banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
podunklander

Default Osprey?

Spotted what I believe to be an Osprey. Almost missed seeing him and was able to sneak back into the house to grab my camera. I tried to step quietly through the snow to get a little closer -but scared him off but that's when I saw the all-light underbelly and wingspan (about 3')....but seemed to be to broad to be an Osprey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Osprey 2.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	2491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Osprey.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2492  
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
timetraveler

Default Re: Osprey?

Yeah, it does appear to be some sort of a raptor. Around here, we have several species of them, one of which is a kind of hawk whose silhouette closely resembles what you got a picture of.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
podunklander

I did ID this..falcon, a Northern Harrier. My field guide of hawks in the NE has b/w sketches so I had to do some online searches. I thought it was too far inland and not enough white to be an Osprey. I was just in awe of the size and since it swooped down and circled just @30' from me, I did get a good look at the underbelly but it still happened so quickly.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
fezo

Mighty cool. When we get a big bird in these parts it's likely to be a turkey vulture.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Peter Bro10

There is something awesome about birds... and especially the big ones.
I live in town, so I don't hear them much, but the Great Horned Owls make the most eerie sound at night! And then watch the huge silhouette of the bird as it flies off. Very cool indeed!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
4LaneStudios

I was fortunate to see a pair of Osprey last May while visiting family in Georgian Bay. The male started the alarm call when he spotted us. The female had been sitting on a twig nest on top of a wooden platform that had been built for them, but decided to get a closer look at us. It was incredible to see one so close! We stayed very still until she settled back on the nest, and then we went back the way we came and left them alone. But, I did get a couple of pictures.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Patti

Pam, I think that was so sweet of that bird to make those windchimes ring for you. That was something special.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Patti

I should tell my owl story. Once, at about this time of year, back in 2002 or 2003, I was thinking about snowy owls and how I would love to see one in the wild and so I prayed to God to see one. Just a few days later, I was driving to some meeting, and I didn't want to be too early, and the was no traffic so I was driving slowly. All of the sudden there was a huge, beautiful snowy owl flying right along side of the passenger window, and she looked right in at me in a nice hello way. I can't describe the feeling, it was just so 'awe and beautiful'.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
I should tell my owl story. Once, at about this time of year, back in 2002 or 2003, I was thinking about snowy owls and how I would love to see one in the wild and so I prayed to God to see one. Just a few days later, I was driving to some meeting, and I didn't want to be too early, and the was no traffic so I was driving slowly. All of the sudden there was a huge, beautiful snowy owl flying right along side of the passenger window, and she looked right in at me in a nice hello way. I can't describe the feeling, it was just so 'awe and beautiful'.
And there are folks out there who don't believe in the power of prayer. I must say that that was a most awesome answer to yours.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
luv4lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
And there are folks out there who don't believe in the power of prayer. I must say that that was a most awesome answer to yours.
Yes, it was. Thank you timetraveler.

Patti
luv4lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote