banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Kelly Davis

Default Turn off Gordon?!! Am I nuts??!!!!!!!!

I was going into my local music store a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as I get ready to turn the car off, on the radio comes "Carefree Highway".

What do I do? Turn off the car, or sit for the duration of the song and just listen and "soak in"
Gord? I turned off the car because I was running late.

How many Corfidians have had the same type of experience?
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia
Default Re: Turn off Gordon?!! Am I nuts??!!!!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean....

How often did I linger a lot longer in that dull grocery store because I heard 'Sundown' or another Gord song. Makes me smile all the time and I want to shout out: "Hey all you dumb and ignorant shoppers, just listen to that great music...." Of course they probably couldn't care less - their loss...
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Kerstin

I have that, when I'm driving. I just hate to turn off the car in the middle of one of Gordon's songs, even if it is just on one of my CDs.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerstin View Post
I have that, when I'm driving. I just hate to turn off the car in the middle of one of Gordon's songs, even if it is just on one of my CDs.
I Agree, yes! There's just something special about hearing it on the public air waves for EVERYONE to hear!

It happened to me last spring while I was pumping gas. They had "outdoor music" at the pumps, and I think it was Rainy Day People, but there I stood like an idiot after my car was filled, waiting for the song to end.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Dream Street Rose

Okay, old Rose is the crazy Lighthead.

When we were traveling to Arizona a few weeks ago it happened. I thought our little dog Baby was having a sizure so I had Ken stop the car. I opened my door and he got out of the car and ran around to where Baby was. I had my hand up to help when slam, the door closed and three of my fingers were in that door. I was crying in pain but glad Baby was okay. Ken got me some ice and quickly drove the rest of the way to our friends house where we were staying. We had not heard any Lightfoot on the radio in the two days of travel. As Ken pulled in the driveway and I was still crying, The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald came on the radio. I would not let Ken turn the car off and I sat there alone, crying in pain listening to Gordon sing. Some how I thought that was the best medicine ever. My fingers were not broken and I had to hear the entire song no matter what.

"Turn off Gordon?!! I am nuts!!!!!!!

Thank you for reading all this. I hope it makes sense.

DSR
Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Borderstone

When I worked at the hotel,we had satellite radio in our smaller ballroom and i would always (when working alone) put on the channel "Acoustic Crossroads",'cause i knew they had to play Gordon eventually.

One day,unexpectedly a co-worker showed up saying he'd been called in to work. My station stayed on and then "Pony Man" came on. This guy being younger asked me to "please put somethin' else on!" I wouldn't and he just said "Whatever."

Otherwise,when alone,Gord would come on and I'd stop working for 3+ minutes.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

Oh I've done that in the grocery store - wandered an extra aisle or two until the song finishes. Nothing drives me more nuts than listening to a song on a radio station and they cut away before the end of a song, any song. Grrrrr.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
podunklander

A few weeks ago while grocery shopping, "Beautiful" was playing and I perked right up! Just a few bars into the song it was cut off by , "Good day shoppers and welcome to your neighborhood Big Y supermarket where this week's specials include a fabulous buy one, get two free 12oz bottles of Newman's Own salad dressing..."

And I just want this dude to shut up already so I can listen to the song and go about doing one of my least favorite tasks and when finally, the announcement ends...only the last 5 notes of the song remain. Then I end up more grumpy than I was when I entered the store!

Pam