banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 AM   #26
Baz

Send a message via ICQ to Baz

Hi to all! I have returned after a hiatus of family counseling and I think you'll find me in much grander a mood. Those that read Small Talk before I erased my thread and it's messages know of what I speak. Wow,good old Canadian Railroad Trilogy! Y'know,I live in North Dakota and we sometimes pick up Canadian TV here. I've lived here just about all me life and I recall Gordon's appearance on that day of January 1st! I thought it was the most amazing song I'd ever heard,seeing as how most songs back then would not be longer than three or 4 minutes. The way he chugged full speed through that song just mesmerized me. As well as his rugged good looks. I remembered how to do the smileys!
In fact I now recall that this was the very reason I first bought one of his long playing records. I still have mine,despite years of trying to keep me family's grubby hands off of them! Look,I'm a winking at you! I have got to return to bed now,if Im gone too long me husband wakes up missing me,bless his heart. From North Dakota good-night ay?
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 AM   #27
whirligirl

Hi to all! I have returned after a hiatus of family counseling and I think you'll find me in much grander a mood. Those that read Small Talk before I erased my thread and it's messages know of what I speak. Wow,good old Canadian Railroad Trilogy! Y'know,I live in North Dakota and we sometimes pick up Canadian TV here. I've lived here just about all me life and I recall Gordon's appearance on that day of January 1st! I thought it was the most amazing song I'd ever heard,seeing as how most songs back then would not be longer than three or 4 minutes. The way he chugged full speed through that song just mesmerized me. As well as his rugged good looks. I remembered how to do the smileys!
In fact I now recall that this was the very reason I first bought one of his long playing records. I still have mine,despite years of trying to keep me family's grubby hands off of them! Look,I'm a winking at you! I have got to return to bed now,if Im gone too long me husband wakes up missing me,bless his heart. From North Dakota good-night ay?
whirligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:48 AM   #28
Auburn Annie

Welcome back, whirligirl! My husband and daughter spent last night in Grand Forks, on their way home from visiting family in Winnipeg! Small world.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:48 AM   #29
Auburn Annie

Welcome back, whirligirl! My husband and daughter spent last night in Grand Forks, on their way home from visiting family in Winnipeg! Small world.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:43 AM   #30
Baz

Hi Miss Annie and thank you. You weren't too far from me neck of the woods,i hope you got to see some sights. I live in a little town called Cavalier. Look at a map of the state that lists all cities on it and you'll find it near the NE corner of the state. I'm just several miles S by SE of Manitoba. Hope you and yours liked the weather! It's great here this time of year. Yes,truly it is a small world but yet we have so much room. Right now,I'm just up late again catching up on me reading and then leaving this message. I really shouldn't be awake and I should start posting at a more reasonable time of day. Until then from Cavalier,North Dakota,good night ay.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:43 AM   #31
whirligirl

Hi Miss Annie and thank you. You weren't too far from me neck of the woods,i hope you got to see some sights. I live in a little town called Cavalier. Look at a map of the state that lists all cities on it and you'll find it near the NE corner of the state. I'm just several miles S by SE of Manitoba. Hope you and yours liked the weather! It's great here this time of year. Yes,truly it is a small world but yet we have so much room. Right now,I'm just up late again catching up on me reading and then leaving this message. I really shouldn't be awake and I should start posting at a more reasonable time of day. Until then from Cavalier,North Dakota,good night ay.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #32
miketouhy

thought i'd say i've posted the CBC clip of Lightfoot performing the song in a few different message boards, including a couple of railroad dissussion forums.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #33
miketouhy

thought i'd say i've posted the CBC clip of Lightfoot performing the song in a few different message boards, including a couple of railroad dissussion forums.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 PM   #34
stationmaster

I'm not sure what a trilogy is supposed to be exactly, but CRT is a very descriptive song. There are a couple hundred other descriptive GL songs of course but I love this one.

------------------
"The station is for travelers even you must ride someday"
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:48 AM   #35
Baz

Hello there Mr. Stationmaster,this,quite naturally,is whirligirl up past me bedtime once again. First time I have used that one. Well sir,a Trilogy is a story told in three parts or in this particular case,a song. The Tri in trilogy means 3,the ogy means to read or study or with the song,to listen. CRT starts out kind of sunny and on an upbeat note,that's part 1. Part 2 is when the song goes chugging along at full speed like the trains that he does sing about. Then part 3 is the slow and sad dramatic section which returns later to the mood at the start. A much simpler description of a trilogy is the three original Star Wars films from 1977,1980 and 1983. Hope that helped you very much and now,since I cannot add another song to Gord's Gold three I'm heading back to bed before I am missed. From North Dakota,night ay?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:48 AM   #36
whirligirl

