banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #51
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Hey B45: Interesting story: 25 years ago because of that song I suggested naming our imminent daughter July. I was, however, vetoed by the person who had to actually carry & deliver the baby. I'm not suicidal. I know when and to whom to defer LOL!
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #52
surgery4

Yeah, but then there'd always be that "Black Day In July" cloud hovering over your head if your daughter grew up not particularly liking being named after a month; even though it was really a song inspiration.
Personally - I like it, but you were right to defer.
My administrative assistant's name is Rainbow. It is her birth name - and she loves it and so does everyone that knows her.
surgery4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #53
B45-12

Yeah, but then there'd always be that "Black Day In July" cloud hovering over your head if your daughter grew up not particularly liking being named after a month; even though it was really a song inspiration.
Personally - I like it, but you were right to defer.
My administrative assistant's name is Rainbow. It is her birth name - and she loves it and so does everyone that knows her.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #54
CanadaGirl38

"Is There Anyone Home" is a good example of the right use of a synthesizer. Tasteful and not at all overpowering. I am unfortunately at work at the moment so I can't hit you with a really ititating example. No desire to send Mr. Heffernan to the unemployment line.

Yeah, I miss Peewee, too. Heck, I miss Red and I only saw him once...

I look at times for those B-45s on Ebay. Once in a while I'll find one. Need the combination of mood and money - t'aint's easy. I'm waiting for one that says "Stolen from Gordon Lightfoot! Yes, this fine example of a Gibson B-45 12 string is the actual one from the cover of Sundown ....." I know theft is supposedly what happened to that one.
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #55
fezo

"Is There Anyone Home" is a good example of the right use of a synthesizer. Tasteful and not at all overpowering. I am unfortunately at work at the moment so I can't hit you with a really ititating example. No desire to send Mr. Heffernan to the unemployment line.

I look at times for those B-45s on Ebay. Once in a while I'll find one. Need the combination of mood and money - t'aint's easy. I'm waiting for one that says "Stolen from Gordon Lightfoot! Yes, this fine example of a Gibson B-45 12 string is the actual one from the cover of Sundown ....." I know theft is supposedly what happened to that one.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #56
surgery4

Quote:
Originally posted by fezo:
I look at times for those B-45s on Ebay. Once in a while I'll find one. Need the combination of mood and money - t'aint's easy. I'm waiting for one that says "Stolen from Gordon Lightfoot! Yes, this fine example of a Gibson B-45 12 string is the actual one from the cover of Sundown ....." I know theft is supposedly what happened to that one. [/QB]
Well said: "combination of mood and money"
That is the story that I heard also - stolen. I think he lost a few that way....I know I lost a couple valuable guitars back when I was reckless and a bit too trusting.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #57
B45-12

Quote:
Originally posted by fezo:
I look at times for those B-45s on Ebay. Once in a while I'll find one. Need the combination of mood and money - t'aint's easy. I'm waiting for one that says "Stolen from Gordon Lightfoot! Yes, this fine example of a Gibson B-45 12 string is the actual one from the cover of Sundown ....." I know theft is supposedly what happened to that one. [/QB]
Well said: "combination of mood and money"
That is the story that I heard also - stolen. I think he lost a few that way....I know I lost a couple valuable guitars back when I was reckless and a bit too trusting.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #58
Ginny

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
Hi Denny and welcome to the family. Just love the name seeing the B45 is my instrument of fav these days. If you're still in Western Canada it would be cool to connect. I'm sure we'd have a tale or two to tell and a tune or two to blend. Stay loose! Ron J.
Picture of young Ron Jones with one of HIS 2 B45s

se old topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=003671#000004
[/QUOTE]Cool stuff guys. Just a follow up here and thanks John. I'm a fun loving guy and this is really great fun. So here are the stats on this B45. (I call it my baby boy) The folks at "Rufus' guitar Shop" here in Vancouver, BC did the research for me when I had it insured Sept, /98. Here's what it it says: (1964) Serial # 155221 (2) stamped back of peghead, model rubber stamped on back joiner strip inside. (no label) Solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides.Neck joins at 14th fret, reverse belly rosewood bridge, originally adjustable, but filled with rosewood and routed for fixed saddle, repaired neck at top nut splinted and oversprayed, Kluson Deluxe strip machine heads with cream plastic buttons, three piece mahogany neck cherry back and sides. Natural top, bridge plate replaced when adjustable part taken out. Minor pick wear at sound hole, finish checking. Factory hard- shell arch top case. No longer in production, They estimated the value of it at $2015 Cdn. at that time. There have been offers but when you label an instrument your baby there's really no way to put a price on something you derive so much joy from. My biggest thrill comes when others play it so that gives me the opportunity to hear it back and what a joy it really is when you hear your baby sing. Cheers, Ron J.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #59
CanadaGirl38

"My biggest thrill comes when others play it so that gives me the opportunity to hear it back and what a joy it really is when you hear your baby sing. Cheers, Ron J."

No problem! Come on over!
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #60
fezo

"My biggest thrill comes when others play it so that gives me the opportunity to hear it back and what a joy it really is when you hear your baby sing. Cheers, Ron J."

No problem! Come on over!
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #61
New 12 String Mike

Denny,

Welcome to the group. Nice to have another player here.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #62
surgery4

[QUOTE]Originally posted by B45-12:
Hi to Jesse-Joe and Charlene. I gotta say that I didn't think for one second I could sneak in here with the B45-12 handle undetected. Gordon is so identified with that Gibson model. Probably more so than any other Artist with any instrument.

...One exception to this would have to be Roger Mcguinn and his famous 12 string...the Rickenbacker 370 (I believe). Either way you go - if you perform live and dare to play either one of these guitars - comparisons and requests will be hurled your way; some good, some not so good... You can play any Martin you want - or Guild - or Fender and escape this association...but the B45-12 IS LIGHTFOOT - and the Rickenbacker 370 IS McGUINN, and are sacred instruments to some silly people - and (some) will just not leave you alone for playing one. Of course few if any (other than Gordon and those who know the history here) will tell you that Gordon was inspired to get his B45-12 by listening and admiring Bob Gibson. Naturally, nearly all of these types of comments come from players and wannabee players....! It's the musicians equivalent of stepping onto the stage with one sparkly glove on one hand only..
(do we detect a personal experience here denny?)
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #63
B45-12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by B45-12:
Hi to Jesse-Joe and Charlene. I gotta say that I didn't think for one second I could sneak in here with the B45-12 handle undetected. Gordon is so identified with that Gibson model. Probably more so than any other Artist with any instrument.

...One exception to this would have to be Roger Mcguinn and his famous 12 string...the Rickenbacker 370 (I believe). Either way you go - if you perform live and dare to play either one of these guitars - comparisons and requests will be hurled your way; some good, some not so good... You can play any Martin you want - or Guild - or Fender and escape this association...but the B45-12 IS LIGHTFOOT - and the Rickenbacker 370 IS McGUINN, and are sacred instruments to some silly people - and (some) will just not leave you alone for playing one. Of course few if any (other than Gordon and those who know the history here) will tell you that Gordon was inspired to get his B45-12 by listening and admiring Bob Gibson. Naturally, nearly all of these types of comments come from players and wannabee players....! It's the musicians equivalent of stepping onto the stage with one sparkly glove on one hand only..
(do we detect a personal experience here denny?)
Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #64
Borderstone

Hell there Denny and welcome from me,Borderstone,to you. You'll have to excuse my not posting here to say hi sooner,but job searching takes up a great deal of my library internet time.

As well as I just now noticedd this thread! LOL!

Glad to have another Lightfoot internet bud up here.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #65
micsandy287

Default Re: Greetings - I'm New Here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery4 View Post
RM: Does the name Cisco and Boston Mason mean anything to you?
I just stumbled across this site as I was listening to a CD of Cisco and Boston Mason and thought I should reply! Ron (Boston Mason) is a good friend--are you familiar with their music? They played in the Bay Area in the 70s.
micsandy287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #66
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsandy287 View Post
I just stumbled across this site as I was listening to a CD of Cisco and Boston Mason and thought I should reply! Ron (Boston Mason) is a good friend--are you familiar with their music? They played in the Bay Area in the 70s.
I'm afraid not. Do they have anything on youtube ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #67
geodeticman.5

Hey Denny how's it goin ? Welcome to the group; but its sounds like you've been am informal member, your knowledge of Gord, your having 'lurked' -
(in the best sense of the term) for quite some time. I gotta agree on one song with you allready -"That Same Old Obsession". Outstanding lyrics, vocals, and visualization of the sunshining 'line gold'. It's in my top ten. "I Can't Depend on Love" on the 'flipside' - I'm sure you'll agree that'll date us both , as knowing its on side 'B' on the old vinyl.

I love the whole ODR album, maybe minus the much Freudianized (?) interpretation seems agreed upon by many for 'My Pony Won't Go'. MY take on that song would fall out of thread bounds in welcoming you and the subjects you've brought that I see are allready stimulating the group talk.

One thought on 'Pony' -from where I sit and have read of The Man's'
former excesses in partying' - per his words, I have the impression he pretty much in general must have been up and at 'em for a majority of ride's both around the Cold shoulder, as well as through the woodlands and the vallies. Maybe that old horse failed him once or twice in all that fray. So what horse doesn't get a stone bruise once in awhile ?

Please share many more of your stories with is. I believe you you said you were 56, which would put you right in the sidepocket with a great majority of us. A large number of the guys ( me included) are are in their fifties and on.
The gals, well.. they rarely will discuss their age. We're also diverse in the age respect, in that I'm truly pleased to see how well illustrated the saw is that Gord's music is timeless is by when we hear in this forum from College students, , and young men and women frequently 'discovering' Lightfoot
(I love it !), and join the group. I get an allmost a vicarious thrill by hearing tell of their gushing enthusiasticaly when they speak of the 3-8 albums they have, and breathlessly ask us to recomend "which CD next?". Our answer - 'well, if you liked ( album) then you'd probably like (a few albums), varying to "everysingle one you can get your hands on."

Glad you joined us Denny. I usually talk too much
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #68
B45-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsandy287 View Post
Hello Micsandy287...
I used to know those guys (Cisco and Boston aka Norm and Ron) back in the 70's. Mostly Ron. They had quite a following - and we were traveling in similar circles. Ron used to come into the Music Shoppe in San Mateo California (my birthplace - and home up to 1980). They were fun to watch on stage and great music along with great personalities. Lost touch long ago. It was right around that time that I first met Gordon; around 1977-78. We spent a few hours in the company of some (then) San Francisco radio deejays. In those days I was quite active in the S.F. Recording scene, and played on many many sessions back in the day.
To save your Google search - San Mateo is a peninsula city, about 20 miles south of San Francisco. Actually - another old acquaintance (and great Canadian, Neil Young) lives in San Mateo County...in the trees between Woodside and the coastline. Used to be called Broken Arrow Ranch...not sure about now. His wife Peggy and I graduated from the same high school - one year apart. Run into Neil from time to time. Good dude! Great father ! (sorry for the name dropping - but I really do not mind if you do, if it makes for an interesting read).
Well - my last post was when I was a mere 56 year old man. I am now 58. Sorry, I will visit more often; just as soon as I find a few more names to drop on ya'll!
I hope all are well and healthy. I enjoy your posts - often!
Denny aka B45-12
B45-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #69
B45-12

Default Hello again . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Hey Denny how's it goin ? Welcome to the group; but its sounds like you've been am informal member, your knowledge of Gord, your having 'lurked' -
(in the best sense of the term) for quite some time. I gotta agree on one song with you allready -"That Same Old Obsession". Outstanding lyrics, vocals, and visualization of the sunshining 'line gold'. It's in my top ten. "I Can't Depend on Love" on the 'flipside' - I'm sure you'll agree that'll date us both , as knowing its on side 'B' on the old vinyl.

I love the whole ODR album, maybe minus the much Freudianized (?) interpretation seems agreed upon by many for 'My Pony Won't Go'. MY take on that song would fall out of thread bounds in welcoming you and the subjects you've brought that I see are allready stimulating the group talk.

One thought on 'Pony' -from where I sit and have read of The Man's'
former excesses in partying' - per his words, I have the impression he pretty much in general must have been up and at 'em for a majority of ride's both around the Cold shoulder, as well as through the woodlands and the vallies. Maybe that old horse failed him once or twice in all that fray. So what horse doesn't get a stone bruise once in awhile ?

Please share many more of your stories with is. I believe you you said you were 56, which would put you right in the sidepocket with a great majority of us. A large number of the guys ( me included) are are in their fifties and on.
The gals, well.. they rarely will discuss their age. We're also diverse in the age respect, in that I'm truly pleased to see how well illustrated the saw is that Gord's music is timeless is by when we hear in this forum from College students, , and young men and women frequently 'discovering' Lightfoot
(I love it !), and join the group. I get an allmost a vicarious thrill by hearing tell of their gushing enthusiasticaly when they speak of the 3-8 albums they have, and breathlessly ask us to recomend "which CD next?". Our answer - 'well, if you liked ( album) then you'd probably like (a few albums), varying to "everysingle one you can get your hands on."

Glad you joined us Denny. I usually talk too much
Hello to geoSteve..
Thank you. It has been a while for me. Please do not worry about talking too much. I am a run-on sentence - and at times, need to be stopped.
I am quite fortunate in the sense that I do have many fond memories and many what I consider to be good stories. They range from a few real goodies (Gordies) - mostly amusing, and. . . . . lots and lots of other "recognizable's" from yesteryear!
I am glad to know that so many young people these days are tuning in the good music and am always amazed at just how many love Gord's music. It's just plain cool!
Maybe one day I will pass along the story about Gord and (yours truly) taking a long stroll on the boat docks at Clear Lake California - around the time of "Restless."
Ducking behind a houseboat - singing "Puff The Magic Dragon" - no....wait, we were Draggin the Magic Puff - well, I think you get my drift. But, the real story is in the conversation we had. Quite inspiring. I think the world of him and his music and of course his legacy. It is good to see him from time to time, and better yet, it is good to hear him anytime!
Until next visit......
Denny
B45-12
B45-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #70
jj

Default Re: Hello again . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by B45-12 View Post
I am glad to know that so many young people these days are tuning in the good music and am always amazed at just how many love Gord's music.
great stuff...looks like the legend just may live on afterall

yes, please share more of your frolic in the autumn mist
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #71
timetraveler

Good to "see" a new face in the crowd. Hope that you enjoy yourself here. Just for kicks, I picked up a CD with some of Jim Croce's music on it, and one of the songs that I heard was Photgraphs & Memories. I swear, that song sounded more like Gordon should've been singing it. Even the guitar music sounded like something that was his.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #72
charlene

Richard Harrison replies:
"Fezo seems to suggest that the stolen 12 string was the one on the cover of Sundown.
Not true. The one on the cover was the replacement for the blond top B45 that was stolen. Somebody offered it
for sale and Al Mair asked me to audition it. I gave my approval and Gord bought it.
————

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote