banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #26
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
quote:Originally posted by RMD:
Thank you for your strength. The opinions expressed that are critical of Dylan's behavior are genuine. There is nothing false about them....it is NOT hypocrisy.
It's not my strength that you should be thankful for, but rather my insight.

Although the opinions stated in this thread about Dylan are "genuine", they are not respectful. Dylans "lack of respect" towards Lightfoot is what has caused anger and disrespect towards Dylan.
People here have accused Dylan of disrespecting Lightfoot when they have never asked Dylan what his intentions were.

It's not the opinions about whether or not Dylan's actions were disrespectful that are hypocrisy, it's the NAME CALLING that is. Those who have called Bob Dylan names, some 20 YEARS after the fact, really show where their maturity level is at (refer back to my my idol is better than your idol comment).

People are upset about Dylan because they think he turned Lightfoot's award into an opportunity to put the spotlight on himself. Okay, to each his/her own. Again, it's the LEVEL OF DISRESPECT and NAME CALLING that is above and beyond anything that I ever heard Dylan say about Lightfoot.

These are two icons of their generation who have many times over, graciously complimented the other. Dylan about how when he hears Lightfoot sings he wishes he would never stop. And of course Lightfoot's admiration towards Dylan for teaching him how to write lyrics, the list goes on and on.

The thread starter asked a valid questions and others took advantage of it and turned it into an opportunity to accuse Dylan and call him names. Just stirring the pot and making trouble where there was none to begin with. Pretty sad on many levels, but not surprising.
[/QUOTE]Fair enough. We may be dealing with semantics here.

I happen to like Dylan's music, but when I watch that Juno presentation, far worse words than buffoon, arse, and filthy drunkard cross my mind.

I've enjoyed the exchange of opinions.......keep stirring the pot.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #27
joveski

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Bro10:

A little bit of Dylan Trivia... Johnny Cash appeared on Bob Dylan's Album "Nashville Skyline" (a Fav of mine!) They sang duo on "Girl from the North Country". I don't recall if any other ttacks were with Cash.
they did a whole session together in 1969.... the following tracks:

Nashville 1969
source: Studio outtakes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tracks:
One Too Many Mornings (#1)
One Too Many Mornings (#2)
Good Ol' Mountain Dew (Lunsford/Wiseman)
I Still Miss Someone (J Cash / Roy Cash)
Careless Love (Trad)
Matchbox (Carl Perkins)
That's Alright Mama (A. Crudup)
Big River (J Cash)
Girl Of The North Country
I Walk The Line (J Cash)
You Are My Sunshine (Davis / Mitchell)
Ring Of Fire (Carter / Kilgore)
Guess Things Happen That Way (Clement)
Just A Closer Walk With Thee (Trad)
Blues Yodel #1 (T for Texas) (J Rodgers)
Blues Yodel #2 (J Rodgers)
Johnny Cash Show:
I Threw It All Away
Living The Blues
Girl Of The North Country
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #28
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Hmmm...I'm also a fan of both gentlemen. I've seen the Juno award ceremony under discussion here only once (maybe I should take a second look. Anybody got a link?) and I don't recall being appalled by BDs oratory. I don't recall being impressed either. Who knows what was going on there? Bob's not famous for his public speaking eloquence.
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #29
charlene

Gord's not known for his public speaking eloquence either but he was endearingly humble and charming and gracious while being extremely nervous.....IMHO.
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-743-...ightfoot/clip6
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #30
TheWatchman

Gord's voice wasn't shaking and it was very steady. No noticable sweat and his hands were steady too. If he was extremely nervous, he sure knows how to hide it well. I actually thought he looked rather confident. Most people who don't normally do public speaking will start out a little nervous but as they get going, really start to relax and have fun. I think this was the case with Lightfoot on this night.

Also think that Dylan was funny. I take him as just another confident celebrity who's not afraid to do his own thing. He said some kinds words about Lightfoot and even invited Gordon somewhere right before Lightfoot started to talk. Still, I see not a thing wrong with anything Dylan said or did. He actually seemed like he was in a good mood and enjoying the occasion!

