banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2006, 12:14 AM   #51
joveski

also, not forgetting the mariposa 72 folk fest:

joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #52
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by joveski:
also, not forgetting the mariposa 72 folk fest:
very true Mende I had concentrated on the other pic because Paul had specified a jamming session picture
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #53
Peter Bro10

First off, this the longest thread I've come acrossed yet! Wow!
Great pics that I've not seen before. Thanks for posting them.
John, I plan on trying your crash coarse on picture posting later today or tonight. I have in mind scanning my new most highly prized posession, My Gordon Lightfoot autographed concert ticket stub from this years show in Aurora IL!!!!! I just received it back in the mail earlier this week and is now on display in my den. I'll probably try this out in the test forum... just seems appropriate.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #54
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Timetraveler - I think you misunderstood me
The book, as I mentioned when read in context, said nothing pejorative or even mildly unseemly of either Gordon, whom I have the utmost respect for - for 36 years now my musical strength and inspiration. Nor Waronker, of whom I have only read of the collaboration by virtue of the album covers and occassional reference in writing.

The Rolling Stone book simply acknowledged the apparent fact of Waronker stating truthfully and greatfully that Gordon and James Taylor were his big moneymakers; the term cash cow was used by the article writer, not Waronker or myself. No one said aything negative, esepcially I, of any of them. I simply mused over how, as you might read again, that to even refer to Lightfoot and JT as "cash cows" (by the articfle writer) made me gag, when compared to the remarkably beautiful artistry Gordon has gifted us with. Money has never been mentioned as Gord's motivator; far from it in his Quixotic and compassionate view of the world IMO.

I always enjoy reading your posts, timetraveler, and I think a quick re-read of my post, although tired when I wrote it, was an outpouring of admiration for Lightfoot. I simply used the Rolling Stone reference as a springboard of unfortunate reference they made to such a gifted artist as a "cash cow". This bothers me as much as you - I think you mistook my being a messenger for one who agrees with the message ! No harm no foul - we all love Lightfoot and his music, to be sure. Thanks for your thoughtful response full of conviction, though. As always, an intense admirer of Gord,
geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #55
geodeticman

RMD - thanks for the thoughtful read of my long post starting with Waronker. I know so little of Waronker; I only meant to relate what I had read for the groups digestion. I was not taking a position, as you correctly interpreted, about Waronker. I suggested the danger of believing written word (Rolling Stone staff writer) over what we all know - Gordon is a gifted and magnificent song-smith, not a money monger, but certainly a man whom we all respect and admire him and his music.

With regard to Waronker as you asked, uncertain of where I stand; I do not have a stand. Not enough information, or reliable at that about Waronker. It would be wrong of me to judge him based upon a third hand reference, so I chose not to, and rather moved on to a decidedly tired and non-sequiter writing on my thoughts of admiration and wishes for Lightfoot in his own quest, as I percieve it. All positive.

One need only ask of others in the room to know how I feel of Lightfoot, but you asked of Waronker I know. I don't know - but understand Gord respected him- and thats good enough for me. Thank you for your thoughtful read of my post, and I am sure you can tell I have the greatest respect for Lightfoot, and simply an alleged quote about Waronker....thats all

I do appreciate you not making a judgement on my writing before you were sure - very kind. I hope this clears it up. I must have stated something in an involute way for you and timetraveller to wonder where my admirations lie - my fault for lack of clarity; I was tired. Thanks RMD ! Sorry for poor clarity in my post.
- geo Steve
Old 11-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #56
geodeticman

Misty - thanks for the very kind response to my rather unclear mix of Waronker to start - followed by the long outpouring of my admiration of Lightfoot, at a moment after driving home from the hospital seeing Merry, and thinking of sad thoughts of eventually losing the ones we love, including even even Lightfoot someday.

Your thoughts were very kind, and I value your friendship as always. BTW - I did not know you were a mapmaker too ! We must compare notes sometime in small talk. With continued admiration, as ever,
geo Steve