banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
misstori1958

OK, we are all fans but the new albums is not very good. Patchy in parts, lyrically inferior and overall disappointing.
Well done to the band, though.
Discuss and rip off my head.
misstori1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
peterpeter

OK, we are all fans but the new albums is not very good. Patchy in parts, lyrically inferior and overall disappointing.
Well done to the band, though.
Discuss and rip off my head.
peterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
kie miskelly

WELL, having played this album virtually non-stop for two weeks I have to say... you're TOTALLY WRONG. This album stands up with his best work, there are no filler tracks here but there are certainly songs which could in time end up as Lightfoot standards, Harmony, Shellfish, End of All Time and Sometimes I Wish to name a few. One of the joys of this album is that after one play you're hooked.. the hooks are so great you can virtually singalong word for word with Gord after just one listen... which is what I found after my first listen of The No Hotel and No Mistake About It and you'll see what I mean. No, this is an exceptional album, on a par with Don Quixote, Endless Wire, Summertime Dream and East of Midnight. And the great man hasn't lost his writing touch, these songs, especially Shellfish, can hit you deep in your soul if you listen properly. To have produce an album of this quality after all the guy has been through I for one take my hat off to him and will carry on playing Harmony till the cows come home....
Old 07-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
kie miskelly

WELL, having played this album virtually non-stop for two weeks I have to say... you're TOTALLY WRONG. This album stands up with his best work, there are no filler tracks here but there are certainly songs which could in time end up as Lightfoot standards, Harmony, Shellfish, End of All Time and Sometimes I Wish to name a few. One of the joys of this album is that after one play you're hooked.. the hooks are so great you can virtually singalong word for word with Gord after just one listen... which is what I found after my first listen of The No Hotel and No Mistake About It and you'll see what I mean. No, this is an exceptional album, on a par with Don Quixote, Endless Wire, Summertime Dream and East of Midnight. And the great man hasn't lost his writing touch, these songs, especially Shellfish, can hit you deep in your soul if you listen properly. To have produce an album of this quality after all the guy has been through I for one take my hat off to him and will carry on playing Harmony till the cows come home....
Old 07-11-2004, 03:32 PM   #5
Tyler

I don't know about you, but we are all fans here. Maybe you need a hearing test though.

EDITED TO CLARIFY THIS WAS DIRECTED TO PETERPETER.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited July 12, 2004).]
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
brink

I don't know about you, but we are all fans here. Maybe you need a hearing test though.

EDITED TO CLARIFY THIS WAS DIRECTED TO PETERPETER.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited July 12, 2004).]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
talbot10

I have to agree with Peterpeter. This album has really petered out. After the song "Harmony" (which I think is among Gord's best songs)the album goes steadily down hill in my humble opinion. It is at best a fair album. Glad it is out there but I am just trying to be honest about it.
bill
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #8
DMD3

I didn't dare start a topic like this but peterpeter you are quite right. But hopefully his next album will be better. Much better...
Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #9
DMD3

I didn't dare start a topic like this but peterpeter you are quite right. But hopefully his next album will be better. Much better...
Old 07-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
stationmaster

What's wrong with you people! Have you all lost your minds? This is possibly the best album released yet! Most definitely the best of the last four since "SALUTE". How can you all talk positively in one thread and turn around in this one. Turn-coats, traitors, non-believers! FREE ON-LINE HEARING TESTS TO ALL OF YOU! (except kie miskelly)
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #11
violet Blue Horse

Here, let me help - WHHHHAAAPPPPPPPPP!!! upside the head. There. Ye'alls hearing improved yet?

I have to second stationmaster. What is with you people.

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:
What's wrong with you people! Have you all lost your minds? This is possibly the best album released yet! Most definitely the best of the last four since "SALUTE". How can you all talk positively in one thread and turn around in this one. Turn-coats, traitors, non-believers! FREE ON-LINE HEARING TESTS TO ALL OF YOU! (except kie miskelly)

Old 07-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #12
violet Blue Horse

Here, let me help - WHHHHAAAPPPPPPPPP!!! upside the head. There. Ye'alls hearing improved yet?

I have to second stationmaster. What is with you people.

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:

Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
Tyler

Whoa wait a minute, I edited my first response-I was not agreeing with peterpeter. I think this is a fantastic CD and the more I listen the more I love it. I think the free hearing test is a great idea, right after the whap.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 AM   #14
brink

Whoa wait a minute, I edited my first response-I was not agreeing with peterpeter. I think this is a fantastic CD and the more I listen the more I love it. I think the free hearing test is a great idea, right after the whap.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #15
stationmaster

Sorry brink, I was referring to the "THREE BLIND(and hearing impaired)MICE"
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 AM   #16
Borderstone

Hold the phone folks! Can no one see this is a deliberate attempt to make us lash out? C'mon! First of all,why would someone join a G.L. website and immediatley put up something like that?

Also,isn't it funny DMD3 is the only one really agreeing with him? I know Douglas has mentioned he's not all that into the CD but it just makes me feel that something qutie sneaky is going on here.

I'm not going to "blast" peterpeter but I will say what I always do in this kind of situation. To each his or her own. I love the CD,he or she doesn't. Oh,well! If P.P. is trying to start something,I will not take part. Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 AM   #17
Janice

I have no idea who PeterPeter is, but there really isn't anything started if folks can just accept that one can be a fan and still not think this is a great album. There is nothing wrong in discussing differing points of view. No one is condemning those who feel it is "his best work ever" and there is no reason to put down those of us who don't feel the same way. And for the record, my hearing is just fine.

I do, however, know Bill (Talbot10), so I know that his opinion isn't DMD3 playing games. I also know that he is a great Lightfoot admirer so definitely didn't chime in just to cause waves.

I must admit I was disappointed when I first heard the CD. After reading all the comments here I was expecting something far different - something more "unplugged" in style, something truly exceptional. Unfortunately, to me, the truly exceptional part of the CD is the story of how it came to be. There are only a couple of songs that I care for (Sorry Bill, the title song isn't one of them - although I know a lot of folks who agree with you in choosing that one as their favorite)

That said, I'm glad I bought it but I'm sure when I need a Lightfoot fix, it won't be the CD I reach for.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:34 AM   #18
misstori1958

I just wanted to say what I felt about the album. Lighten up ...
About me: Have follwed GL's career actively since 1981 when I lived in Toronto.
I have read all postings over the last year or so and thought it would be nice for all you to hear a new voice and a new opinion.
There are some outstanding songs on the new album, granted but the overall quality of songs is below par. Had GL not fallen ill we all would have had the pleasure of listening to a different set of songs. Maybe 3 or 4 from Harmony would have made the cut.
Off to post some 'insulting' remarks on the Donny Osmond site now ...
You guys ...
misstori1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:34 AM   #19
peterpeter

I just wanted to say what I felt about the album. Lighten up ...
About me: Have follwed GL's career actively since 1981 when I lived in Toronto.
I have read all postings over the last year or so and thought it would be nice for all you to hear a new voice and a new opinion.
There are some outstanding songs on the new album, granted but the overall quality of songs is below par. Had GL not fallen ill we all would have had the pleasure of listening to a different set of songs. Maybe 3 or 4 from Harmony would have made the cut.
Off to post some 'insulting' remarks on the Donny Osmond site now ...
You guys ...
peterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #20
mtheeb

I've never hestitated to be critical of Lightfoot and I've disparaged certain aspects of Harmony, but I love this album and (after eight weeks now) I continue to get excited about putting it on the "turntable" and I did recently vote it "most flawless" in its own inspired way.

So, yeah, it's a great one.
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #21
Restless

I've never hestitated to be critical of Lightfoot and I've disparaged certain aspects of Harmony, but I love this album and (after eight weeks now) I continue to get excited about putting it on the "turntable" and I did recently vote it "most flawless" in its own inspired way.

Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #22
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Restless:

Yep, I agree with you, Restless. I play it all the time and am still trying to settle on my real fave track. 'Shellfish' is probably going to win in the end although I really like them all.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #23
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Also,isn't it funny DMD3 is the only one really agreeing with him? I know Douglas has mentioned he's not all that into the CD but it just makes me feel that something qutie sneaky is going on here.

Nothing sneaky is going on here.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #24
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Nothing sneaky is going on here.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #25
Javern

I think Harmony is good but certainly not Gord's best work. I'll always be a fan and buy every cd he makes.
Javern is offline   Reply With Quote