banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #26
Restless

quote:Originally posted by bhil3:
Does anybody know if this song is about a particular event? And if so, what? Or is it just made up?

This is probably the most famous riots in US history. http://www.67riots.rutgers.edu/d_index.htm
Above is a complete history with great photos of the riots and more.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #27
Restless

quote:Originally posted by Kilgore:
I would think he meant a bad day when he sings black day. The word black in this case has nothing to do with race.

Gord has always been aware in his songs of those who are mistreated or the "have-nots". Many of his songs deal with these social issues

Kilgore: Heres a brief history lesson regarding the origin of Gords song. http://www.67riots.rutgers.edu/d_index.htm
Old 01-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #28
Restless

quote:Originally posted by miketouhy:
Quote:
Originally posted by young stranger:
Black Day in July is about the riots that occurred in Detroit in the summer of 1967. Apparently, police raided a black club and things got out of hand. It went on for a few days and the military was called in to restore order. It was very violent, many business were destroyed, and about 43 people were killed. You can find a lot of information about the event just by doing an internet search for Detroit riots or 1967 Detroit riots. Incidently, I read an interview with Gord in which he indicated that he doesn't play that song anymore since it is such a sensitive issue.
wonder why he would stop playing it just because of that?
Gord himself had this to say in a recent interview: " The song BDIJ served its purpose, it ran its course so we dont do it anymore."
Old 01-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #29
Restless

you know hearing the song for the 1st time today, the song sounds a little strange though it's not a bad song either. he keeps repeating the title of the songs and while it's not unusual in most songs to have the title of them to be repeated, in this case it does. the totle also seems odd. i probably would of called it Riots In Detroit or Summertime Riots.

I think the title is perfect. "Black" is NOT a reference to skin color but a reference to the dark days we are experiencing such as the dark days during the riots. DArk meaning dire, dismal, ahh look what we've done now days!

Old 01-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #30
gregnkw

I don't see why he would stop performing in in concerts, although I can understand why they would have a problem with it being aired on the radio.
gregnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #31
Harmony

I don't see why he would stop performing in in concerts, although I can understand why they would have a problem with it being aired on the radio.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #32
miketouhy

Valeree once said to me durring the time she operated her tribute site to him he was or might of been critisized for his song and perhaps a bit of predjudice was aimed at him due to the fact he was Canadian. and while it was the worst of that time, i'm sure some felt funny about the song because it was obviously just about the Detriot riots and this happened nationwide through the mid and late 60s. it'sd interesting when you stop to think about these things isn't it?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #33
miketouhy

Valeree once said to me durring the time she operated her tribute site to him he was or might of been critisized for his song and perhaps a bit of predjudice was aimed at him due to the fact he was Canadian. and while it was the worst of that time, i'm sure some felt funny about the song because it was obviously just about the Detriot riots and this happened nationwide through the mid and late 60s. it'sd interesting when you stop to think about these things isn't it?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #34
Sentimental

I may be crazy but I always thought the title was from a newpaper headline. In fact, I can see it in my mind. Pretty catchy blub.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #35
Sentimental

Sorry, I meant to say blurb.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #36
JohnBellardJr

Can remember an interview (in fact have it on tape) where Gord made reference to the fact that he thought that because he was Canadian, and the riots took place in the US, that he should keep rather a low profile
when speaking about it.

------------------
"Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all." - GL
JohnBellardJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #37
Aime_41

Can remember an interview (in fact have it on tape) where Gord made reference to the fact that he thought that because he was Canadian, and the riots took place in the US, that he should keep rather a low profile
when speaking about it.

------------------
"Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all." - GL
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #38
JohnBellardJr

I would think he meant a bad day when he sings black day. The word black in this case has nothing to do with race.

Gord has always been aware in his songs of those who are mistreated or the "have-nots". Many of his songs deal with these social issues

You're so right. "Black" in this instance did not refer to the "race" but to the deeds that were done.

------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #39
Aime_41

You're so right. "Black" in this instance did not refer to the "race" but to the deeds that were done.

------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #40
donalli

does the name black day in july mean that the riot happened at night?
donalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #41
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by idlt4:

Probably the word "black" is used to describe
the horrific nature of the crimes. But, the
riots went on day and night.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #42
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by idlt4:

Probably the word "black" is used to describe
the horrific nature of the crimes. But, the
riots went on day and night.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #43
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Aime_41:
when speaking about it.

i'm sure there was a predjudice on him as aresult of him being Canadian. some in the Detroit area might of also have been bugged by it bcause this had been going on nationwide through the mid to late 60s and 1 might of wondered and bothered by the fact he chose their cityfor his song. it was probably the fact he was from south-western Ontario probably not to far from the US Can. border witch was why he wrote about Detroit. > i inquired about this once not long after i joined and it's posted back a ways that the song was released a little before Martin L. King's assasination and many might of been afraid thew song would cause more trouble perhaps even futher riots witch already happened as a result of you know what.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #44
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Aime_41:
when speaking about it.

i'm sure there was a predjudice on him as aresult of him being Canadian. some in the Detroit area might of also have been bugged by it bcause this had been going on nationwide through the mid to late 60s and 1 might of wondered and bothered by the fact he chose their cityfor his song. it was probably the fact he was from south-western Ontario probably not to far from the US Can. border witch was why he wrote about Detroit. > i inquired about this once not long after i joined and it's posted back a ways that the song was released a little before Martin L. King's assasination and many might of been afraid thew song would cause more trouble perhaps even futher riots witch already happened as a result of you know what.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #45
miketouhy

i was just wondering amyone knoe the exact date the song was released. i know with this month comming to an end and April 4th is the date Martin L. King was killed and while i just check the CBC archives of his radio interview and while the footnote says released after King's death, i think he it might of been released shortly before according to the interview.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #46
miketouhy

i was just wondering amyone knoe the exact date the song was released. i know with this month comming to an end and April 4th is the date Martin L. King was killed and while i just check the CBC archives of his radio interview and while the footnote says released after King's death, i think he it might of been released shortly before according to the interview.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #47
Wesley

with this being July I wonder if now was the time the larest race riot of the 60s occured.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #48
Affair on Touhy Ave.

with this being July I wonder if now was the time the larest race riot of the 60s occured.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:24 PM   #49
Borderstone

No,the biggest riot of the 1960's (correct me if I'm wrong) were the L.A./Watts riot of 1964. For info. on that go to a search engine and type in "Watts Riots 1964".

As for the Detroit riot,I found a site by typing in 1967 Riots July and it took me right to it. This riot started 38 years ago on Sunday,July 23rd (yesterday) and lasted until Thursday,July 27th.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #50
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I have to disagree. I have a book and say Detroit was the worst unless you have some other info that says differently. Watta was in 65.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote