banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
T.G.

Default 1968 Concert Now on Wolfgang's Vault!

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/C...px?id=579|2693

Gordon Lightfoot
Fillmore West
San Francisco, CA
10/05/1968

Tracks: 18
Total Time: 58:06

I'm Not Saying 2:40
If I Could 4:05
Softly 3:09
Boss Man 2:24
Black Day in July 4:12
Cold Hands From New York 5:23
Walls 2:20
Affair on 8th Avenue 3:32
Steel Rail Blues 3:10
Long Thin Dawn 2:45
Rosanna 2:39
Mountain and Marian 4:01
Early Morning Rain 3:05
The Auctioneer 2:28
Unsettled Ways 2:13
Unknown 0:33
Pussywillows, Cat-Tails 2:50
Canadian Railroad Trilogy 6:37

Concert Summary

Gordon Lightfoot - 12 & 6 string guitar, vocals
Red Shea - guitar
John Stockfish - bass

This 1968 Fillmore West performance captures Gordon Lightfoot opening a show that also featured Cold Blood and Canned Heat. Although a relative newcomer to American audiences at the time, Lightfoot was already 30 years old and a seasoned songwriter and singer, well respected in his home country, and fairly well known within the folk community. Distinctly Canadian, Lightfoot already had an impressive body of work that covered a wide range of territory, from slow romantic ballads to traditional folk, all delivered in his robust baritone voice.

Accompanied on this performance by cohorts Red Shea on guitar and John Stockfish on bass, Lightfoot delivers a consistently captivating hour of material, consisting of choice tracks from his 1965 debut album, the 1967 follow-up, The Way I Feel and both his 1968 albums, the second of which had yet to be released at the time. The earliest material featured here, "I'm Not Saying," "Steel Rail Blues," and the often covered "Early Morning Rain," were featured on his 1965 debut. All three hold up well and display a timeless quality that would remain an essential quality in much of his future writing.

The fuller sound that he began exploring on his 1967 album, The Way I Feel is well represented by the likes of the lilting romantic ballad, "Softly," "Walls," "Rosanna," and the set-closing epic, "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." On the latter, Lightfoot's magnificent lyrics capture the endless expanse and textures of Canada as well as anything ever written.

Like many songwriters of the era, Lightfoot followed Dylan's path toward Nashville in 1968. He began working with producer John Simon (the Band) and utilized some of the same Nashville musicians that Dylan had employed during the Blonde On Blonde sessions. Although the results were somewhat erratic, Lightfoot's songwriting remained consistently strong. Many of those newer songs are performed here, with sparser accompaniment. "Black Day In July," written in response to the 1967 riots in Detroit, is even more chilling than its studio counterpart and he even performs his unusually baroque orchestral pop song, "Pussywillows, Cat-Tails," here stripped down to its bare essentials.

His fourth album, Back Here On Earth was still a month away from being released, but a good sampling of its content is here, including "If I Could," "Cold Hands From New York," "Long Thin Dawn," "Unsettled Ways," and the finely crafted "Affair On 8th Avenue." It's not surprising that all remain close to the acoustic countrified approach of the studio versions, having just been recorded. The one total surprise here is "The Auctioneer," a song that wouldn't surface until 12 years later on Lightfoot's 1980 release, Dream Street Rose,

Lightfoot was still a few years away from real stardom outside of Canada, but his songwriting craft and distinctive voice was easily as appealing as his more recognized later work. These songs reflect many of the same themes that he would return to throughout his career. Lightfoot would continue to gain recognition for his writing, with the likes of Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Harry Belafonte, Judy Collins, Marty Robbins and even Elvis Presley covering his songs, but few could improve on Lightfoot's own delivery.

Listening to this early live set exemplifies the fact that although he deals with universal themes, Lightfoot and his songs remain the living, breathing embodiment of Canada.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: 1968 Concert Now on Wolfgang's Vault!

Thanks for posting this T.G.

'Wow' a 1968 Gordon Lightfoot concert, w/ Red Shea & John Stockfish and performing, " Black Day In July." { priceless}
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
RM

Echoing Jesse Joe's thanks. This is like getting a new cd. Early, barebones Lightfoot live and before stardom. Great stuff.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
charlene

Distinctly Canadian..all these years later he has become a "Distinct Canadian"..
gotta love it..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
banjobench12

So is there a way to download that concert so its on your ipod?

It doesn't seem to be on the list of concerts for purchase on the site.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
joveski

i was also wondering if there's a way to download the tracks and burn to CDR
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
closetcanadian

I want to add my thanks to T.G. for posting this as well. Christmas came early this year!
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

Good golly what a voice ... sigh. The "groovy" comment at the end of I'm Not Saying when he asks for more volume - classic 60s, lol.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Wow! Thanks TG! You've done your fellow corfidians an immense service!
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
i was also wondering if there's a way to download the tracks and burn to CDR
There are programs out there that will capture the data that passes through your sound card. A Google search of something like "recording from sound card" will show a list of such applications. I have neither the technical aptitude or interest to recommend one over another. Perhaps someone can provide more information.

I asked my son to download the concert, and now I have it. I don't know how.

Last edited by RM; 11-08-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Paul Farnham

RM: Maybe you could get your son to post a tutorial here!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
Good golly what a voice ... sigh. The "groovy" comment at the end of I'm Not Saying when he asks for more volume - classic 60s, lol.

I agree with "what a voice" Annie,

"Give me some sound, will you man ?"

What a cool guy, 1968 Lightfoot...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Farnham View Post
RM: Maybe you could get your son to post a tutorial here!
I take no responsibility for what may follow. From my son :
--------------------------------------------------------

Hello corfid. What you desire is a way to record "What you hear" into a usable format. A quick google search for "What you hear recording" will turn up the proper program to do so...

The first hit is the program I used to do such things. It is a program titled Mp3MyMp3. After downloading the program you would install it (click here for direct download). This is a straight forward process. Double click on the exe file to self extract. Install the program - then run it.

After you are in the program there is three simple steps to make this happen.

1. You will see a source button. You need to click on this button; then select Wave Out Mix. This will make the recording source be anything that comes out of your sound card via the wave out (sound from streaming audio, etc.).

2. start the playback of what you want to record (hit play on the website, etc.). Then hit the big red button on mp3mymp3. It will record until the source stops. After this happens hit the stop button on mp3mymp3.

3. Now via mp3mymp3 you will have an option to save as mp3 or wave. Click on the button "save to mp3" or "save to wav". A dialog will pop up and you can name your file etc.

The maximum recording length is 60min 30sec. It worked perfect for this example.

Now you have the source recorded in your desired format. Use another program (soundforge; anything to separate it into tracks). And viola ... you have your Internet streaming source saved and downloaded.

For those who want this selection - I have separated and made available via fileden the whole wolfgang concert in 320kbs mp3 file format. Here are the links :

1 - I'm Not Sayin'

2 - If I Could
3 - Softly
4 - Boss Man
5 - Black Day In July
6 - Cold Hands From New York
7 - Walls
8 - Affair on 8th Avenue
9 - Steel Rail Blues
10 - Long Thin Dawn
11 - Roseanna
12 - Mountain and Marian
13 - Early Morning Rain
14 - The Auctioneer
15 - Unsettled Ways
16 - Song Intro
17 - Pussywillows, Cat-Tails
18 - Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Hope this helps.
---------------

I saw nothing, I heard nothing. RM

Last edited by RM; 11-09-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Paul Farnham

A big thanks to young Master Meason! A good deal of time & effort went into that post which is much appreciated!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
banjobench12

Thanks so much Ron. Sitting here listening to it on my home stereo. What a treat. Pretty amazing quality.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
Minstrel Man

Under Steel Rail Blues, the file that's coming in is called Affair on 8th Avenue. Is it possible to correct that mistake so that we can get Steel Rail? Thanks.
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #17
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel Man View Post
Under Steel Rail Blues, the file that's coming in is called Affair on 8th Avenue. Is it possible to correct that mistake so that we can get Steel Rail? Thanks.
I certainly hope so......it's not to be missed (Lord, what a voice). I shall try to corner my son and get it done properly.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #18
Gunter

I'm also very excited about this recording and came here to check whether anybody has a lossless (non mp3 ) version of this show. But no luck so far. To me, this recording sounds better than the official live 1969 Sunday Concert album. I chose a different approach with the capturing of the audio stream, using a program called "Total Recorder".
I had to capture it in 1 minute portions as it became scrambled after one minute, then had to painstakingly put the 1 minute segments back together in a wave editor. The result was worth it so: I discovered, that some of the tracks are in stereo, which is not preserved in the capture posted here. Tracks 1, 2 and 9 to 18 are in Stereo. I got no idea why some of these tracks are in stereo, others in mono.
I also like the sound of Gordon's live voice best from this period. I hope very much that an uncompressed version of this show will surface one day. Until then I'll enjoy this one.
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #19
RM

My son tells me the duplicate of "Affair on 8th Avenue" has been replaced with "Steel Rail Blues".
Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
Jesse Joe

Yes Ron everything is OK now. Thank's to, you and your son...

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 11-09-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #21
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Score one for pavement.

This is a test. This is only a test ...
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
Paul Farnham

Well, this techno-dunce is having problems. I dowloaded Mp3Mymp3, but when I click on the source button, there are several options none of which are Wave Out Mix. Also, I've downloaded a few of the tracks from the list above provided by young Meason, but when I play them I only get like 3 seconds. I used Netscape. Should I try Explorer? Help!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Farnham View Post
Well, this techno-dunce is having problems. I dowloaded Mp3Mymp3, but when I click on the source button, there are several options none of which are Wave Out Mix. Also, I've downloaded a few of the tracks from the list above provided by young Meason, but when I play them I only get like 3 seconds. I used Netscape. Should I try Explorer? Help!
I told my son of your problem : his response follows
---------------------------------------------------------
Could you tell me what your options are when you click on source?

Also you probably should right click on the links and choose "Save as..." or "Save Link as..." depending on your browser.

---------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #24
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
Score one for pavement.

This is a test. This is only a test ...
That's far too cryptic for me. Would you mind explaining ?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #25
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
That's far too cryptic for me. Would you mind explaining ?
I would love to.

"Where the pavement never grows"

Sung by Peter Yarrow that way, and on occasion by Lightfoot including in this 1968 concert. On Lightfoot!, Gord sang "Where the cold wind blows", and on Gord's Gold and in concert today he sings "With a pain that ever grows" (or something like that). Don't have that one handy. We have had several discussions on that subject over the years. I love the "pavement" version. It's also on some obscure recording of a college concert in 1969. As I recall, I won a bet over that!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote