banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Massey Hall Toronto May 2008-anticipation!

It's almost here folks. That big big event that all Lightfoot fans yearn for. Attending a Gordon Lightfoot concert in Massey Hall. It sure is a great feeling seeing familiar faces once again and meeting new fans. Just a note that might help folks who are coming into town on flights. It's very reasonable to travel to most parts of Toronto on public transit. From the Toronto (Pearson) Airport for $2.75 you can get to the downtown area quite easily. If you are staying in the Delta Chelsea Hotel, where most folks stay, you would take the bus (Airport Rocket) it's called and it leaves from all three terminals regularly. The bus will take you into the "Kipling" subway station where you would board the train and get off at the "Yonge" station. (about 20 minutes) From there you take the southbound train to the "College" station (less than 5 minutes) where you get off the train and walk a short distance south on Yonge St. to Gerrard St. where the hotel is located. Maps of the subway routes are posted on all trains and are quite easy to follow. The Toronto folks are very helpful with giving directions so don't be afraid to ask when in doubt. It's helps when you travel light. See you there and a safe trip for us all. Cheers, Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Massey Hall Toronto May 2008

See ya there RJ!! - One week to go..
I'm heading in, as usual, on the GO train and then the subway to College..
Should be at the Delta around 2..
A bit cool here today.

Weather can be checked at: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0696
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

See y'all soon.

Thanks for the info but after spending nearly 40 years living and working in NYC I am 'so done' with public transportation. And we don't really know how to travel light. I'm kidding, sort of, of course. Hope to meet those of you I haven't met yet and get to see the rest of you again.

BTW in case you want to hide from me... I'm the old guy with the Hawaiian shirts and really short hair (what's left) who comes up with the most appropriate shout-outs to Gord that you're likely to hear. Very tasteful, understated and reserved comments.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
See ya there RJ!! - One week to go..
I'm heading in, as usual, on the GO train and then the subway to College..
Should be at the Delta around 2..
A bit cool here today.

Weather can be checked at: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0696
"at the Delta around 2.. and for all you do, a bottle of fine Merlot will be delivered to you." RJ.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
charlene

RJ - I love you..
Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
RJ - I love you..
Char: I love you too, as the folks here do; there's no end to a poem that keeps getting through. RJ.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Hi Ron,

thanks for the info!! It's very much appreciated. I was thinking to take a cab to the hotel ( staying at the Best Western ) but if public transportation is that good from the airport, I'll probably try that - way cheaper anyway.

Hope to see you there!!! ( I'm only in for Friday & Saturday though )

Slowly I'm getting very excited - it's my first time at Massey...
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
lighthead2toe

Nice to hear you're coming in to join us Claudia. I'm assuming that you're staying at the downtown Best Western Hotel which is located very close to the "College" St. subway station. So you're very close to everything and everybody. If you arrive early enough on the Friday you could join us at the pub. We're a very approachable group so don't be shy. I'll give you my cell # in a private email. You'll love Massey for sure. I'm on my way to the airport now. Cheers. Ron.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
My dad used to wear those shirts lol. Might be a little chilly for them lol. People shout at Massey? Really?
Yeah I get a lot of those "you remind me of my Dad". But it's never too chilly for a good shirt - wore 'em in Hamilton in November, eh? I don't know if people shout at Massey - this will be our first visit. However... I believe their are a few versions of Gord Fans...some act as if they're at a High Mass on Christmas Eve and shush you if you sneeze and some are there to party with their favorite singer and celebrate life with him. And I'm sure you could name a few others.

I don't count the people who just come and talk or who remark how freakin' old that guy looks. Or the spouses and friends who were dragged in kicking and screaming. I'm talking about real die-hard Gordon Lightfoot fans. I believe we have a big tent, as they say, and we come from all walks of life. Some of us shout, some of us gaze in reverent awe and still others try to keep from fainting... But you buy your ticket and take the ride.

I know I'm getting excited because I'm running off at the mouth - sorry.

Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Patti

Don't be sorry. Stay excited like that. It's nice to hear you running. Hope you all have a good time and don't forget I love him sooooooooooooo much.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
formerlylavender

Have fun everyone!

Billw, that's great that you will be going to Massey for the first time. I agree with your versions of Gord fans - I think we're in the latter - I'm not into shushing. Anyway, I hope to see you next month at the Keswick.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
BILLW

Quote:
gee Bill...I hope you know I meant the Hawaiian shirt comment as a compliment But my dad only wore them after the 4th of July

I've been to some of Gord's concert's that were very 'reserved' and other venues where it's more lively. Not too many in between -it's always been one way or the other. I've never been to Massey so I don't know if it's customarily a more lively crowd or not. I was just curious -thought you had been there b4.
Of course I took it as a compliment - no worries there. And it works for me - people can find me or avoid me as suits them, LOL. I've tried a few times for Massey and had to sell my tickets before but this time looks like the charm. God willing the river don't rise ! Have a safe trip.

Bill
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Jesse Joe

Hope you have a great time in TO Bill.

I thought I saw a post from you saying that it's going to be your first Massey Hall concert ?
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Hope you have a great time in TO Bill.

I thought I saw a post from you saying that it's going to be your first Massey Hall concert ?
True Jesse Joe. First time at Massey ! And I'll be 55 just 4 days later so it's taken awhile, LOL. My only trip to Canada before this was to see the comeback shows in Hamilton. My wife used to vacation in Canada as a kid but this will be our first trip up north as a family. So watch out !

Bill
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
So watch out !
Perhaps someone should notify Lightfoot of this imminent invasion.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Perhaps someone should notify Lightfoot of this imminent invasion.
LOL! - He knows The Net People will be there but just WHO comprises the group this time will be a surprise for him..
lol
There will be a few other first timers coming to Toronto/Massey Hall so it will be fun to view it all thru their eyes..

There's a few birthdays in May - Paul celebrated his today in Norwich England and is looking forward to arriving here on Tuesday. Brian celebrates on the 14th and arrives in Toronto on Friday, Anne is a May 28 birthday baby, arriving on Wednesday, Harold is May 10th and Meredith Lightfoot will be 14 on May 11 which is also Mothers Day..
Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

That's going to be a lot of people to wish a Happy Birthday !
Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

Quote:
wooooHOOOOOOO I'm still packing my bags and doing all those last minute things before heading to Gordland

This will be the longest I've ever spent up there - and I've never been to Toronto . I'm really looking forward to experiencing the Lightfoot Massey Hall tradition! Getting pretty excited here! Can't wait to meet all of you and I'm especially looking forward to the time I'll be spending with my hosts -Cathy and Yuri .

I wish everyone on Corfid could be there and I'll report back ASAP and will try to get lots of photos to post!!

ciao
Pam

Sorry I missed your post about you going to Toronto. Have a great time distant cousin at Massey Hall. If it's your first in TO, you got a go to the top of that beautiful CN Tower, looking down that glass floor elevator.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 05-05-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Sitting here in a plumbing technical committee meeting in Denver, I'm thinking back to the times I've been able to attend the gatherings and concerts there in Toronto at Massey Hall with fellow fans and friends.

It was 10 years ago (egads, not possible) my wife and I stormed Sam the Record Mans for the release of A Painter Passing Through. Lightfoot made a personal appearance, signing all manner of keepsakes for several hours. It was followed by 4 evenings of concerts. What a time that was!!

I pray this will not be the last opportunity we have to visit Massey with our Bard centerstage.

Remember you "NET" people represent the rest of us poor unfortunate souls who for whatever reason are not present. Keep us up to date on what's going on, not just at Massey but before and after also. Above all have a great time and make great memories.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It was 10 years ago (egads, not possible) my wife and I stormed Sam the Record Mans for the release of A Painter Passing Through. Lightfoot made a personal appearance, signing all manner of keepsakes for several hours. It was followed by 4 evenings of concerts. What a time that was!!

It will be different without a visit to Sam's for many of the Net People coming into town..the building is there but the store is empty..

It would have been great to see you and Charlotte again Doug but hopefully November 2009 will see The Church of Gord with full attendance and you two sitting in the pews with the rest of us!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #21
Nightingale

I hope all of you have a great time there in Toronto.

That's got to be a really special time for everyone, including Gordon.
He is very fortunate to have friends like all of you that love and support him.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers for a safe and happy time together.
Looking forward to the pictures and stories
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #22
Blackberry John

Look what I found:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=62127

Gordon Lightfoot
Massey Hall
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
May 7, 2008

Disk 1 (48 mins) 1st set