banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-11-2000, 10:12 AM   #26
Sundreme@aol.com

quote:Originally posted by midnightmisty:
No Fear, Erica!

This topic will keep on going (near the top)
because ALOT of us and admire, respect and just plain adore Terry with hearts a flutter!
He's quite a "complete package", wouldn't you
say? I somehow think you will! (tee hee...)

midnightmisty

Misty, I couldn't agree more! He is some package! Speaking of package, its certainly appropriate to use that analogy today. Its my birthday, and he'd sure make a package I wouldn't mind seeing presented and wrapped all pretty!
Erica
Old 09-11-2000, 02:15 PM   #27
Rebecca

Happy birthday, Erica!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2000, 02:46 PM   #28
lcjones

Happy birthday, Erica!
lcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2000, 02:46 PM   #29
knottypine

Happy birthday, Erica!
knottypine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2000, 03:18 PM   #30
charlene

Erica - Happy Birthday! maybe you should put your "package" request on your Christmas wish list!
Santa might be able to help you cuz I don't think any of us can!LOL
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2000, 03:18 PM   #31
charlene

Erica - Happy Birthday! maybe you should put your "package" request on your Christmas wish list!
Santa might be able to help you cuz I don't think any of us can!LOL
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2000, 02:48 PM   #32
Rebecca

So, has anyone heard any recent news about Terry?
Old 09-14-2000, 04:24 AM   #33
Sundreme@aol.com

Well, the only news I've heard about Terry recently is that his #1 fan had a birthday on the 11th.

sorry I missed it, Erica! Happy belated
birthday!

(erica, is it ok with you if I'm his #2 fan?)

midnightmisty

Sounds great to me, Misty! I don't want to feel like I'm the only one enamoured by the handsome Mr. Clements. You can be my sidekick! Maybe we can even start our own little club.
Anyway, thanks for the birthday wishes, belated or not and thanks to Rebecca, Barb and our long suffering Char who's had to wish me Happy Birthday at least 23 times this week!
Erica
Old 10-14-2000, 12:17 AM   #34
H.

Erica,
What's the latest news regarding the handsome Mr. Clements?
Old 10-17-2000, 07:49 PM   #35
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by H.:
Erica,
What's the latest news regarding the handsome Mr. Clements?

Well H,
I haven't heard much news about him since the last tour ended, but I think its safe to say he's still handsome!(-:
Looking forward to seeing him play when GL and the boys come to Fla in March.
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 03:19 AM   #36
H.

Is Terry especially fond of fringy hemlines?
Old 10-20-2000, 02:31 PM   #37
Sundreme

Erica,

Here's some news about Terry. I recently discovered the "small talk" section. And someone asked the question about who would you invite to small dinner party for 4. Well, of course I have to be there. But I invited you and Terry! And my favorite actor, Trevor Eve. The seating arrangement is
"boy, girl, boy, girl". You said you would share Terry with me. Thank you. But I will share Trevor with no one! (LOL)

So there's the news. Erica and Terry are having dinner at my house. Don't forget to wear a fringy hemlined dress.

midnightmisty

Ok Misty!
I won't ask you to share Trevor, but that means that I get to have TC all for my very own self!!
I'm now off to find the cutest fringy hemlined dress I can find! I promise if I can't find one,I wont wear anything else!!
Erica
Old 10-26-2000, 09:41 AM   #38
Sundreme@aol.com

To "H",
No. Terry isn't especially fond of fringy hemlines. He's EXTREMELY fond of fringy hemlines! According to him, it's "That Patsy
Cline LOOK!!"! The man loves Patsy.

Erica,
What's THAT supossed to mean?! You must wear something. I still have a supply of those dresses. Since you'll be at my house, you can
borrow one and keep it as a souvenier. I'll
email you a secret about the blue one. A roadie told me....how embarrassing.

p.s. Gord loves fringy hemlines, too, but I do believe lots of fans have figured that out by now! They were everywhere in the crowd
back in the 80s.

midnightmisty

Alright Misty,
Ok If you insist...I'll wear something.(-: Thanks for letting me borrow the dress. I hope I look good in it as I'm sure you do. May I ask what you are cooking. I'm not fussy, but I wonder what Terry likes to eat? I've heard that he can cook too, him wonder what his specialty is?
Anyway, eagerly awaiting your email with the secret about the Blue Dress!
Erica

Old 10-30-2000, 08:40 PM   #39
DB

Sorry Clementine, but I have to disagree with you on that topic. When Red had left, Lightfoot had not had a chart topping hit. Yes Terry is a good guitar player, but it was Red's guitar that really embellished his recordings. It's really too bad that you had to miss Gordon's success and his best years, but if Terry is your cup of tea so be it. Sorry, "Terryites" but it's too bad that you became fans late in his career, and had to miss the Lightfoot that was.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:41 PM   #40
supaiblue

DB, so you're saying anyone who actually likes Terry became a GL fan so "late in his career?" As opposed to you?? Please share with us some of your stories as a fan in the early days. And personally, I don't like any of the "chart-topping hits."
supaiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 02:26 PM   #41
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by DB:
Sorry Clementine, but I have to disagree with you on that topic. When Red had left, Lightfoot had not had a chart topping hit. Yes Terry is a good guitar player, but it was Red's guitar that really embellished his recordings. It's really too bad that you had to miss Gordon's success and his best years, but if Terry is your cup of tea so be it. Sorry, "Terryites" but it's too bad that you became fans late in his career, and had to miss the Lightfoot that was.

DB, I don't know if you're trying to say that when Red left, Gord HADN'T YET had any chart topping hits, or that when he left, Gord NO LONGER had any hits. Either way, your assertion is incorrect. "If You Could Read My Mind" was recorded before Terry came aboard. The credits of "Sundown" list Terry playing acoustic and Red handling the electric guitar duties. "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" was after Red's departure. So it appears that Red Shea and Terry Clements played on an equal number of hits. Not that I think how many hits one has or plays on, is really an accurate measure of one's talent or a song's worth. Gord had lots of great songs that weren't chart climbers, but I'm just addressing your point.
If you're saying that since Red was earlier, the only reason anyone could possibly prefer Terry, is if they became fans later in GL's career and didn't get a chance to hear Red's playing, that is not quite correct either. First of all, many fans of Terry's have been listening to Gord since Red was GL's one and only ax man. Secondly, quite a few of us who became GL followers later on, have nearly ALL of Gord's songs...from the UA years to Painter Passing Through. So we didn't miss either guitarist's recordings, as they last forever. Some of us just happen to love Terry's playing because his sound is unique, stirring, soulful and downright brilliant. Not that Red's isn't and I certainly don't want to sound like I am putting him down, far from it... but when I heard "Wreck", it was Terry's lead guitar that first captured my attention. The notes he pulls from that instrument seem to conjure up not only an aural, but a visual image of the events playing out in the song. He can take a meloncholy song like "Stone Cold Sober" and make it absolutley heart wrenching. His guitar sounds as if its almost weeping in sympathy with Gord's broken hearted lyrics. "Dream Street Rose" becomes infused a with sonic color when he adds his masterful touch to it. If you think Red is the bomb, fine..because he's certainly worthy of much praise. But to refer to Terry as merely a "good" guitar player is just an insult to an awesome talent. Terry isn't just good, he's fantasic. Many of us think he's all that and a bag of chips AND a snickers bar too!!
Erica(and a pint of Ben & Jerry's!)
Old 11-03-2000, 01:48 PM   #42
DB

Sundreme,

I was reading your statement, and I also have to DISAGREE with you,

Terry Clements is NOT like a snickers bar or a bag of potato chips, he is more like a "spare tire" when then the car has a flat. Yes he might have played on SOME of Gord's chart topping hits, but on most of them, and on some of the albums that are available on CD!!! but when you come to think of it, Red had played MORE different guitars on Lightfoot's recordings than Terry did!!! He played a Fender Stratocaster, a Fender Telecaster, A gut-string classical, a dobro, A Martin D-28, and a Martin D-35!!! Terry on the other hand ONLY played TWO guitars: A Martin D-18 and A Gretsch Country Gentleman. When Lightfoot was "Lightfoot" in those glory days, Clements' ONLY used the D-18. The Edmund Fitzgerald from 1976 was the ONLY chart topper and most successful hit that he used the Gretsch Country Gentleman on!!! The same thing applied to Summertime Dream. Red Shea plays in different ways: Fingerstyle: Using thumb and fingers, fingerpicks, flatpicks, and Travis style, like Gord's!!! He can also play using classical techniques, and in a Nashville Country style!!! Terry's style of playing is very limited he ONLY plays with a pick. He uses a capo, which Red very seldomly does!!! Gord has once said that he would NOT recommend others using the capo a lot. Red is NOT only a back up musician, he was also an arranger and a musical consultant for two albums: ENDLESS WIRE, and DREAM STREET ROSE. Terry just plays the guitar and that's just about it.
Old 11-04-2000, 07:37 AM   #43
Sundreme

Hey Misty,
Well that's just about the nicest compliment you can give me. To say I resemble someone frilly hemline dress..anytime!! I would do just about anything for that sweet man, but that Terry adored so much is just wonderful! Thank you. Well, I don't know if I'd wear a wig, I kind of like my own hair..but a hopefully he'd appreciate me with my own locks. Instead of looking just like Patsy, We could tell him I'm her long lost daughter!! Although I was born after she passed on sadly, so maybe her niece. I just wish I could sing like the great Ms Cline!!
BTW, Don't forget to tell us why he sits on stage. I'm really curious. Have a great one!
Erica
Old 11-04-2000, 07:50 AM   #44
Sundreme

Hey Misty,
That's weird. Even though I proof read my last post, it seems to have come out all garbled..Bizarre!! I really have to get around to registering so I can edit my messages.
Anyway, I was thanking you for sweet compliment you gave me when you said I resembled Patsy. I also said that its just one of the best compliments I could hear, to be told that I resemble someone that he adored so much.
I mentioned that I didn't know about wearing a wig, because I kind of like my own hair...I'd do anything for that sweet man, but he seems like the kind of person that appreciates people for themselves anyway...so hopefully he could put up with my long locks!! LOL, But a frilly dress...anytime! Instead of totally resembling her, we could tell him I'm her long lost daughter . But since she sadly passed away before I was born, maybe her neice. Just wish I could sing like her! Well, I think that pretty much clarifies what I was trying to say in my last post.
Its so funny, the way it came out, it looks like I was saying that I resembled a frilly hemline dress!! LOL
Oh, Kate, also like I said in the last post, dont forget to tell us why he sits on stage...!! Well, hopefully this post wont show up all garbled...Keeping my fingers crossed.
Erica
Old 11-05-2000, 12:25 AM   #45
Roy

I have read DB's comparison between Red Shea and Terry Clements, and they sound accurate to me. DB sounds like a real criticizer (see what he wrote under withor without moustache) but he or she sure nailed the descriptions, and makes and models of the guitars that theses two pickers use right on the nose. Way to go DB!!!!

P/s Clements fans don't feel low, Terry is doing a brave thing filling in for Red Shea and I think that it takes courage andne r ve to do it so keep up the good work with keeping tradition Terry.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:25 AM   #46
Roy

I have read DB's comparison between Red Shea and Terry Clements, and they sound accurate to me. DB sounds like a real criticizer (see what he wrote under withor without moustache) but he or she sure nailed the descriptions, and makes and models of the guitars that theses two pickers use right on the nose. Way to go DB!!!!

P/s Clements fans don't feel low, Terry is doing a brave thing filling in for Red Shea and I think that it takes courage andne r ve to do it so keep up the good work with keeping tradition Terry.
Old 11-06-2000, 09:14 PM   #47
sundownbuff

While visiting with Terry in San Diego I asked him why he sat while he played. He said that it was because he is taller than Gordon and that is what Gordon wants. Simple as that.
What a pleasure it was to meet him. He is very kind to his fans and certainly has a wonderful sense of humor.

He and Gordon get along so well, it is very apparent when they are together.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 04:44 AM   #48
Rebecca

Erica,
I don't care what DB says. I bet if you put on your Patsy Cline dress (with or without the wig) and asked really nicely, Terry would be more than happy to give you guitar lessons. Give it a try! He coldn't possibly turn you down.
Again, with no malice whatsoever intended towards Red Shea, Terry probably has had far less free time on his hands than Red has for atn least the past 20 years. What time he has, he probably wants to spend with his family. It's understandable that he would not do any teaching.
I'm told that he had a really rough childhood. He's probably spent much of his adult life ensuring that his kids had a more pleasant and stable childhood than he had.
So what if he doesn't teach? He's still the greatest!
Old 11-07-2000, 06:52 PM   #49
Roy

Hey Rebecca,

What's your gig? You mean you don't care what DB says? And You think Terry wll give her lesssons, and what's up with this Patsy Cline thing? This is a Gordon lightfoot website.So who cares about PatsyCline anyway. That DB loser knows more about guitars and guitarpicking styles than you'll ever know, so if you think TC is the "bomb" then why don't YOU get lessens form the man himself? This DB guy may be a losser but at least wise he probbly seen both of these two guitarists in action. Why don't you analyze Terry's guitar playing and compare it to Red? Why don't you get yourself a D18 or a Gretch Country Gentlemen and start studying Terry's guitarplaying? And play anywey? And who needs a wig to bribe Terry anyway? He likes your hair the way it is. So what if Terry's dreamgirl is Patsycline? I mean who cares? And who cares about why he sits down when he plays? Maybe he feels comfortable in that position. Different guitar players feel comfortable in different positions. Terry's just happens to be sitting down. You know something I found that most of the people who admire Terry's playing are GIRLS or LADIES if you may hoo don't paly guitar and the MEN or BOYS or tose woo paly guitar are RED fans. It's probbly because you girls are so dazzzled by Tery's looks and not hsi fingerings. You girls need a man, and one who is educated on guitars, so quit saying he's so fantastic and start notonly reading the credits and looking at the face and start llooking at his hands on the gutiar!!!!!
Old 11-07-2000, 07:29 PM   #50
supaiblue

DB = Roy
supaiblue is offline   Reply With Quote