banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
m1g1w

Default Cover of "Last Time I Saw Her". Bobby Whitman

m1g1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: Cover of "Last Time I Saw Her". Bobby Whitman

ok, this old post needs at least one reply....and here it is:

i've listened to many, many youtube productions: a top 10...in my opinion

...i love it when the first sound i hear on a given day, is the sound of beauty
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
charlene

very lovely...that song really hilites the beauty of the guitar work..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
lighthead2toe

Very beautiful rendition.

It tends to sound closer to the Glen Campbell version that Gord's original recording to me. He pulls out those notes that I can only envy and his guitar work is gentle and sweet. It was an honor for me to sit and play along with him albeit in my living room beside the computer.

That particular song always made me drop whatever I was doing and move in the direction of the speaker. It's just such a "full bodied" piece of work and demonstrates the genius of Gordon Lightfoot and how he can write music that will find it's way into the category of the works of great composers.

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
bwhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Very beautiful rendition.

It tends to sound closer to the Glen Campbell version that Gord's original recording to me. He pulls out those notes that I can only envy and his guitar work is gentle and sweet. It was an honor for me to sit and play along with him albeit in my living room beside the computer.

That particular song always made me drop whatever I was doing and move in the direction of the speaker. It's just such a "full bodied" piece of work and demonstrates the genius of Gordon Lightfoot and how he can write music that will find it's way into the category of the works of great composers.

RJ.
I just read this and wanted to let you know that I am the one who is honored, that you would actually play along with it.
bwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Bobby, other than to tell you those words brought a tear, I really don't know what else to say to this and it's probably related to the awakenings that strike me from time to time and alert me constantly to the joy that has come my way through the music of Gordon Lightfoot.

Tonight I logged in to respond to a post regarding the tribute shows that happen in Toronto every January and kept reading the recent posts and discovered this response from you.

I can't count the number of times I've gone back and listened to this, and yes, also played along with it, and now, with the very sad news about Glen Campbell, your version will to me, mirror the version of his that I've come to know so well.

The more I listen to Gordon Lightfoot's songs, the more I tend to get the feeling that each and individual song seems to fall into a category all of it's own.

Recalling back to when this song first came out in the seventies, I remember if it came on the radio etc., I would discreetly sneak my way close up to the speaker, listen to it all the way, and comfortably shut the rest of the world out.

Thanks so much,

RJ.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

When I played Bobby's cover on youtube I spotted a link to yet another cover of this fabulous song by a lady without her Captain for once

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
jj

john, you must have missed this nice"Toni" thread....her blog was very sweet

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...highlight=toni
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
john, you must have missed this nice"Toni" thread....her blog was very sweet

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...highlight=toni
absolutely correct Jimbo
and for a very good reason I was in a different hemisphere at the time and when I got home I had oodles of catching up to do including deleting a few hundred spam emails and I never obviously got around to looking at all the corfid forums. so many thanks for pointing me to that most excellent thread which I really enjoyed reading
Good job Gord's umbrage did not last long since he has of course played Vegas often since including a most memorable concert on Friday April 29 2005
http://www.lightfoot.ca/050429.htm
when he sang a most rare live rendition of "Inspiration Lady" for Susan and me and most surprisingly and gratifyingly the concert was bootlegged so we can hear Gord mention us three times

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
bwhitman

Ron,

Thanks again for your kind words. I thought about your Glen Campbell reference tonight. A good friend of mine invited my wife and I to the Houston stop on Glen's farewell tour. I wasn't planning to go...I usually avoid sad things, but I knew it would be important to my friend. This fellow and I played in a duo together when I was 17 and he 16. Glen Campbell was his favorite, and he played guitar (an Ovation) with the same flat-pick/fingerpicking style. Also sounded alot like him when he sang. It was uncanny. He is the person who introduced me to the song "The Last Time I Saw Her", way back then.
Seems like I have trouble accepting people getting old and things changing. I never went to see Gord as early in his prime as I wish I would have...although I've seen him several times and even planned a couple of long vacation trips around his concerts..including an unforgettable one at Massey Hall...
Sorry to ramble...
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

No worries Bobby.
I've just been going through some of the stuff that Google has up there on Glen Campbell and yes it can bring on a downer, especially at this time of year when those two worlds of joy and sorrow often collide.
Although being in the middle of moving from Vancouver to live in Ottawa at the time, I regret not making an effort to get to see him when he was in Toronto this year at the Canadian National Exhibition. hindsight....
But speaking of Massey Hall, we're sitting on pins and needles just waiting in great anticipation for an updated tour schedule to include the usual series of November concerts Gord does there.
Would be great if you could join us for the fun time we have there throughout the week during his shows.
Cheers and the best to you in the New Year.
RJ.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
bwhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
No worries Bobby.
I've just been going through some of the stuff that Google has up there on Glen Campbell and yes it can bring on a downer, especially at this time of year when those two worlds of joy and sorrow often collide.
Although being in the middle of moving from Vancouver to live in Ottawa at the time, I regret not making an effort to get to see him when he was in Toronto this year at the Canadian National Exhibition. hindsight....
But speaking of Massey Hall, we're sitting on pins and needles just waiting in great anticipation for an updated tour schedule to include the usual series of November concerts Gord does there.
Would be great if you could join us for the fun time we have there throughout the week during his shows.
Cheers and the best to you in the New Year.
RJ.
Ron,
A Happy New Year to you as well. Thank you for the invite. It sounds great. Unfortunately that won't be possible this year. Hopefully Gord will continue to play, and we could maybe shoot for next year. Canada is one of our favorite places, and that particular trip to Toronto in 2005 was one of the best vacations ever! Will be anxious for your review of the concert, when it happens.