banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
loveyagord2

Default Oneonta, NY Set List March 31, 2011

Here's the set list for the concert, ordered much the same as Torrington, CT's concert on the 29th. I think I have every song correct, but maybe someone else can fill in or make a correction. I don't know if they were "Net People," but I saw someone else with paper and a pen and quite a few people taking photos and even one filming. Who knows what may pop up on the Web in a couple of days??

Set I (wore the red jacket & black pants)

Did She Mention My Name
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14K Gold
Never Too Close
Painter Passing Through
Let It Ride
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

[Intermission]

Set II (wore the blue vest)

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
Restless
Home from the Forest (surprised at this one/never heard this in concert)
Waiting for You
Make Way for the Lady
Fine as Fine Can Be
Don Quixote
If You Could Read My Mind
Baby Step Back
Canadian Railroad Trilogy (said they would attempt this one)

[Encore]
Old Dan's Records

Gordon was the first event at this newly-opened performing arts center -- sold-out @750 tickets. His voice was much stronger in the first set than I expected. Of course, in the second set, it was even stronger. There was limited exchange with the audience and none of the expected jokes people here have written about, mainly an "Aw'right!" or short intro to some songs: "wrote this one for my second ex," "going to change the tempo," "time for blues." There were a couple of smiles from Gord, and he complimented the audience, but I was hoping for a little more chatter and a joke or two that we've all come to expect. To me, the rapport just didn't seem as friendly and relaxed as at other concerts.

Let's see... What else? He introduced the band twice, and introduced Carter as the new guitarist. Carter seemed to fit right in on stage and appeared to be having a good time, nodding his head to the music and looking over at the others. (No mention of Terry) Rick received a spike in applause when he was introduced. There was hearty applause for "IYCRMM" & "Sundown," of course. Gord did smile and shake a scolding finger at a woman who inserted "over me" at the pause in "Ribbon of Darkness." After leaving the stage after CRT, there was a standing O, and when he came out for the encore, he raised an index finger to let the audience know that there would be only one encore song. The house lights came up quickly after "Old Dan's Records."

It was a memorable concert, and the venue itself was incredible. All seats had magnificent views of the stage, and Gord seemed to be up close, front and center no matter where one sat. I have to say that for the first time at an indoor Lightfoot concert, I was not deafened by the music, nor did the instruments over power Gord's voice. Although not needed with The Man on stage, the lighting effects set the tone for the songs, with swirling light patterns on triangular swatches of floor-to-ceiling backdrop curtains, setting the atmosphere of songs (blue and white clouds/water for "Wreck," green & brown foliage for "Home from the Forest," etc.).

I'm glad I was able to get there. I hope he tours for many more years, but with everyone getting older and having done this for so many years, I don't know how long it will continue.
loveyagord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Oneonta, NY Set List March 31, 2011

Thanks for the report..Sound slike a great show considering it was the last in along couple of weeks. 14 shows in 17 nights in 9 states...that's quite a pace!

I love that he's still doing Home From The Forest..He brought that back in to the rotation last year at this time.

54 nights till Massey!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Tjtax55

Thanks for keeping the rest of us in the loop with the Oneonta setlist and show review. Glad you made the show and kept track of all the songs. It's a hard thing to do.

In regards to your thoughts about Gord's age, it does makes you realize that at some point, he will eventually stop touring . That will be truely a sad day for all of us.
I don't even want to think about it.
Let's hope is several years away!

Funny, I started following Lightfoot in my late teens and in a few more years I'll have completed 60 trips around the sun. I don't feel that old and I didn't waste any of it, but it still went be too fast. One thing I'm certain of, I've got a lot more time behind me than I do ahead of me.

Every day above ground I am grateful. And my days are always better with Lightfoot music in them. I love all his song. I'm listening to Salute right now.
Gord may have left it out of his shows, but I don't.

Tim
Tjtax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
brink-

Fabulous review by a first time poster! Yay! Thanks it has all the answers to all the questions we would ask
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Joe M

Saw Lightfoot March 29 at the Merrill in Portland.

Awesome concert, I did not take notes but the set list was quite different than the one listed above Oneanta.

Came on at 8:00, opening song was Sweet Guenevere, then 14 Karat Gold.....He played a lot of classics..Shadows, Spanish Moss, Alberta Bound, Never Too Close etc....The first half he was sort of businesslike, not a lot of exchange with the crowd. He took a break at 9:00

After 10 minutes he came back, and was like a different guy. He began joking with the crowd, telling jokes and was just great. I almost feel guilty saying it because I know we all loved Terry Clements and what he contributed to GL's music with his great licks, but Carter Lancaster was just great, a very gifted guitarist who seemed to fit right in.

He played until 10:15 ending the show with an incredible version of SFAWN, came back for an encore with Blackberry Wine, and that was it. AWESOME SHOW!! Sure he's not a young man anymore and the voice is not what it used to be, but he makes up for it with feeling and know how. The man is the Master of his craft.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Saw Lightfoot March 29 at the Merrill in Portland.

I almost feel guilty saying it because I know we all loved Terry Clements and what he contributed to GL's music with his great licks, but Carter Lancaster was just great, a very gifted guitarist who seemed to fit right in.
That's exactly how I feel Joe. I think Carter is a great addition, but feel disloyal everytime I think it.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Joe M

I know what you mean Jenny, I was amazed at how well he fit in. When I told my sister he had only been with GL for a month she was astonished, he was that good.