banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-02-2000, 11:14 PM   #1
CLEMENTine

I was reading the Red Shea thread and found myself getting really annoyed. Why do people have to put down Terry Clements in order to praise Red? I think the notion that Red was better guiarist then Terry, is complete and utter bullshit. Terry is the one who is underrated and under appreciated. For anyone who thinks that Gord's songs would be stronger if Red had done them instead of Terry, I suggest you listen to Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...Terry's guitar in that is stunning and send's shivers down one's spine. He really added something to that song that I don't think anyone else would have been able to. Yes, he's understated in many songs, that's how Gord wants it, and it would be nice if he were allowed to cut lose, but that doesn't negate the fact that Terry is every bit as good of a guitarist as Red. Listen to his solos on Dream Street Rose and Shadows...brilliant. Quit putting him down to make a point about Red, yes Red was great, but show some respect to a wonderful guitarist who has loyaly stayed with Gord for almost three decades!
Old 04-02-2000, 11:14 PM   #2
CLEMENTine

I was reading the Red Shea thread and found myself getting really annoyed. Why do people have to put down Terry Clements in order to praise Red? I think the notion that Red was better guiarist then Terry, is complete and utter bullshit. Terry is the one who is underrated and under appreciated. For anyone who thinks that Gord's songs would be stronger if Red had done them instead of Terry, I suggest you listen to Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...Terry's guitar in that is stunning and send's shivers down one's spine. He really added something to that song that I don't think anyone else would have been able to. Yes, he's understated in many songs, that's how Gord wants it, and it would be nice if he were allowed to cut lose, but that doesn't negate the fact that Terry is every bit as good of a guitarist as Red. Listen to his solos on Dream Street Rose and Shadows...brilliant. Quit putting him down to make a point about Red, yes Red was great, but show some respect to a wonderful guitarist who has loyaly stayed with Gord for almost three decades!
Old 04-04-2000, 07:13 AM   #3
Gord

I will tend to agree, has anyone seen Terry do magic with the acoustic on Ghosts of Cape Horn in concert? Mind boggling he can make it sound like a mandolin! Growing up listening to various GL tunes, it was very difficult for me to figure out who was playing Gord or Terry. Took about 3 concerts for me to sit at home and visualize who is doing what. Additionally have any of you heard Terry speak? If not he has this deep booming voice not unlike Darth Vader and I guess it is him doing background vocals on many of the recordings the last 30 years.
Old 04-04-2000, 10:11 AM   #4
chris

I'd like to pass on this anecdote about TC. At a concert at which we were going to meet Gl afterwards, my sister and I each took something for an autograph. I took the book from songbook and my sister in a rush to get out of the house took disc 2 from songbook. Anyway at the reception, we each got our autographs from GL (which was really great, needless to say) and then as he was mobbed by the crowd we found the band and spent time meeting and talking to them. TC was very nice (as each of them were) and signed my book on that middle picture where the band is standing to the left and right of GL. He put is signature right up his arm. Then my sister handed him the jewel case for disc 2, open to the front inside which has a representation of the 45 If You Could Read My Mind. TC took it and very carefully appeared to sign his autograph and handed it back to my sister. She looked at it and then with a real strange look on her face looked at me and then TC. TC was looking at us with a big smile on his face. She handed it to me and said - look what he wrote. He had written in very small, neat printing: Red Shea. I started to laugh, and he just smiled even more and said but I didn't play on that album. We laughed again and all agreed that he could sign since he plays the song all the time. After he signed his autograph, he apologized for messing up the photo. We told him not to worry as it was now very special to us.

And you're right Gord, he does have a terrific speaking voice and a great smile.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL

[This message has been edited by chris (edited April 04, 2000).]
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2000, 03:19 AM   #5
Bill

Just my opinion. I think Terry is a Master at guitar. And a very sweet guy. I saw him last year and someone asked him to autograph the "Summer Side of Life" album. He just laughed and said, "I wasn't on that one." But then he gave that little smile of his and said, "But I can sign Shea's name if you like," He does not feel threatened by Red Shea at all. Terry is a wonderful person. Sorry. Just had to say that.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 06:53 PM   #6
Rose

I have to agree that Terry plays a mean guitar, and also he is a very sweet guy, his playing sends chills all over me to, I told him at the last concert I was at that he played a beautiful guitar, he smiled and said thank you, a very humble person.

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 10:10 PM   #7
sundownbuff

We did not get to see Terry after the concert at the Majestic. He did not come out or perhaps he left by another door. My question is why does he sit and play a guitar. I have never seen him stand up to play. It really doesn't matter, but I wondered why. He plays a beautiful lead guitar.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2000, 03:35 PM   #8
Rebecca

With all due respect to Red Shea, Terry Clements is the God of guitar playing.
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2000, 05:32 AM   #9
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by Rebecca:
With all due respect to Red Shea, Terry Clements is the God of guitar playing.

YES...Finally someone who understands!!! Thank You Rebecca!!
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2000, 03:55 PM   #10
RumNCoke

My question is why does he sit and play a guitar. I have never seen him stand up to play. It really doesn't matter, but I wondered why. He plays a beautiful lead guitar.[/B][/QUOTE]

I think Gordon might prefer Terry sitting down when he plays because he's so much taller then Gord. I think Terry's height exeeds Gord's by perhaps as much as six inches, and Gordon probably would rather not have one of his side men towering over him. Rick Hayes, the bass player is tall too,perhaps as tall as Terry and yes he doesstand but he'sin the backround so its not as noticable as it would be if Terry Clements was standing up because he's much more towards in the front. Not counting Gord, I think Terry's probably the most in the spotlight of any of the guys in the band.
Old 08-23-2000, 05:18 PM   #11
Sheila Ann

OK, how tall is he? When he came on stage at Wolftrap, my only time seeing him live, the first words out of my mouth were, "He's taller than I expected!" For all these years I've just assumed he was in the 5'5" to 5'6" range. Was I wrong? Or were my eyes playing tricks on me that night? Just wondering.
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2000, 08:22 PM   #12
Sheila Ann

midnightmisty,
Sorry...was referring to Gordon.
Sheila Ann
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2000, 11:07 PM   #13
LightningBug

Lightfoot is about 5'8. Clements stand about 6'2 or 6'3.
Old 08-30-2000, 10:25 AM   #14
Sundreme@aol.com

Nothing really new to say...Just thought this thread needed to be back at the top of the list..(-:

Erica
(BTW, Did I ever mention, that I am kind of fond of Terry? Can't really recall if I ever brought it up)

Old 08-30-2000, 10:20 PM   #15
Rebecca

How old is Terry Clements, anyway?
Old 08-31-2000, 12:25 AM   #16
Sundreme

How old is Terry Clements, anyway?

He's 53.
Old 09-04-2000, 03:51 PM   #17
Rebecca

Did you hear that poor Terry was recently bitten by a scorpion?
Old 09-04-2000, 07:43 PM   #18
Sundreme

Did you hear that poor Terry was recently bitten by a scorpion?

Yes, I did! The poor thing! That can be very serious and make someone quite ill. At the very least, he had to have been in a great deal of pain. Many others might have just said they couldn't play. But like a true professional, he went on when he was supposed to and I've not heard of a single show that was cancelled or postponed.
That's what you call a pro and someone who cares about what he does. I just hope he's feeling better by now.
Erica
Old 09-05-2000, 01:13 AM   #19
sundownbuff

I talked to Terry in San Diego. He seemed in very good health. I talked to him about how people considered him a great guitarist and he seemed rather surprised. He played exceptionally well in San Diego. Old Dan's Record, CRT and the Watchman were breathtaking.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 07:43 PM   #20
joveski

Well, I haven't met these guys, but from the albums, I'd prefer Terry. Another thing to note, is that most of Red's lead work is acoustic, and Terry's is electric. It could be a matter of what style you prefer. Red did some really good acoustic leads, but listen to Terry from Summertime Dream through to Salute. They're simple, yet compelling leads. I personally love hangdod hotel room, dream street rose, and a lot more livinm to do. BTW, what's old Red up to these days???
And, does anyone know exactly what songs Red played lead in Endless Wire?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 06:37 PM   #21
Rebecca

I don't really have anything to contribute regarding Terry at the moment, but I'm typing this as a favor to Erica, who likes to see this thread near the top.
Old 09-08-2000, 06:48 PM   #22
bjorn

I don't really have anything to contribute regarding Terry at the moment, but I'm typing this as a favor to Erica, who likes to see this thread near the top.

And I do appreciate it!
Thanks Rebecca, for putting Terry back on top! That's just where I like to see him!
Erica
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 06:48 PM   #23
Sundreme

And I do appreciate it!
Thanks Rebecca, for putting Terry back on top! That's just where I like to see him!
Erica
Old 09-10-2000, 01:22 AM   #24
Rebecca

The latest word, according to Barry Harvey, is that Terry is feeling fine.
Old 09-11-2000, 10:12 AM   #25
Sundreme@aol.com

quote:Originally posted by midnightmisty:
No Fear, Erica!

This topic will keep on going (near the top)
because ALOT of us and admire, respect and just plain adore Terry with hearts a flutter!
He's quite a "complete package", wouldn't you
say? I somehow think you will! (tee hee...)

midnightmisty

Misty, I couldn't agree more! He is some package! Speaking of package, its certainly appropriate to use that analogy today. Its my birthday, and he'd sure make a package I wouldn't mind seeing presented and wrapped all pretty!
Erica