Hello there Mr. Stationmaster,this,quite naturally,is whirligirl up past me bedtime once again. First time I have used that one. Well sir,a Trilogy is a story told in three parts or in this particular case,a song. The Tri in trilogy means 3,the ogy means to read or study or with the song,to listen. CRT starts out kind of sunny and on an upbeat note,that's part 1. Part 2 is when the song goes chugging along at full speed like the trains that he does sing about. Then part 3 is the slow and sad dramatic section which returns later to the mood at the start. A much simpler description of a trilogy is the three original Star Wars films from 1977,1980 and 1983. Hope that helped you very much and now,since I cannot add another song to Gord's Gold three I'm heading back to bed before I am missed. From North Dakota,night ay?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 AM   #37
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

If I'm not mistaken, "The Patroit's Dream" from
"Don Quixote" is a trilogy also.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 AM   #38
Rob1956

If I'm not mistaken, "The Patroit's Dream" from
"Don Quixote" is a trilogy also.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:25 AM   #39
GretschViking

I don't know if it has been covered, but can someone help me out and explain what a "Navvie" is? I am not familiar with that term.
Thanks
GretschViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:25 AM   #40
Travis McGee

I don't know if it has been covered, but can someone help me out and explain what a "Navvie" is? I am not familiar with that term.
Thanks
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 AM   #41
Auburn Annie

Annette posted the follwoing on the Small Talk board:

The railway was built in the following stages: first, the surveyors, then the grading gangs that cut the trees down in the path marked by the surveyors, followed by the measuring gangs. After came the levelling gangs, followed by the topographers who recorded the type of terrain the line would be going through. Next it was the NAVVIES turn. The navvies were the construction workers that built a solid roadbed on which the trains would travel. They used picks to create drainage ditches and shovels to pack down two layers of crushed stone, called sub-ballast and ballast, that were hauled to the location by teams of horses and wagons. When they were finished, horses dragged a giant scraper across the surface of the ballast to make it flat for the laying of the rails.
So next time you walk across a railway track and hear the crushed rock under your feet you can think of the navvies in the CRT!!
Info taken from "Discovering Canada - The Railways" by Livesey and Smith

For more on navvies, see http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/navvies.htm

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited July 29, 2004).]
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 AM   #42
Auburn Annie

Annette posted the follwoing on the Small Talk board:

The railway was built in the following stages: first, the surveyors, then the grading gangs that cut the trees down in the path marked by the surveyors, followed by the measuring gangs. After came the levelling gangs, followed by the topographers who recorded the type of terrain the line would be going through. Next it was the NAVVIES turn. The navvies were the construction workers that built a solid roadbed on which the trains would travel. They used picks to create drainage ditches and shovels to pack down two layers of crushed stone, called sub-ballast and ballast, that were hauled to the location by teams of horses and wagons. When they were finished, horses dragged a giant scraper across the surface of the ballast to make it flat for the laying of the rails.
So next time you walk across a railway track and hear the crushed rock under your feet you can think of the navvies in the CRT!!
Info taken from "Discovering Canada - The Railways" by Livesey and Smith

For more on navvies, see http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/navvies.htm

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited July 29, 2004).]
Old 08-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #43
miketouhy

you know i was just thinking. a the time of his TV performance of the song,and since the album that CRT was from had not been released yet, i wonder when people did buy the album the song was off of, did they expect to hear the sound of the rr men singing with Gord and the sound of them working on the rr as on the TV special. i doubt all of that was on the original recording and it may sound silly that people would think that but you never know sometimes.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #44
miketouhy

you know i was just thinking. a the time of his TV performance of the song,and since the album that CRT was from had not been released yet, i wonder when people did buy the album the song was off of, did they expect to hear the sound of the rr men singing with Gord and the sound of them working on the rr as on the TV special. i doubt all of that was on the original recording and it may sound silly that people would think that but you never know sometimes.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #45
Wesley

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Nasium:
Try this link. There is some good footage of Gordon. On the CRRT film, it shows some of Gordon before drifting into 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' mode, but good for all that.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-743-...ightfoot/clip3
Click on the the footage now you can no longer see the whole performance it's cut off to 32 minutes and it's been that way for sometime now. I wrote to them about it and they never replied to my email.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #46
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Nasium:
Try this link. There is some good footage of Gordon. On the CRRT film, it shows some of Gordon before drifting into 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' mode, but good for all that.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-743-...ightfoot/clip3
Click on the the footage now you can no longer see the whole performance it's cut off to 32 minutes and it's been that way for sometime now. I wrote to them about it and they never replied to my email.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #47
Wesley

I was going to post this on the Small Talk section but thought perhaps here would be more appropriette. http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11919
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #48
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I was going to post this on the Small Talk section but thought perhaps here would be more appropriette. http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11919
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote