004.

And no, I'm not a pessimist! Just a realist. We all know what a perfectionist Gordon is, and he won't go into the studio until he's 100% healthy and able to put out a great album - just like all the rest of them! You just take your time, Gordon - we'll all be here for you, whenever you're ready.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:16 AM   #35
jbt

billw
how DARE you steal my beautiful sister's guess date??
lavender (or is it formerly lavender) was on 11/10/03 long before even you, my great friend.
perhaps my disappointment will be clouded by an eagles victory tomorrow.
haha
and thanks, bill, for posting a reply to my phil thread in small talk

adiosmosis

jbt
Old 10-06-2002, 06:46 AM   #36
BILLW

jbt,
you're right, and according to the rules, she will win since she posted first, and the official running the contest, me, can't win, we all know that. But I'm sticking to it. I'm trying to get the Baltimore Ravens Football Team to play Lightfoot tunes at the stadium over the loudspeakers, so far no luck, but we do get some Hendrix.
Bill
Old 12-11-2002, 07:41 AM   #37
BILLW

Hi everyone,

Just brought this one back to the top of the list so that all our new friends can post their prediction for the release date of THE NEXT ONE (GLs next original CD that is.)

Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #38
Auburn Annie

Maybe he should call it THE NEXT ONE <g>.
You've already got my date, January 8 2004.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:17 PM   #39
brantford fan

I'm thinking around fall 2003
Old 12-11-2002, 06:56 PM   #40
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by paddletothesea:
Think about this. Gord has been in the hospital now for 3 months. He just got out of ICU. I would assume he will be in there for at least another month or 2. This is serious. So for someone who will have been in a hospitol for almost 1/2 a year with very little excercise its unlikly they will jump up and resume where they left off.
Gord is a travis style player in most songs. His calluses on his fingers are probably no as good as before thue he will need to work them back into shape. HE will be weak from laying down for that long and will require some time to regain muscle strength and optimum cordination.

My guess is that's what the latest press release means by "regaining his strength" - physical therapy and rehabilitation for what's called disuse atrophy. He'll have to rebuild strength in his legs, arms, heart, and lungs. And it will take time, though I expect once he's well into a routine, he can continue the work in Toronto either at home or a local outpatient clinic under his own doctor's supervision.
I don't think the finger work will take quite as long (muscle memory - he's been playing for such a long time the brain is wired to 'remember' and the movements should come back with concentrated practice.)
It would be nice to think he might be discharged in time to be home for Christmas - we can hope <g>.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:08 PM   #41
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
I think Gord being the perfectionist that he is, and has been all these years, will lead to a very quick recovery, musically speaking.

I agree, Watchman. I quit playing the guitar for about 13 years after my kids were born. When I started playing again, it hurt like crazy, and took about two months to get my calluses built back up, but I didn't really forget much. As far as remembering chords and picking patterns, it all came back within a few weeks. And Gord doesn't have to worry about building up calluses on his picking hand. He uses his fingernails, which are probably still in pretty good shape.

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:13 AM   #42
Rob1956

I would hazard to guess that Gord will take a long, hard look at how he feels about his level of performance before he takes to the stage again. I think he will want to IF he feels that he's up to it. For a while in the mid 90's he had taken to sitting on a bench
for a few songs to get a breather, but I think he had stopped that by 2000. I'll bet he does a few full length test concerts and videotapes them to see how he presents himself on stage. Then only if he's ok with what he sees, he might very well start with a few dates. I don't think he'll ever tour to the extent he was just before he got sick.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 11:42 AM   #43
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by Rob1956:
For a while in the mid 90's he had taken to sitting on a bench
for a few songs to get a breather, but I think he had stopped that by 2000....

Probably less a function of age but his smoking - and I expect that's done. With cardiopulmonary rehab he can restore a lot of lung power and general stamina. Damage to vocal cords from intubation happens but is uncommon (and remember, they *know* who they're working on here.) Smoking cessation can change the speaking voice anyway. I don't know about the singing voice but I wouldn't be surprised if it smoothed it out a bit. An article on John Fogerty of CCR mentions this ("there's no question that the combined effects of smoking cessation and the natural aging process have mellowed his voice.")
Surprisingly, coffee - even decaf - also is a no-no for singers, as are chocolate [sob], alcohol, dairy products and spicy foods.

Old 12-13-2002, 11:58 AM   #44
Oma

Please put me down for Feb,16 2004.

Oh, I am wondering why I couldn't see any of the new posts on this one topic until today??? Any ideas?
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 05:32 AM   #45
BILLW

OK Oma you're down. Now that chances have improved 100% I'm looking forward again to paying off someday.

Bill

(the posts not showing up happens sometimes, don't have a clue as to why, I'll leave that to some webheads to detail for us)
Old 12-16-2002, 12:04 PM   #46
christine in michigan

I would say May 2nd 2003. That would be my 28th birthday!

But, I might be wrong. He does need time to get better first before anything else.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:48 PM   #47
GregM

quote:Originally posted by ColoradoSue:
Greg:
Forgive my stupidity here but, I've been waaaay out of touch (for the past 5-6 years)with the goings on regarding Gordy's life (until Sept 8th!).
What do you mean Gordy is without a label?
I thought he was with a record label? (Warner)

Thanks much...

A Painter Passing Through was his last album of ORIGINAL material for his label (Reprise/Warner) According to my contact (Thane Tierney at WEA/Rhino), Gordon is no longer on the label. Where he ends up is anybody's guess.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:27 AM   #48
Rob1956

Was he dropped by Warners, or did he not
want to re-sign?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:41 PM   #49
BILLW

Hello everyone,

Now that there's good news and hopefully the 20th album someday in the future I just wanted you to know that this contest is still ON. I will pay off, no doubt. So place your bets and keep your fingers crossed.

Peace

Bill
Old 04-22-2003, 04:59 AM   #50
BILLW

I forgot to mention last night that everyone who has already posted a guess before GL got sick should feel free to revise and amend their picks (dates) to reflect the current situation.
Thanks,
Bill