My favorite parts are when Lightfoot thanks his mom for "getting me into this crazy business in the first place" and then kind of does this thing with his head, nobody laughed but him and then said "o-o-o-kay".

The second is when he talks about Cathy Coonley and his son who is younger, "quite a bit younger I might ad" and then looks up, raises his eyebrows and says "well, whatever." Never knew what happened down below but it was funny nonetheless.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #31
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I don't see where Bob was disrespectful. If anything, he seemed a bit unrehearsed, kind of making the intro up on the fly. I think, if the truth were known, as famous as both guys are, they both still get nervous when they're in front of the camera.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #32
Peter Bro10

Amen, Cathy, Amen!
All this does make me want to check out the full version of the ceremony all the more.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #33
Kilgore

I'm not a particular fan of Dylan but wasn't he one of the first to call when Gord got sick last time?
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #34
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
Greetings Watchman! I've read your current postings here, and while what you say has a bit of sting to it, I can respect what you have to say. I think, in fact, that the French philosopher Voltaire said it best when he said "While I do not like what you say, I will defend to the end your right to say it". So carry on being yourself. One never knows what one can learn from another.
Well, since your the one who made the comment about Dylan looking like a filthy drunk, you take much of the "sting" out of my posts. Thank you!

Anyway, thank you for cleaning up your posts in this thread. Much appreciated, timetraveler.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #35
TheWatchman

Quote:
And you, Watchman, are very welcome as well.
Thanks timetraveler. You've come a long way with your manners from your first post in this thread til now. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #36
Peter Bro10

Time for a group hug!!!
lol!! a little bit of levity here!

Peter Bro10
Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #37
Peter Bro10

Time for a group hug!!!
lol!! a little bit of levity here!

Peter Bro10
Old 10-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #38
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

RMD - thinking of Waronker and working with Gordon, I was in Border's bookstore the other day and looked at a Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock.

Naturally, I looked up Lightfoot. I read of many fascinating things it had to say that I've never ran across elsewhere.

One such noteable ort written of Waronker was that he was alleged to have said that particularly during the '70 - '74 time period, he had two principle "cash cows" in his money-making stable....... Gordon, and James Taylor.

This of course, being written word, and therefor intrinsically suspect unless verified as third to nth-hand information, we take with a grain of salt.

Out of context, it makes Waronker sound like a lamb-slaughtering sycophant kneeling before the graven image of imaginary "&if music = Lightfoot or JT &then &goto &routine I'mrich! &else &then &goto &routine whatnow?" gods.

Read in context, it sounds like he acted as a likely very greatful and symbiotically beneficial colleague and collaborator of Gordon's..... truthfully admitting the financially ballooning sales since IYCRMM as a mutual windfall.

This then read as projecting as geometrically growing sales from there, which peaked as I read from IYCRMM as the big bang relative beginning, expanding to the profitable universe to come of Sundown and finally TWOTEF. And glad of it, and greatful for the mutual benefit and collaboration.

This of course is of no real news to any ardent fan of Gord's, but was a unique and interesting read over in Border's "Java WI-FI Cafe" try before you buy book-reading area.

Of course, the list was much longer, but GL and JT were purported to be his first response upon inquiry of who his big money-makers were.

You know, it makes my cheeks draw back on my face to think of someone relegating Lightfoot's incredible artistry flipantly and disrespectfully to that of a cold, hard cash-money maker to Waronker.

I am not encumbered by so much naivete that I think that professional contracts with recording artists are not viewed as business, and profit and loss columns.

One need only pause and consider the name of one of two major recording artists chart positions yardsticks i.e. "cashbox" to be reminded of that. That's life in the big city.

Conversely, I'm also respectful of the struggling young singer/songwriter's plight to make a living and even eat as they build their early career stages.

Money is not a dirty word IMHO, only the sad focus it can be so often in lieu of what earns it - hard work, talent, sweat, and genuine gifted artistry in Gord's case when he was first enjoying the first glimpse of burgeoning stardom, and being able to pay his bills just like us.

But I fondly recall early accounts of his humble way of carrying one worn leather suitcase, with two pair of pants and two shirts; one for each set. This may be a romanticized tale, but it's worth believing; and in keeping with his ubiquitous examples of humility.

I've read as I believe we all have of Gord's strong appreciation of Waronker's great job he did in Gord's genuine best interest. I also do not feel Machiavellian about real world business.

Especially, there are major redeeming factors- as in the reality that Waronker did in fact by common report, and Gord's own admission, play a key role in building his career during what perhaps GL has thought of as his "prime" in retrospect; e.g. "A Painter Passing Through"'s lyrics.

In his on again and off again admirable self-deprecating way, lest he be thought of as arrogant.

Another lazy morning; Mr. Hoot and Holler; Gotta Make a Dollar - facts of a life. I only wish we were ALL blessed with similar magnificent gifts of genius such as Gord's in our own ken, or area of talent, hobby, work, or gift to others.

To embrace such a talent that must give pause even to Gord himself in quiet moments of soul-stirring introspection, where one can only hope he is able to quite literally think and dream out loud in his mesmerizing style of woven prose and melody that reminds us to stop and smell the roses, and give thanks for our unique individual talents.

If I were as good a map-maker and geodetic surveyor as Gordon is a song-smith and performer; I'd someday be known as another Leroy Talman; Galileo,Ptolemy,Euler, Fremont, Hayden, Powell, or any number of far greater talents than my own.

I'd feel blessed even more so in so many aspects of my life, based upon not that of rarified talent of the magnitude Gordon posesses ......but rather that of what I sincerely hope at this stage of his legendary career and iconic status.....

-That he can truly bask in the well-earned alpenglow of a man humbly realizing that indeed, he has more than made his mark, and earned the respect of his peers and fans crossing in excess of three generations to date, and likely permanent acknowledgement and enjoyment of his life's work for perpetuity.

I hope he really DOES know how just how good he IS, not just WAS when I hear him sing of when he was in "his prime" and there came Mr. Cool).

To me, and I know most of you, he always will be a legend, a symbol of everything wonderfully Canadian, and a permanently recognized major composer of magnificent music.

I think of Lake Louise in Banff, The Valley of Ten Peaks in B.C. (as I recall from young camping trips with my dear departed father..), and on to the manificent Jasper Athabasca Glacier trekking area, deep green forests to silent to be real....canoeing and kayaking Northern Territories sub-arctic waters for powerful 800-mile trips, whispers of the North, geese flying south as the leaves turn to gold when the weather turns to cold.

.... and a great man I admire enjoying the view more and more from the warmth of a place he can call home... and see from his backyard. And a man who has helped me to remember my Dad as indeed with the scrimshaw that he had....

But for now, that Restless yearning that still calls him to CareFree Highways (OK a Learjet now LOL..), and his perpetual quest (for which there is an answer) to give and give and give, and dig for one more guitar pick out of his pocket while sheepishly grinning at an adoring audience....

The Living Legend continues as a testament to strength, character, humility, life's lessons already learned, and his God-given gift to bring us peace and warmth in our heart in what all too often seems a cold world.... until we reminded once again, by the Man.

Long live Gordon Lightfoot and his Legacy, may the boat Silverheel fall into the right British Lady's hands, and may we all glide glide glide all day listening in our minds to whispers of the North, all things beautiful, and sunlight hitting handles on heirloom cups, so that the next generation can continue his Legacy.

And someday, when he finds the answer to his quest, and no longer needs to shout across the shore, with a rusty sword in hand, and finally feels no pain by the grace of his love for us all and his dear family...then someday, not too soon, he will pass on, with his boots on, axe in hand, and finds his home made of stone, and the homefires keep on burning and yearning for him; one of two men I will admire for all my days on this earth the most - my father, and Gordon Lightfoot.

God Bless him and all he has given us. May he continue playing right on into the sky when his time someday comes, and finally come to rest, with his Eagle in her nest, in the trees, in the arboreal splendor he will always paint for us in word and melody, by the Long River that flows right by our own window, thanks to Gordon.

