banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
RM

Default Re: You Know You're a (your state) resident if...

jj,

Thanks for the link. Okay, so the "ex" is a gigantic, yearly fair at a location that once served as the site for the 1967 World's Fair. Is that where the Montreal Expos (now Washington Nationals) team name came from ? Am I even close ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
so, what is the ex?....the answer at http://theex.com/ of course, lol
I shouldn't have teased, it's the ancient Canadian National "Ex"hibition

a few old buildings remain as well as the Prince's Gates live on...the CFL Argonauts used to play at the good ol' CNE stadium then the Blue Jays joined in 1977 after it received an ugly facelift and was renamed to Exhibition Stadium...now the Leafs farm team plays in a revamped old building on the grounds as well the mighty (lol) Toronto FC

anyhow, CNE Stadium is long gone...some of our finest childhood and teen memories took place in and around that venue

...they basically paved paradise and put up a parking lot (and a concrete/aluminum soccer field)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #28
RM

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #29
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
jj,

Thanks for the link. Okay, so the "ex" is a gigantic, yearly fair at a location that once served as the site for the 1967 World's Fair. Is that where the Montreal Expos (now Washington Nationals) team name came from ? Am I even close ?
wow, now I'm confused...this is like a who's on first exchange, ha....world fair? hmmm, "Ex"po '67 was in Montreal in 1967, duh...so that's a different ex, lol

actually our ex is like and ex-lover...most now avoid it at all costs, lol

the Montreal Expos played at Jerry Park then at Olympic Stadium following the 1976 Olympics....it's odd, but i followed baseball and the NL much more closely back during Expos telecast days, before the Jays arrived

anyhow, I used to work at the EX (18 day marathons) and clearly recall it being SO popular that I could not move at all when venturing down the midway...years earlier, the family would visit and our folks would let sis and I (probably a mere 5 and 7 years of age) wander throughout on our own and we'd all meet at 10pm at a chosen fountain or tower... we used to take shortcuts through dark alleys, etc...it was either safer back then or our rural-bred family was just naive and fortunate city creeps didn't bonk us on the head and steal our $allowance

char, there was a chincey but moving Memory Lane exhibit there last year
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #30
podunklander

ah perhaps this is why the Big E (which is just around the corner) is not referred to as the "EX"...so as to not confuse it with another popular expo. haha
Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
jj

ahh, could be, pam...i should point out that Montreal has the Big O (standing for Olympic, but more accurately representing the BIG OWE that taxpayers were left with for decades following the '76 Olympics

btw, for old building lovers, i found some misc CNE pics
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DG

sorry to take us offtrack....that Toronto list char posted was quite accurate
Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #32
charlene

jj posted a link to the wonderful old lady we call the EX here in Toronto..
(nothing like the "Ex" I have in my personal life..lol)

yep - so many great memories..the FOOD building! yummy..the concerts at the stadium, the ball games..the rodeos, the midway and the carny games, the weirdos, the magic of riding the aerial tram across the grounds at night..wow..The old wooden roller coaster and the "do ya wanna go faster" on the rides.. (Howie Mandel used to work there but not for long tho-lol)
The Hockey Hall of Fame was on the grounds back then - open all year but we always went during the EX..
I never worked there but went every year..coming home from North Ontario in time for a visit before school started when we were younger and when we were old enough to go on our own we'd go several times..The Bandshell, the clock tower where you'd arrange to meet people..the beautiful gardens, the Horse Palace..the views of the lake from the double ferris wheel..the ice cream waffle sandwiches and candied peanuts, perogies and candy floss and then a ride on the Zipper! PUKE!!!!!!
lol
and the air show with the Snowbirds and many other planes from around the world..
the subliminal message that summer was over and school was beginning soon..
taking my own kids when they were little and seeing it fresh and innocently again thru their eyes....

http://www.theex.com/site.php
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #33
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Man Char what excellent imagery, I feel like I was there. Reminds me of why I have a love/hate relationship with our Labor Day Weekend down here. Lots of fun things to do but it meant that Summer was over and school started on Tuesday.

Even now when school starts in August (ughh) and I don't get all Summer off (like my wife does) I still get creeped out by this weekend. Don't suggest therapy, it's way too late for that. And in a fit of karmic retribution I have been tasked with a 12 hour shift on Monday/Labor Day so I don't have to worry about it, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #34
geodeticman.5

Sorry guys I am on a graveyard circadian rythm from wayback SLEEP DURING the day - its murder to break after 15 years....- I am just now catching up with the EXplanations....lol...Char yes that was vivid imagery - do you guys call candy floss what we call cotton candy ? = spun sugar fluff ? - sticks to your hands with the nuclear bond of super-glue ? lol. So, the EX.... is a... never mind, its a TRanna THING... LOL...sOK - I have my arcane Coloraddy things.... secret passwords, handshakes, terms...etc.

Thanks for the updates guys. WHO CARES IF WE GO OFF THREAD AS LONG AS ITS FUN ?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #35
geodeticman.5

I just had a blockobuster movie moment - - the "perogies" you mentioned CHAR, were the food of choice the aliens were ordering in "Men IN Black" - after the little jewelry shopkeeper alien and his little alien knowledgable pug dog went to meet the lurch-like alien at the greasy-spoon restaurant. The ..uhm...BUG... crammed in to the body of the waiter from the bug-killer truck, served them "perogies" -yumn- and bugs came out of his (the BIG bug)'s sleeve, the cat with the galaxy on his neck "ORION" escaped, and both the jewelry-store owner and the lurch-guy were near-killed. The lurch-guy turned out to have the tini-little near-dead intersteller peacemaker guy in his robotic body that explained in his dieing breath - that ORION had the galaxy on his collar... and the bad aliens in orbit - must have it..or they'll destroy the world, then he mini-croaks. I hate it when that happens - we've had to deal with things like this in the gov't agencies I've worked in for years...lol j/k .its sad...anyway - the aliens ALL loved PEROGIES ! lol hehe ...uhm.... I thought it was a funny relational link....haha -sigh- Perogies.... Steve walks away....downtrodden. not a part of the 'TRANNA clique with insiders cryptic and arcane cool talk, even reminiscing...-sigh- thats OK, I'll be 'allright guys... LOL

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-29-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #36
geodeticman.5

so...all joking aside the "EX" is the CNE stadium - Canadian National EX'hibition eh ? - cool. I got it. I knew it all along yessirree bob, reminds me of when..... lol OK thanks guys..
Old 08-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #37
charlene

the stadium was but one part of the Exhibition.. it was torn down years ago and re-built as a new soccer pitch for Toronto FC..

The Toronto Blue Jays began playing at Exhibition Stadium in April '77 - in the snow..

the Toronto Argonaut football team of the CFL (Canadian Football League) played there too..

The Toronto Indy runs thru the grounds every July (Indy now owned by Mario Andretti jr.) and along Lakeshore Blvd.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #38
geodeticman.5

Thanls, Char... am I an offical TRANNA insider yet ? -sigh- I don't think so....lol
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #39
charlene

speaking of the "EX" :
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...xhibition.aspx
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #40
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
the stadium was but one part of the Exhibition.. it was torn down years ago and re-built as a new soccer pitch for Toronto FC..

The Toronto Blue Jays began playing at Exhibition Stadium in April '77 - in the snow..

the Toronto Argonaut football team of the CFL (Canadian Football League) played there too..
yeah, the 'grandstand' goes way back to the fair's 19th century beginnings (including a few rebuilds, man, so many destructive fires to those nice early structures)...I remember going there for the concerts, hell drivers, demolition derbys, muddy and snowy football, etc before they made it into the concrete nightmare by the lake, Exhibition Stadium, lol (which was our initial effort to attract the San Francisco team here)

still have my Jay opening day ticket stub from 1977...the guy I went there with as a teen is now a Jay VP ..I'm waiting til they make playoffs again before I contact him for tix...I hope he's still employed by then, lol

nearby was Maple Leaf Stadium which is where our minor league ball team played (sparky anderson, mgr)...formerly the park was on the island, Hanlan's Point, and was where the Babe hit his only minor league homer (into the lake)...useless trivia, lol

http://pages.interlog.com/~urbanism/grandstand.html

above, there is a pic of the Flyer (the wooden coaster) and the Bulova clock tower (I still call it the Shell tower / meeting place)...'wanna go faster' was that Polar Express...I went on the Zipper, probably drunk, but would never go on that double ferris wheel again, I'm still scarred!

I loved the new inventions and improved products showcased in the various buildings...I mostly hung out in the Arts, Crafts and Hobbies Bldg....yes, we have candy floss...my teeth hurt when i think of that stuff or candy apples or sponge toffee...i ate in the food building for cheap...usually spaghetti for 25 cents and a large coke for a penny...the Tiny Tom's donuts were a bit more expensive and didn't last long, lol

even when i use the Ex (during the 50 weeks when the fair's not on) as a commuting shortcut, I get nostalgic as i drive over the land where war ensued..ie. where we were invaded, lol...believe there were no weapons of mass or even minor destruction here, and this is still the case, lol

interesting stuff below...who would think years later citizens from both countries and all over the world would be chatting, harmoniously
(for the most part) on the 'net', lol

"The War of 1812. One of the bloodiest episodes of the war was the Battle of York, which started just west of present-day Exhibition Place and advanced eastward through what is now the CNE midway to Fort York. The American advance on York (Toronto), the capital of the British colony of Upper Canada, started at 8 am on April 27, 1813. Although the Americans lost 300 men, they took the town of York by afternoon. Five days later, on May 1st, they burned down the Parliament Building in York before setting sail for home. The British avenged the burning by firing upon the White House in August 1814. The war concluded shortly thereafter and Americans and Canadians have lived in harmony ever since.

On June 12, 1930, the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine dedicated this bronze monument, the "Peace Memorial," to commemorate over 100 years of peaceful relations between Canada and the United States. In 1958, the fountain and gardens were added and the statue rededicated to the cause of peace. The statue faces the Niagara River, which forms part of the Canada-United States border.

Peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v01_01.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2027   Click image for larger version

Name:	v07_02.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2028   Click image for larger version

Name:	q14_02.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2029  

Last edited by jj; 08-29-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #41
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
And lastly -my son and I in front of the CCC museum in 2000.

cool pics! looks like that tractor needs some greasing
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #42
charlene

I saw many games at Maple Leaf stadium..my love of baseball began there..not when Babe Ruth played however..lol

I could ride that old FLYER for hours.. what a ride..

yep it was the POLAR EXPRESS where the attendant would scream "do Ya Wanna Go Faster?" over the blaring music..

The Bulova Clock tower that became the Shell Tower..

remember me to your VP friend when the Jays get in the playoffs again..
lol

and Howie Mandel story:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ie-mandel.aspx
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #43
jj

lol, yes I wasn't there for the Babe shot either (but the ball still is in the Lake and worth alot of bucks)...I wasn't there for the 3 prior stadiums that existed between mid 1800's and mid 1900's...neat that you saw the Maple Leafs ball team, I went very few times, bro got to go more

oh, I am pretty sure it's the Bulova tower that came after the Shell tower...also, how could we not mention the pathetic Freak shows! I was shaken up when I'd try and sleep at night after bro taking me in there to see the bearded lady or sasquatch or half man, half woman or dainty dora or the various little people or skinny people or rubber skinned man or reptilian man or the world's chubbiest, minibike riding twins, etc, etc

i have never had a CNE perogie...i am adding it to my bucket list, lol

hey, i'm outta touch on US stuff pretty much but the CNE is not really a Disneyland-type park...maybe the Innoventions building and EPCOT stuff...steve, the CNE is a Canada thing, not just Tranna, lol...btw, they have a Pacific National Ex out in BC...it's called the PNE, get it? lol

speaking of out of touch, I just saw this woman candidate shown on the news...better looking (they say a Miss America runner up?) than our former PM, Kim Campbell...wait, she's for VP not Pres, eh...doesn't look like she's had 5 kids, holy crunches...does the VP become Pres if he were to pass on? we don't have a VP up here... the US elections are complex to me...I'd nominate someone who speaks well and looks good and just let the smart folks behind the scenes make the calls and set up the teleprompter... I like Vanessa Williams for 2012, she got all of these Pres / VP candidate parts rolled into one

sure char, I'll get those tix on hold when we reconnect, I'm hoping he's fatter than me, lol...we're were skinny teens...btw, goodbye to Matt Stairs, goodluck
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #44
charlene

The Freak Show - that's what I meant by weirdos..lol
besides the weirdos just walking around..

How about trying to get home on the bus/streetcar/GO trainwith those big stuffed animals won at the Birthday Game?
lol
and the guy with the stiff dog collar attached to the 'pretend' dog, who constantly yelled 'here doggie doggie doggie, here doggie doggie doggie" till you wanted to throttle the life out of him!

yeah - bye to "Stumpy" as I called him . I really liked him..
but my goodness that young'un, Travis Snider is adorable..He's 20 like Lisa..hmmm...she LOVES baseball too..

yeah - the EX isn't anything like Disney..it's real and gritty and urban..not like "the happiest place on earth" - that's for sure!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #45
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
.does the VP become Pres if he were to pass on? we don't have a VP up here... the US elections are complex to me...I'd nominate someone who speaks well and looks good and just let the smart folks behind the scenes make the calls and set up the teleprompter
Yes, the VP becomes president if the president is removed from office by death, scandal, or is mentally disabled (such as a massive stroke).
Old 08-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #46
charlene

EX-and air show:
http://www.thestar.com/TheEx/article/488055
scroll down to box on right.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #47
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Yes, the VP becomes president if the president is removed from office by death, scandal, or is mentally disabled (such as a massive stroke).
thanks, I've learned a lot this week... I wish McCain good health, obviously a fine American...I thought this was cute: http://www.peteyandpetunia.com/VoteHere/VoteHere.htm

btw, which SNL cast member will portray that pitbull? or will they have to recruit a new one? they have got Obama and Hillary to a T already...I don't think impersonations of McCain or Biden will be very comical.... the last time I saw SNL (non-repeat) some gal imitated Sharon Ozborne, hilarious

btw, my 3 sisters are seasoned hockey moms and I would have to say they would be better characterized as poodles (and they wear chapstick, not lipstick...it's cold and windy up here)

hope we are still allowed to 'poke fun' at celebrities and candidates here without getting hostile or declaring ghad ...the day I can't make Chretien jokes or post digi-characatures is the day I cancel my ISP subscription, lol

ps) don't you guys have a Rhinocerous party? no country should be without one
Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #48
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown17 View Post

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people that have hit deer more than once.

You design your kids Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in winter because all the potholes are filled with
snow.

your whole list (actually everybody's! ) is great , Diane! ....but these 4 really hit home for me....see, Canada and the USA really are one big common nation when it comes to the challenges of the day

ps) my driveway alone has atleast 20 potholes at any given time
Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #49
Jesse Joe

lol ! Now that was a funny little video jj...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #50
timetraveler

I got a big kick out of the You Know You're A ...listings, and if I didn't know better, I'd almost swear that you were also describing many of the people of this state as well.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote