banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
charlene

the reviewer sent me the e-mail version and I rec'd hard copy pics from my cousin who lives in Prince George BC.

Prince George Citizen
Oct. 03, 2006
By Frank PEEBLES
Hearing songs from the source is always a deeper experience than radio or CD. When the source is Gordon Lightfoot, there is some kind of mystique attached as well. There he was, Sunday night, performing in Prince George for the first time in his 40-year career. Greatness has an ambiance, and it walked in white leather boots that night. It walked proudly. Lightfoot cannot and does not try to hide his 68 years. His voice trembles, his guitar fingers are a little stiff.

Yet he is no Bob Dylan, who is barely audible in concert these days, or John Lee Hooker who had to make monotone his trademark. Lightfoot still enunciates the words beautifully and hits all the reasonable notes. His voice still has waves of musicality, and a charisma not present on recordings paints the experience with a colour only those who attended have ever seen. His hawkish glare with a mischievous sneer comes across as an old sailor letting you know he still knows how to harness the wind, and it is still a lot of fun. He is unafraid to literally look his audience in the eye, with hawkish mischievousness. It can be said that the experience is better now than it was 30 years ago when he was in his musical prime but also at his self destructive peak. One local fan said he saw Lightfoot at the Orpheum in Vancouver in about 1974 "and he fell off his stool he was so drunk." That's all gone now. Lightfoot's body might be fragile, but his eyes are clear, his mind is open, and he is in control of the tool that is himself. In a way, seeing him Sunday at CN Centre was a privilege beyond mere songs.

He has endured near death experiences in the last few years that nearly took him from us. We have to appreciate that Lightfoot certainly doesn't need the money, he certainly has earned a life of leisure, he sucks up a fair amount of pain just to be there, he could pick and chose the plum personal appearances, yet he feels the urge and conviction to do a national tour when a lot of people his junior couldn't be bothered to abandon the couch for much more than a fresh bag of chips. Greatness has an ambiance. Seeing him in the flesh, there is no way to deny the strings he can pull to gather perfect storyteller's tension in so many of his songs.

Audiences ride the arch of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald no matter how many times they have heard it before. Johnny Cash felt the same sadness, pleasure and angst we all felt Sunday night contained in "If you could read my mind, love, what a tale my thoughts could tell ... I don't know where we went wrong but the feeling's gone and I just can't get it back." Elvis and Dylan both sang along to Early Morning Rain the way audience members did so softly all around the room. In that way, Lightfoot is the great Canadian equalizer. He is the common man who moved uncommon people and us, too. On Sunday night he did it again, in person.

There is no way for Lightfoot to play all the songs that we know and love. He had to leave some behind, but he still gave a show two hours long with no opening act. And he did it with a smooth energy that dodged past his elder realities. From a technical standpoint, the sound mix was so precise (his managers raved about the quality of CN Centre for producing a concert) you could differentiate two separate guitar strings being plucked at the same time, every tap of a block or cling of a triangle. His band was as close to perfect as any group can get with each other. Also, my wife raved, it was the first concert she could remember leaving without a ringing in her ears. Instead, we all left with a ringing in our hearts for a man we might never see again but whom we all know even if we have never formally met him. We know him in the bones of our culture, and the involuntary muscles of our musical memories.

Now we can say we know him personally because he finally came to us in our town.

photos by David Mah for the Prince George Citizen:

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
charlene

the reviewer sent me the e-mail version and I rec'd hard copy pics from my cousin who lives in Prince George BC.

Prince George Citizen
Oct. 03, 2006
By Frank PEEBLES
Hearing songs from the source is always a deeper experience than radio or CD. When the source is Gordon Lightfoot, there is some kind of mystique attached as well. There he was, Sunday night, performing in Prince George for the first time in his 40-year career. Greatness has an ambiance, and it walked in white leather boots that night. It walked proudly. Lightfoot cannot and does not try to hide his 68 years. His voice trembles, his guitar fingers are a little stiff.

Yet he is no Bob Dylan, who is barely audible in concert these days, or John Lee Hooker who had to make monotone his trademark. Lightfoot still enunciates the words beautifully and hits all the reasonable notes. His voice still has waves of musicality, and a charisma not present on recordings paints the experience with a colour only those who attended have ever seen. His hawkish glare with a mischievous sneer comes across as an old sailor letting you know he still knows how to harness the wind, and it is still a lot of fun. He is unafraid to literally look his audience in the eye, with hawkish mischievousness. It can be said that the experience is better now than it was 30 years ago when he was in his musical prime but also at his self destructive peak. One local fan said he saw Lightfoot at the Orpheum in Vancouver in about 1974 "and he fell off his stool he was so drunk." That's all gone now. Lightfoot's body might be fragile, but his eyes are clear, his mind is open, and he is in control of the tool that is himself. In a way, seeing him Sunday at CN Centre was a privilege beyond mere songs.

He has endured near death experiences in the last few years that nearly took him from us. We have to appreciate that Lightfoot certainly doesn't need the money, he certainly has earned a life of leisure, he sucks up a fair amount of pain just to be there, he could pick and chose the plum personal appearances, yet he feels the urge and conviction to do a national tour when a lot of people his junior couldn't be bothered to abandon the couch for much more than a fresh bag of chips. Greatness has an ambiance. Seeing him in the flesh, there is no way to deny the strings he can pull to gather perfect storyteller's tension in so many of his songs.

Audiences ride the arch of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald no matter how many times they have heard it before. Johnny Cash felt the same sadness, pleasure and angst we all felt Sunday night contained in "If you could read my mind, love, what a tale my thoughts could tell ... I don't know where we went wrong but the feeling's gone and I just can't get it back." Elvis and Dylan both sang along to Early Morning Rain the way audience members did so softly all around the room. In that way, Lightfoot is the great Canadian equalizer. He is the common man who moved uncommon people and us, too. On Sunday night he did it again, in person.

There is no way for Lightfoot to play all the songs that we know and love. He had to leave some behind, but he still gave a show two hours long with no opening act. And he did it with a smooth energy that dodged past his elder realities. From a technical standpoint, the sound mix was so precise (his managers raved about the quality of CN Centre for producing a concert) you could differentiate two separate guitar strings being plucked at the same time, every tap of a block or cling of a triangle. His band was as close to perfect as any group can get with each other. Also, my wife raved, it was the first concert she could remember leaving without a ringing in her ears. Instead, we all left with a ringing in our hearts for a man we might never see again but whom we all know even if we have never formally met him. We know him in the bones of our culture, and the involuntary muscles of our musical memories.

Now we can say we know him personally because he finally came to us in our town.

photos by David Mah for the Prince George Citizen:

Old 10-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
brink-

Rick has been with him for 45 years??!! That is longer than I have been alive......
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
charlene

well now that's two lies in one thread...
lolol
Rick joined in 1969 - that's 37 years ago....
and we all know you just turned 39...

omigawd that's funny!
lolol
:0
Old 10-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
charlene

lolol

omigawd that's funny!
lolol
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

wow - what a rave review and he's earned every word of it.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

wow - what a rave review and he's earned every word of it.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
lolol

omigawd that's funny!
lolol
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Don Quixote

Except for the repetition of the "hawkish mischieviousness" bit (and the small factual error), this is one of the best reviews and summations of GL's later years that I have seen. Thanks, Char, for posting.
Regards,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
SilverHeels

My thoughts exactly, DQ.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
RJ

I agree; this is actually beautifully expressed for me; at least it captures the feeling I've had every single time I walk out of the theatre after Old Dan's Records, CRT, Rainy Day People, or whatever other tune over the years, has come last in another memorable evening of life.. great review..

and this is great:

"when a lot of people his junior couldn't be bothered to abandon the couch for much more than a fresh bag of chips."..

I've always said of Bob Dylan and "the never ending tour" that he does what he does not because he has to, or because he needs the money, or because he craves perpetual fame for his tenuous ego etc.. but that he does it.. because IT'S HIS JOB!.. and that's important in life.. you gotta get up in the morning.. and do your job.. or what good are ya.. or as Gord has expressed in a slightly different way I suppose since his "mechanical failure" of 2002: "NO SPINNING WHEELS!!" etc..

If the guys keep comin out, I'll keep showin up.. I guess that's a part of my job.. and I'm happy for it..

[ October 10, 2006, 20:30: Message edited by: RJ ]
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #12
Sydney Steve

Cracking review. I have read a lot of 'em by now. That is one of the best - top dredging (as usual) Char....
The bloke writing draws pictures with his words and affirms some of the things we know in our hearts about the great one - even those of us who know deep down that reading about Gord's concerts is all we will ever be able to do...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #13
charlene

Quote:
even those of us who know deep down that reading about Gord's concerts is all we will ever be able to do... [/QB]
you truly have no idea how sad this makes me...no kidding...it really really does.

char
Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #14
charlene

Quote:
even those of us who know deep down that reading about Gord's concerts is all we will ever be able to do... [/QB]
you truly have no idea how sad this makes me...no kidding...it really really does.

char
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #15
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Great review, Char. Here's an examply of one writer who really gets it.
Gee, it could have been writen by any one of us.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
I agree; this is actually beautifully expressed for me; at least it captures the feeling I've had every single time I walk out of the theatre after Old Dan's Records, CRT, Rainy Day People, or whatever other tune over the years, has come last in another memorable evening of life.. great review..

and this is great:

"when a lot of people his junior couldn't be bothered to abandon the couch for much more than a fresh bag of chips."..

I've always said of Bob Dylan and "the never ending tour" that he does what he does not because he has to, or because he needs the money, or because he craves perpetual fame for his tenuous ego etc.. but that he does it.. because IT'S HIS JOB!.. and that's important in life.. you gotta get up in the morning.. and do your job.. or what good are ya.. or as Gord has expressed in a slightly different way I suppose since his "mechanical failure" of 2002: "NO SPINNING WHEELS!!" etc..

If the guys keep comin out, I'll keep showin up.. I guess that's a part of my job.. and I'm happy for it..
And you know that we WILL (keep comin out)!!!

Louise M.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
Peter Bro10

A Lightfoot concert in like no other. It's not just a show, although it is that, but much more. When I'm at a concert, and Gord is not yet on stage I'm in a room with 2000 friends I've never met yet. If I had front row center and no one else showed up.... I'm sorry, but it wouldn't be the same. What makes a GL concert magical (and down right addictive) is the both the musicians and audience together. I'm convinced he tours because he's as fond of us as we are of him.
What is missing from most newspaper reviews is how well the audience behaves. I've never heard fowl language or profanity of any kind. GL fans possess unusual class and refilect the performer himself.
We're all very fortunate that 2002 was'nt it!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
charlene

Being who he is and what he means to each person in a concert hall mirrors what he feels about us, his fans...
Respect and thankfulness being paramount I'd imagine....
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
charlene

Being who he is and what he means to each person in a concert hall mirrors what he feels about us, his fans...
Respect and thankfulness being paramount I'd imagine....