Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's, vbulletin,jelsoft,forum,bbs,discussion,bulletin board" /> Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's General Discussion" /> "Your Face">Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's - Gordon Lightfoot Forums

banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Borderstone

By now,most of us have heard both of these versions of this song. Gord's,originally titled,"The First Time",and Miss Flack's which added "Ever I Saw Your Face." I truly do like them both,even though Roberta's went to #1 and was featured in a TV commercial. I feel Gord's shows a man truly and deeply in love with a woman for "the first time". R.F.'s projects how deeply and sensual a woman's love can be as well as the woman herself. Do you think they're equal? ..or do you have a preferred version? Tell me and or us. Been me,later! !

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Restless

(I'm sorry to say that) Flack's version far better displays the melodic beauty of the song.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
gwen snyder

Roberta Flacks' version is quite moving. . . . it just does something to listeners.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:48 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Yeah ... puts 'em to sleep. Sorry, but I always found the tempo in the Flack version wa-a-a-y too slow, almost to the point of irritation.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:02 AM   #5
Restless

Really? I think the complete title of Lightfoot's version is "The First Time Ever I Took Excedrin PM." It's tempo is rather plodding and, the way he sings the melody, I hardly recognize the song as the great one it is...
Old 08-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Chacun a son gout, I guess. From what I could find, Gord's version runs 3:13 to Roberta's 5:19 (with Celine Dion's version falling in-between at just over 4 minutes.) Oddly enough the first cover I can find of this song is by Peter, Paul & Mary way back in 1965, with everybody from Elvis to Nana Mouskouri (sp?) having a go at it. It was written in 1957 by McColl for his life partner, Peggy Seeger (yeah, those Seegers).
Old 08-22-2003, 11:32 AM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well B,

I prefer Gordon's version. "But that's why they make vanilla, chocolate & strawberry ice cream." (that's a really old expression)

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 AM   #8
Ben Dover

I have Peggy Seeger's version of this song on a Ewan McColl album 'Antquities' it is a very basic version, guitar and voice, 2:28 long. With a very basic arpeggio accompaniment. It's very simplicity makes it an extremely beautiful version.

However of the 2 mentioned, I think I prefer Gordon's.
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
Borderstone

In this corner,Auburn Annie and over in that corner Restless! Tonight they'll be wrestling over the topic of Gord vs.Flack in the epic battle of "The First Time"! Didn't mean to start a war. /// I had no idea the song was that far back in time! I knew GL hadn't written it but I thought he was the 1st to record it. As for Celine Dion's version,I haven't heard it and I think I'll keep it that way. I like her but when she covers a song,she always over does it! When she did,"River Deep-Mountain High",I fell over laughing because Tina Turner she's not! I'll stick with my opinion of the primary 2. By the way Annie,never listen to the Flack version unless you're alone with your significant other. Later!

------------------
Old 08-22-2003, 03:08 PM   #10
Restless

Also, for my left-to-the-jaw, I'd say this track is an example of Gord's sometimes excessive vibrato not serving him well. (I really do like Lightfoot! I swear!)
Old 08-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
Borderstone

quote:Originally posted by Restless:
Also, for my left-to-the-jaw, I'd say this track is an example of Gord's sometimes excessive vibrato not serving him well. (I really do like Lightfoot! I swear!)

C'mon,c'mon. Put 'em up,put 'em up. I'll fight ya with one hand tied behind ma back. I'll fight ya on 1 foot! Seriously,to each his or her own Restless!

------------------
Old 08-22-2003, 03:42 PM   #12
SomewhereupinMichigan

I like both versions. However, given the choice, I would prefer to hear Gord sing "The Last Time I Saw Her." I guess I just prefer to hear about endings rather than beginnings!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 02:54 PM   #13
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Restless:

Excessive vibrato? Alright, Mister! Put 'em up! I'm climbing into the ring!
Seriously, I love that vibrato. Whenever I hear one of those old ballads, no matter what I'm doing, I have to stop and listen to that beautiful vibrato.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #14
Brave Soul

Yes, yes, Kathy. I love his vibrato, too. I was thrilled the first time I heard Gordon's version of The First Time . ." Every time I hear it I have to hear it again. It really turns me on.
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Didn't The Chad Michhell Trio's version sound simmaller to Lightfoots? BTW when was there version released?
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #16
Borderstone

I don't know about the Chad Mitchell Trio Touhy but...

for the record it's S-I-M-I-L-A-R. :D (Hee,hee! )

P.S. : Thanks for bringing my 2 & 1/2 year old topic back to the top!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

from an epinions review of the 2 CD "The United Artists Collection"
"The United Artists Collection is actually a compilation of the four studio albums that Lightfoot recorded in the 1960s. This collection packs nearly 50 songs on two jam packed CDs. It contains gentle folk arrangements made smoother by Lightfoot's soft burr of a voice as well as transitional folk-rock tunes.

With two notable exceptions, Lightfoot wrote all of the songs in this collection. The first of the two covers is The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Ewan McColl. It is as pure of a folk song as has ever been recorded. There's nothing there but Lightfoot's voice and a guitar. McColl's lyrics perfectly capture the feeling of brand new passionate can't live without you love."
"Soft burr" "perfectly capture" amen.It captivated me in 1966 and the Flack version was a step backwards in my opinion because Gords version is perfection. Sorry
John Fowles
very interesting opinion touhy regarding the Lightfoot like sound of the Chad Mitchell Trio on their version of "Your Face".i must try to hear it
As I recounted on another topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=003392#000002
on their version of the classic Ian Tyson song "Four Strong Winds" to my ears Mike Kublik sounds incredibly like Gord
John Fowles

A lawman came to capture him The gun jumped in his hand

Lightfoot’s songs capture the spirit of Canada
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
stephanniel

I like both version of "The First time", they both sing about love that a person feels.
stephanniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #19
Auburn Annie

Peggy began learning the piano at six, guitar at 10, and banjo at 15. There was so much music in the suburban Maryland home, she says, that she only listened to her radio for The Lone Ranger, Inner Sanctum, and Backstage Wife. Frequent visitors included Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, and Elizabeth Cotton. The diminutive Guthrie, her equal in height when she was nine years old, carried his guitar without a case, dragging it by its strap like a dog on a leash. Elliott also happened to be on the S.S. Maasdam when Seeger left Radcliffe College to kick around Europe; they had hootenannies in every corner of the ship.

She would find the other major influence in her life across the puddle: British playwright and songwriter Ewan MacColl (1915-89), her life partner for over 30 years. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," his best-known song, can be tied to a precise moment: "March 25, 1956, at 10:30 in the morning," Seeger remembers—the moment they met.

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was written by Ewan MacColl for Peggy Seeger during the course of a transatlantic telephone call in 1957, who needed a short fill-in number for a concert she was giving in the States.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #20
Borderstone

Hey head 2 toe,I know how you feel. The girlfriend I loved (& always will) married another. So sometimes it's tough to listen too,"My Love For You",but it's not as bad as it was,thankfully.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #21
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Haven't listened to Flack's version in years, but I remember it really spoke to my heart the very first time I heard it and so it is hers that I think of.
Kimberly
Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #22
marc in maine

I feel that the song is better suited coming from a man's heart. To me, Ms. Flack's version may sound more dynamic, but it's Mr. Lightfoot's version that seems more genuine and, therefore, complete.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #23
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Borderstone, I just saw this thread today -- I wholeheartedly agree with your interpretation. You hit the nail on the head! Although they gave Roberta's version so much airplay I was SO sick of it after hearing it so much, it is a beautiful song. I prefer Gord's version. (surprise!) LOL
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #24
LSH

Found Roberta's version a yawn-a-rama. Wake me when it's over.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #25
Auburn Annie

Exactly - too slow, almost hynotic (as in sleep-inducing)