banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2004, 05:04 AM   #1
steve_libertine

Hi
I have fallen in love with 'If You Could Read My Mind'.
I am quite young... have never heard of Gordon Lightfoot, but would love to know where to start as I try to uncover more.
For example, I am a Smiths expert, and if someone was wanting to investigate the Smiths I would guide them to The Queen is Dead.
It's like Dylan but even more so.... there is so much that you just don't know where to begin!
Any ideas?
Steve_libertine
Old 05-22-2004, 05:04 AM   #2
steve_libertine

Hi
I am quite young... have never heard of Gordon Lightfoot, but would love to know where to start as I try to uncover more.
For example, I am a Smiths expert, and if someone was wanting to investigate the Smiths I would guide them to The Queen is Dead.
It's like Dylan but even more so.... there is so much that you just don't know where to begin!
Any ideas?
Steve_libertine
Old 05-22-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Gord

Start with the CD " Summertime Dream"
Old 05-22-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
Gord

Start with the CD " Summertime Dream"
Old 05-22-2004, 06:32 AM   #5
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

steve,

Run out and get Don Quixote and the boxed set named SONGBOOK. They should start you off nicely. Then follow up with the new CD Harmony ASAP. Have fun.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by steve_libertine:
Hi
Any ideas?
Steve_libertine

Gord put out a new greatest hits compilation a couple of years ago, called Complete Greatest Hits. That would be the place for you to start. If you like what you hear, you might as well start at the beginning with The United Artists Collection, a compilation of his 1960s albums. Then start at the beginning of his Warner catalog, or go with his boxed set, Songbook.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
DMD3

I just wouldn't make Salute the 1st album I got, the albums isn't bad but does not make a good 1st impression of GL.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
DMD3

I just wouldn't make Salute the 1st album I got, the albums isn't bad but does not make a good 1st impression of GL.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Janice

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:

Except for Tattoo
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

there is so much that you just don't know where to begin!
Any ideas?
Steve_libertine
HI Steve
The perceived wisdom of countless experienced Lightheads is that if you really like Gord's music you will eventually aim to acquire all of his albums (as your finances allow of course). Whilst every album has its gems and there is no album that anyone would not recommend to you, the advice to start with the magnificent albeit pricey songbook 4-CD box-set is very sound.
However I have said here before though that to really appreciate his prodigious output it is essential to get the first 5 albums as issued by United Artists. I put up an illustrated guide which was an answer to another newbie in your position
on how to do that in an earlier Topic: "Hmmm...which one to buy first?" at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002090.html
and a there is earlier posting by me at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001572.html
OK I am biased since when I bought my very first album waaaaaaaaaay back in pre-history (1966) there was a choice of only the original ("Lightfoot") album,and I did not know for another thirty-plus years that there had been even earlier issues:-
The Two Tones at the Village Corner; the AME Early Lightfoot; the WB-Seven Arts demos and The Canadian Talent Library albums all limited issue and/or no longer generally available unless you keep a sharp eye out on e-bay
I hope this helps you
How exciting to have all these wonderful treats to discover!!
We are all green with envy

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited May 22, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

there is so much that you just don't know where to begin!
Any ideas?
Steve_libertine
HI Steve
The perceived wisdom of countless experienced Lightheads is that if you really like Gord's music you will eventually aim to acquire all of his albums (as your finances allow of course). Whilst every album has its gems and there is no album that anyone would not recommend to you, the advice to start with the magnificent albeit pricey songbook 4-CD box-set is very sound.
However I have said here before though that to really appreciate his prodigious output it is essential to get the first 5 albums as issued by United Artists. I put up an illustrated guide which was an answer to another newbie in your position
on how to do that in an earlier Topic: "Hmmm...which one to buy first?" at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002090.html
and a there is earlier posting by me at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001572.html
OK I am biased since when I bought my very first album waaaaaaaaaay back in pre-history (1966) there was a choice of only the original ("Lightfoot") album,and I did not know for another thirty-plus years that there had been even earlier issues:-
The Two Tones at the Village Corner; the AME Early Lightfoot; the WB-Seven Arts demos and The Canadian Talent Library albums all limited issue and/or no longer generally available unless you keep a sharp eye out on e-bay
I hope this helps you
How exciting to have all these wonderful treats to discover!!
We are all green with envy

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited May 22, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
joveski

welcome along steve!. Songbook would be a good place to start.

if yuo're looking for general info about gordon:
http://www.lightfoot.ca

if you wanna more about dylan, ask me
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:52 AM   #13
Borderstone

Hi Steve! Welcome aboard! I agree so far with my Lightfoot Board Buddies! Any album from 1966 to 1976 would be an excellent place to start.
As said,Songbook (if you've got $60.00 to afford it) is A+ also,with 88 tracks,you can't miss! I've had mine for 3 years this coming August.
Myself,I started with Sundown,because i was mainly in to his hits more than his music. (Boy was I stupid! )
After acquring 4 more albums,I took a chance and got Songbook and then a year later,saw Gordon live!
Those last two factors cemented my opinion of his music and he's #1 in my choice for favorite male artist too listen to. ...and I never tire of it! Good luck!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:04 AM   #14
Thaler

I too was hooked from his first UA album. While the songs and his voice are top rate, the recording of those albums was not, engineering wise....if that was technically remedied in the box set, I don't know. I own either on LP or CD all of Lightfoot's work, but in my view his apex was during that string of albums Don Quixote, Summertime Dream, Old Dan's Record, and If You Could Read My Mind (originally called Sit Down Young Stranger)....any of those 4 will be a wonderful intro
Barry (I agree to stay away, for now, from East of Midnite and the latter works....I would say the same for Dylan, Joni, Paul Simon, James Taylor.......the drop in talent and success may not have been precipitous, but I do believe the best of their work was given in the beginning or middle of their careers........not starting another thread here, but not many soloists/groups get better after an established history, with the exception of the Beatles in my view,which was part of the loss we felt in their early demise.....some felt the drop had already occurred with Let it Be, but that was not my opinion............)
PPS getting back to Gord, I usually stay away from recommending If You Could Read My Mind first since I think many feel the title song 'drove' the album, but the balance of that work is tremendous....so i would probably go there...
Barry
Thaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:04 AM   #15
Baz

Send a message via ICQ to Baz

I too was hooked from his first UA album. While the songs and his voice are top rate, the recording of those albums was not, engineering wise....if that was technically remedied in the box set, I don't know. I own either on LP or CD all of Lightfoot's work, but in my view his apex was during that string of albums Don Quixote, Summertime Dream, Old Dan's Record, and If You Could Read My Mind (originally called Sit Down Young Stranger)....any of those 4 will be a wonderful intro
Barry (I agree to stay away, for now, from East of Midnite and the latter works....I would say the same for Dylan, Joni, Paul Simon, James Taylor.......the drop in talent and success may not have been precipitous, but I do believe the best of their work was given in the beginning or middle of their careers........not starting another thread here, but not many soloists/groups get better after an established history, with the exception of the Beatles in my view,which was part of the loss we felt in their early demise.....some felt the drop had already occurred with Let it Be, but that was not my opinion............)
PPS getting back to Gord, I usually stay away from recommending If You Could Read My Mind first since I think many feel the title song 'drove' the album, but the balance of that work is tremendous....so i would probably go there...
Barry
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:06 AM   #16
Thaler

oops, did you mean you fell in love with the song or the album???...I took it as the song....if you have that album, go with the rest of those Reprise albums I mentioned.....
Barry
Thaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:06 AM   #17
Baz

Send a message via ICQ to Baz

oops, did you mean you fell in love with the song or the album???...I took it as the song....if you have that album, go with the rest of those Reprise albums I mentioned.....
Barry
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #18
JOHN

heck throw down the 40 bucks and buy Songwriter
JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #19
pirateNC

heck throw down the 40 bucks and buy Songwriter
pirateNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #20
TheCromulentChipster

You can go to Overstock and get all his stuff for under $10. I fell in love with IYCRMM first too and I actually went ahead and got the boxed set, but I think Don Quixote or Sundown or Shadows are great places to head next. Also, don't be afraid to get his Complete Greatest Hits. No shame there because they're all great songs. Welcome aboard the Gord!
TheCromulentChipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #21
Big Blue

You can go to Overstock and get all his stuff for under $10. I fell in love with IYCRMM first too and I actually went ahead and got the boxed set, but I think Don Quixote or Sundown or Shadows are great places to head next. Also, don't be afraid to get his Complete Greatest Hits. No shame there because they're all great songs. Welcome aboard the Gord!
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:19 AM   #22
TheCromulentChipster

Here's the link: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....10&PAGE=ENDECA

Also check out Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate. If you like Dylan, the Smiths and Lightfoot, you're sure to love him!
TheCromulentChipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:19 AM   #23
Big Blue

Here's the link: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....10&PAGE=ENDECA

Also check out Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate. If you like Dylan, the Smiths and Lightfoot, you're sure to love him!
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #24
Boat House AKA member

Send a message via ICQ to Boat House AKA member

Just to give my 2 cents, I was hooked when I got Summer Side of Life. I still feel it is his best closely followed by Shadows. Sundown certainly had his best commercial success overall and is very good, and Don Quixote is excellent and so is Summertime Dream and......oh heck you'll end up getting all of them
Boat House AKA member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #25
Kilgore

Just to give my 2 cents, I was hooked when I got Summer Side of Life. I still feel it is his best closely followed by Shadows. Sundown certainly had his best commercial success overall and is very good, and Don Quixote is excellent and so is Summertime Dream and......oh heck you'll end up getting all of them
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote