banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #26
RM

Default Re: Michael and the saddest day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
ok, half-assed replies are uncalled for
jj,

I need clarification. What differentiates a half-assed reply from a full-assed reply ?

Last edited by RM; 07-08-2009 at 01:11 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #27
jj

good question, as I've learned lately in being asked to explain some expressions I use and the English language in general, well, we make no sense at all really, very illogical and inconsistent

eg) after watching a dinosaur cartoon, i was asked how come there were no houses back then...i said we came later and lived in caves...that's why they were called cavemen....he asked if we were now called housemen...
i said no, not really at all, but good question...but, well, there are streetpeople, tentpeople, trailerparkpeople ...anyhow, don't think too much, we're usually just called human beings...best to just memorize that one, kiddo

rm, in this case, no difference, just a perception thing: is the half-assed full or full-assed half empty? I am the latter type

interesting link discussion:
http://www.languagehat.com/archives/002155.php

the one argues that no-assed is preferable to full-assed

Last edited by jj; 07-08-2009 at 01:35 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #28
RM

Quote:
we're usually just called human beings...best to just memorize that one, kiddo

rm, in this case, no difference, just a perception thing: is the half-assed full or full-assed half empty? I am the latter type
Not sure what you mean.....but you're welcome to perceive me any way you wish.

Do I think Michael Jackson should be deified ? Nope. Is his behavior worth a few laughs ? Yep. Is he a tragic figure ? Yep. Is he any more tragic than the warriors returning from war with missing legs, arms, etc. ? Nope, not even close.

Yep, I'm human.......but never a victim.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #29
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Not sure what you mean
holy, rm...i'm convinced you really don't...that anecdote (kiddo) was me talking to jr, not you...i was giving eg of the crazy English language...i told him of cavemen and he just wondered why we werent now called housemen

the half assed thing was a lame witted reference to your shower moon walk

this story is still front page news even the day after, it should be entertainment section stuff, imo...i guess i dont' know what 'tragic' means, his death was unfortunate as are many each day worldwide...i truly didnt realize he was a Saint-like figure to many and actually many have allegedly committed suicide becuase they didnt' feel they could go on living without him...after seeing those hilarious screaming men in that London video, i guess I shouldnt be surprised

it's some consolation when we learn something from the daily news and/or when someone dies prematurely...i take nothing away from this one, we need to start taking responsibility for our own health choices and not looking for a doctor to sue ...it should be pretty obvious in this day and age that it's unwise to take or mix and match certain meds ...as for other recent passings, putting a noose around your neck (for starters) might lead to problems, not listening to medics following a head fall could be unwise, i could go on...believe me i'm not insensitive, hopefully somewhat rational...what is 'tragic' to me is when young lives are taken by war, drunk drivers, street racers, disease, etc...the term 'greatest ever' thrown around so loosely is also something i just grin and bear...anyhow, i hope all MJ worshippers here are doing well in coping with their loss, i really do...i've been naive about his behaviour the past few decades...some items are just alleged but i only yesterday saw a "real" photo of him holding an infant over a balcony (who fortunately wasn't harmed, physically anyhow...if that was me, my child would be taken away from me, no?)...maybe someday a real MJ fan can explain that sort of action...I know, they'll blame it on "Joe"

I missed the cnn spectacular but taped and sifted through...I saw Mariah sing a tune, it was heartfelt I'm sure but it really wasn't very good singing

note: Steve McNair (talented, succesfull, black QB) was apparently killed....not sure if that's considered tragic but seemed at least footnote worthy
Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
RM

Quote:
holy, rm...i'm convinced you really don't...that anecdote (kiddo) was me talking to jr, not you...i was giving eg of the crazy English language...i told him of cavemen and he just wondered why we werent now called housemen

the half assed thing was a lame witted reference to your shower moon walk
No harm.....no foul.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #31
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
No harm....
good stuff, rm

and i hope my opinions are not taken as harmful to B, our friend who started the thread...if they are perceived as hateful then i've done a poor job of articulating...i've seen some truly hateful comments on youtube and under comments section of our online city paper...my comments are more about fandom and celebrity worship (we GL fans are exempt, lol!) than anything racial...just wanted to make that clear...Lightfoot/Small Talk forward
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #32
Auburn Annie

I thought - for a show business memorial (NOT funeral) - it was a remarkably touching service. I sniffled my way through Stevie Wonder's "Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer" and smiled as I listened to Brooke Shields' remembrances of her friend (him starting in show biz at 5 years old made him a slacker by comparison with her starting at 11 months, lol); laughed at Magic Johnson's glee at being invited to dine with his idol, only to discover - to his delight - that "dinner" was a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken; held my breath as his brother made it, barely, through "Smile" (I may never think of Jerry Lewis again with that song); and wept a little at Paris' farewell to her daddy. Very moving and, in her case, spontaneous, then enfolded in the arms of her aunts and grandmother.

I'm not sure I would have included the children at such a public affair, but on the other hand, it gave them the chance to understand how much affection many people have or had for their dad, his music and dance. If nothing else it seems he loved them very much and tried to be the kind of father he never had.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #33
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
I thought - for a show business memorial (NOT funeral) - it was a remarkably touching service. I sniffled my way through Stevie Wonder's "Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer" and smiled as I listened to Brooke Shields' remembrances of her friend (him starting in show biz at 5 years old made him a slacker by comparison with her starting at 11 months, lol); laughed at Magic Johnson's glee at being invited to dine with his idol, only to discover - to his delight - that "dinner" was a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken; held my breath as his brother made it, barely, through "Smile" (I may never think of Jerry Lewis again with that song); and wept a little at Paris' farewell to her daddy. Very moving and, in her case, spontaneous, then enfolded in the arms of her aunts and grandmother.

I'm not sure I would have included the children at such a public affair, but on the other hand, it gave them the chance to understand how much affection many people have or had for their dad, his music and dance. If nothing else it seems he loved them very much and tried to be the kind of father he never had.
I thought it was a remarkably 'low-key' event and for the most part I too felt very sad and teary that such a tortured, talented soul never knew a real life. Seeing the videos and pics of him over the years from the age of 8 and just owning the stage to the last video of his rehearsals two nights before he died that showed that dynamic energy was very moving. He truly was an amazing artist. Listening to the lyrics of some of his songs now that he is gone really demonstrated the magnitude of his pain. Yet it also showed his compassion and wishes to live in a world of acceptance and love.
Being in the embrace of the family gave great comfort to the children and young Paris showed herself to be strong enough to speak to the watching world but still be a heart broken little girl.
I also was left wondering where all those people were when he was in his darkest years a few years ago. I'd read that Liz Taylor, Berry Gordy and some others all abandoned him.
Michael was a talent like no other and his gifts of music and dance have been and will always be his legacy.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #34
formerlylavender

Thanks for posting these videos, Colorado Sue. I enjoyed watching them. It makes me feel a little bit better to see Michael as a real person having fun and enjoying life.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #35
charlene

http://newsdurhamregion.com/emailvideo/130380

my son Darryl remembers Michael...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
Borderstone

Pardon my abscence from my own thread but the memorial sort of broke me down emotionally and the days since have not been easy ones,not just for this but other things going on with myself.

Thanks for all things all of you posted,they are wonderful.

It's such an ironic thing that last year I took all of my old VHS tape+recorded music from TV ( 1991-1993 ) and transferred it all to to new Dvd's so I'd have it forever.
The last thing I recorded was a special tape of MJ 80s videos a then friend made for me. The only video not on it was 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough'. Also his videos from the Dangerous album.

I fiished the DVD with (what elese?) "Thrilller" in January. It's kind of spooked me a little.

....but I know that's simply a coincidence.

I'm slowly beginning to move forward and evidence of that was today,a woman I like at my work very much, was dressed incredibly feminine. *sigh*

Made me smile insdie and out. Much to my own surprise

Last edited by Borderstone; 07-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #37
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Amazing things are happenning in the afterlife:-

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #38
Borderstone

Today would have been Michael Jackson's 55th birthday and it put me in mind of this thread.

So,I thought I'd bring it back to the top. Wish he were still with us of course.

Here's to what would have been your 55th Michael,you are beyond greatly missed.