Well, that may have only tied in on Lenny Waronker to start, but that is what came out this morning, after listening to Gord on the CD on the very careful Highway home from visiting my wife, soon to be out of the hospital per se, at least...and once again I was comforted by Gord's music on the drive home while she gets better.

Hey friends I am sorry for this long, long post, but I hope you could feel some of what I felt this morning listening to Gord at sunrise.

May all of you enjoy peace and companionship in corfid today... and Gord's music as a backdrop for real life as it goes on for you today. Have a good day all friends. I am tired, and this all just poured out like the whiskey of the Highlands..... thanks for bearing with the long read if you did. Peace to you all, later....

geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #39
RM

geo steve,

To be honest, I was unable to tell where your opinion of Waronker landed. A Steve Kururtz expressed this thought in All Music Guide :

"And with his creative leanings and production credits Waronker became known as an ally for artists at a time when the industry was being bombarded by "corporate suits" who knew little and cared less about rock music. Yet, Waronker's dedication to the artists and his reputation for discussing music over business led Warner Brothers and its subsidiaries such as Reprise to be viewed as a positive family atmosphere where music, not money, was still number one."
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #40
TheWatchman

Quote:
Hey Watchman. I can't say that I'll always be all that great in that area, but don't be afraid to call me on something if you feel that it's what needs to be done. For what it's worth, don't any of you out there ever feel that I'm going to get ugly if you do call me on something. Hopefully, I'm mature enough to be able to take a little criticism, especially if it's well intended. Besides, I enjoy this crowd, meaning all of you out there, a lot.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #41
Peter Bro10

Geo Steve... Wow!
your post was long, yes, but said much more... I have to digest it all for a bit. you hit the nail on the head on many things.
perhaps most importantly, it sounds as though you and your wife are going through some tough times... I'll pray for you both.
It's funny, that while I don't know you, I KNOW you.... and I know you know what I mean. As I heard it said before "what comes from the heart reaches the heart".
I am amazed, as I jouney through all things Lightfoot, at two things.
Firstly, that his "new" stuff is much better than is given credit for.
and Secondly, his "fans"... you guys. You reflect him... (I'm a bit choked up here...)
Well, I could go on and on... but time is out.
My best to you all,

Peter Bro10
Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #42
brink-

Geo Steve,
I am happy to hear that Merry is getting better. Be careful on that Carefree Highway that you are driving to visit each day. My thoughts are with both of you. I hope the turn to good health for you both is close at hand. I think at one time or another, for all of us, Gord's music has helped us through a tight spot in our lives. I hope that he realizes that.
Take care friend.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #43
SilverHeels

<<Long live Gordon Lightfoot and his Legacy, may the boat Silverheel fall into the right British Lady's hands, and may we all glide glide glide all day listening in our minds to whispers of the North, all things beautiful, and sunlight hitting handles on heirloom cups, so that the next generation can continue his Legacy.>>

Bless you, Steve. It was ME, you were thinking of, yes? :D

(Sorry to hear Merry is still in hospital but keep the faith. You are in my thoughts and that candle is still burning for Merry - be sure and tell her.)
Old 10-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #44
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

The topic isn’t necessarily about the virtues of Dylan or lack thereof, so I’ll stick to the post. I do agree with joveski; I’ve never heard of a feud or major row between the two. Many years ago, early 70’s, prior to ’75, I did meet Dylan once, through Lightfoot, and I don’t recall any tension between the two nor did I notice that either man was uncomfortable.

I also find the Jaybour67 comment interesting, and do slightly disagree with his conclusion. Although Dylan had a tremendous impact on the music scene, I wouldn’t go as far as saying he “changed” it (let’s be mindful of Dylan’s chief influences, who one can say were also part of any change); there was so much going on at the time, so many talented and creative musicians adding so many layers of colours and textures to that scene that collectively they all contributed to the change, and therefore, the music scene. I think we would have seen Lightfoot emerge as the Lightfoot of today even in the absence of Dylan. Albeit, we may have had a few less songs, those influenced by Dylan, but the artist we’ve come to know would still have emerged.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #45
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Yes Bru - of course I was thinking of you..

You deserve it - thanks for the candle....

geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #46
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty in her topic "Flowers at concerts ":
It seems at many concerts fans throw flowers on the stage and/or present the performer with a bouquet of flowers. Has anyone seen this happen with Gord?

I'd love to give him a bouquet of roses in Montreal when he comes out to do his curtain call, but don't know how I would get them in there, get to the stage at the right time, etc.

Any thoughts on this one?
OK Betty your time is up. Just where is that report, or are you still in a state of shock??

Gord with some flowers (Betty's bouquet??)
caption/credit:-
"For more than 40 years, Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot, who performs in Ottawa tomorrow and Saturday, have shared a mutual admiration for one another. Lightfoot, who remained loyal to his folk roots, is enjoying being back on the road.
Photograph by : Aaron Harris, The Canadian Press "
from, an article
"Lightfoot, Dylan hardly rivals on folk circuit"

in the Qttawa citizen at:-
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/ott...8c1824&k=85129
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #47
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

I have an old B&W of Gord & Bob informally jammin' offstage in my My Pictures folder. Being a techno dunce however I'm not sure how to post it here. One apparently can't do a simple attachment. One has to submit a URL. Can any of the more tech savvy among you help?
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #48
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Farnham:
One has to submit a URL. Can any of the more tech savvy among you help?
Delighted Paul to oblige.
If the picture is on your computer then, unless you took it yourself, you must have saved it after finding it on the internet somewhere so your first step could be to use google image search to try to refind it and then find its URL
If not then this is the text I used to answer a similar question in another topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...191;p=1#000018
Basic crash course
1 NOTE WELL to display any picture on these forums it must be already on a web site as corfid itself does not store pictures,
so use a free picture hosting service that
1A allows "hotlinking "
1B preferably hosts pictures indefinitely
I thoroughly recommend imageshack as shown below
2. select the pix you wish to display
2A if you took them with a digital camera great
2B if on film then after printing get out your scanner, If you do not have either a scanner or a digital camera you are SOL
3. put them all together in a single folder
If the image files are small enough then they might all fit on a floppy disc (if you have such a drive)
this is to make step 3 below easier especialy if you wish to upload then display many pix
However if they are large as they will be if you were using a megapixel digital camera create a folder on your desktop
4 go to
http://www.imageshack.us
browse your computer to locate the folder or floppy drive
5 upload noting that there is a handy "resize image" option for large files, if necessary use the 640x480 (for message boards) option
6 upload
7 wait till uploading is complete
you should get a page listing a selection of codes with a thumbnail of the picture just uploaded in the page's centre
8 highlight and copy the bottom code
(which is actually the URL or address of the picture on image shack's server)
9 start a new corfid topic or reply
10 type your intoductory words
11 put your mouse cursor where you want the picture to apppear
12 look at the bottom of the page under the reply text box and see the section headed
"Instant UBB code" (UBB code-Ultimate Bulletin Board code) this is a special simplified version of the more common coding tags used by all web pages
13 select the last option in the right hand column "image"
14 click on it a pop-up box will er um pop up
15 delete the http:// that appears and paste in the image shack URL that is now on your clipboard (Tip use control and V)
16 press OK
automatically the URL surrounded by the UBB tags [img] and [/img] will appear in your reply text box where the cursor was
17 add a caption of your choice under that to tell readers what you are displaying and/or why
18 now check that it displays correctly by using the "preview" button
19 close this (preview) window and edit/correct typos etc if necessary
20 press "add reply or "add topic" as applicable
21 wait for all the glowing praise for your efforts!!
22 try to pat your own back and/or
23 grin hugely
John
24 I hope that helps a bit,I have today the 10th reread it and I think I covered just about everything I look forwards to seeing another pupil succeeding
Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #49
charlene

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #50
johnfowles

There goes a previous highly esteemed graduate of my college for picture posting
but if you look at the properties for her picture you will see that she went the whole way and used imageshack
Amazingly had she followed my initial instruction and carried out a simple
google image search at:-
http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=
for "lightfoot dylan"
the very first four the top row even looks just like this

giving a choice of not one not two but three valid URLs for that picture