banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
horizonfound

Default New Video Is Here!: Gordon Lightfoot: Ode to Big Blue Finale Recreated

This was technically difficult to pull off from a multi-media standpoint. I used the actual 1972 recording as my "click-track"...the tutorial for this will have to come later ..and THAT will be MUCH easier to do, believe me! The guitarists, especially, should have fun watching this in performance. That's Gordon's part at the top of the screen and Red's High String in the middle. I'm not sure who is playing the great parallel thirds descending bit at the bottom of the screen...a very nice guitar part to close out this tune, don't you think? Let me know if you like this sort of thing. It was fun to put together...
horizonfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
paskatefan

Default Re: New Video Is Here!: Gordon Lightfoot: Ode to Big Blue Finale Recreated

I'm no guitarist, but that was really cool!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
horizonfound

Default Re: New Video Is Here!: Gordon Lightfoot: Ode to Big Blue Finale Recreated

Ahhhh, Thank You Gail! This ending is a clever example of carefully crafted chaos by Lightfoot and Co.. Gordon is playing a regular FAST Travis picking "bass part" striking down on the A and D strings maintaining a steady rhythm. Red plays in rhythm but not a steady one in the Bass and starts his part on the D string (instead of the root note of A as Gordon does as mentioned above). The third guitar, at the bottom of the screen, plays its own rhythm altogether...and somehow, all the parts jangle on to reach their final destination in a "wow" finish. It was fascinating to work that ending out on the guitars.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
lighthead2toe

This is brilliant!
I'm going to have a "whale of a time" swimming around this one. I know I'll never be able to accomplish what the amazing video shows but it sure will keep my mind focused on what I love getting lost in.
Having just returned from my home province of Newfoundland, an island well known for it's history of whales, whale watching excursions etc., I'm really pitched on this most treasured video.
Can't thank you enough and also looking very forward to the tutorial which I know will provide me with many hours of joyful comfort with just the guitar and me.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
horizonfound

Thank you for the kind comments...I REALLY appreciate it! It encourages me to want to produce more of these for the group. My wife is the "Production Chief" on these videos. I'm just the hired help! She's a bit steamed that I posted the video as a direct link to be viewed here rather than present a link to send the folks TO YouTube...As she rightly observed, we're getting the views; but, without having the traffic being on the YouTube site itself, she's not getting her "thumbs up" or any comments for her video on that site (though we received a few lovely comments for the first video on YouTube and some very nice comments here as well! THANK YOU!). So, in the future, when introducing a video, I'll post a link to the YouTube video (to pacify my BOSS!). If you have time, and can leave her a thumbs up and a comment for THIS new video on the YouTube site, I'd really appreciate it (since it contributes to the maintenance of "marital bliss"...if ya know what I'm sayin'....).
As for the lesson for this video. I'm thinking that I'll re-use the three parts we recorded for THIS video (though less cropped, of course). And then, for each of those separate parts, a slowed down new performance of each one w/ on-screen tab. I'm not sure if I'll do any commentary. I sort-a like the YouTube guitar tutorial videos that are more image-based and less verbal. Direct and to the point....One thing I can say for the two videos we've posted thus far, they certainly will never be criticized for being too long! Right? Thanks again Everybody! Are we having fun?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
horizonfound

I finished recording the slowed down tutorial parts for this video...now, I'm going to record an instrumental opening ....
Old 08-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
lighthead2toe

We most definitely are having fun!

Enter number two..
Old 08-17-2019, 02:51 AM   #8
T.G.

Kewl stuff! It's funny, there are people who call him "Three-Chord Gord" but they haven't a clue what they're talking about, as this video proves.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
horizonfound

Sorry for the delay...suffered a minor mishap...ring finger of the left hand was banged up (nail is a bit purple around the cuticle...Ok, now! Not to worry!). Anyway, today, instead of the "Ode To Big Blue" finale, I went ahead and recreated the opening to "Don Quixote" (both Red's and Gordon's parts note for note...all "apologies" to Jerry's Guitar Bar from YouTube!). We're gong to try to line up the split-screen today and maybe try and finish it....There's more to this one however. I also re-recorded Red's intro to "Ode To Big Blue". In addition, for all of the above. I recorded slowed down videos. So, I'm "dumbing down" my detailed tablature to the bare essentials and hope to have that information, on screen, below the slowed down performances. If this proves unsatisfactory, I may re-do it...so, I don't have an exact "launch" time for this...I hope it's soon. In essence, This is the tutorial "deluxe" (because of the inclusion of Gord's part) for my first video. The "Big Blue" Finale will be the follow-up to this one, okay? Thank you for all of the kind comments here, and on YouTube (I really appreciate it...and my wife, well, she appreciates it even more than I do!).
Old 09-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
lighthead2toe

It's well appreciated here that's for sure. The combined two threads on this subject now have garnered more than one thousand views since early July.
Clearly there are many guitar enthusiasts drawn to this so you sure have opened a new door to a very big room. Once again a big thank you!
Old 09-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
horizonfound

Thank you very much for your very kind words. The video will launch today. We're nearing the end of the editing process (we've learned a great deal about the software over the course of putting this particular one together). I'm guessing the video will be roughly in the area of four minutes in duration when it's completed. I hope you have fun with it!