banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default Question : Lightfoot Consider Other Offers in 1970?

I finally thought of an original question about Gordon (at least I hope so.)

We know Lightfoot recorded for Chateau & the "Warner" tapes of the 60s before signing with United Artists.

When he decided to make the jump to Warner/Reprise in 1969/1970,was he "courted" by any other lables or was he still not profitable or successful enough that ,War.-Rep. was the only taker.

Also,at anytime during his contract,did he look around to other labels when sales got low or when the hits stopped coming?

I know many acts do this in these kind of scenarios but I can't picture Gordon trying to get out of a contract he'd gone willingly into just a short time before. Maybe after 1982,I could see but hey.....let me know.

Anyone & everyone who knows,I thank you in advnace for your reply.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Rob1956

Default Re: Question : Lightfoot Consider Other Offers in 1970?

This is a great question! I'm sure some folks here will have a definitive answer, but my speculation is that Gord's close relationship with Lenny Waronker would've given him pause to leave Warner's, unless he felt he was really mistreated. I'm sure Gord had some moments when he may have been irked at some corporate meathead. But remember, to this day, Gord's label, Linus, is affiliated with Warner Bros.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1956 View Post
But remember, to this day, Gord's label, Linus, is affiliated with Warner Bros.

Thanks for that comment Rob
I had been wondering why the new CD is apparently going to be on on Rhino/Warners instead of Gord's "current" label Linus because I was not previously aware of any tie up between Linus and Warners.But after some determined googling I found:-
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:v3T4cDZfBpEJ:www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/miscellaneous-retail-retail-stores-not/4401918-1.html+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
which (cached) page confirms
"Linus Entertainment Inc., the new Toronto-based label founded by Canadian music vet Geoff Kulawick, has signed with Warner Music for Canadian distribution. President/CEO Kulawick formed the label in January after resigning as head of A&R at Virgin/EMI Music Canada. Linus was initially thought to have been affiliated with EMI (Bulletin, Dec. 14, 2000)."
Incidentally the GL Artist's page on the Linus website still has that superb Inspiration Lady video embedded. plus Linus themselves uploaded it to YouTube as one of the 19 videos there on their own channel

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Borderstone

First to Rob,thanks for the reply and the compliment on my topic.

John,thanks for the link. It's pretty weird how life or "the biz" works isn't it? He left Warner becuase he had honored his contract (and maybe other reasons) and now he's back.

it's like that line in Godfather 3 :
"Just when I think I'm out,they pull right back in again!" LOL!!

I'm sure more people out there have the "skinny" on whether he talked with others too,I',, be reading.

I wonder if he ever considered "Def Jam" ?? LOL!!!