banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
RM

Default Tim Hortons

For those like myself who had never heard of the Tim Hortons enterprise until participating in this forum, you can catch up to speed by viewing this well-done and informative segment from CBS' "Sunday Morning" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ixad7U0eSo
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Tim Hortons

Amazing Ron
your post reminded me of something I vaguely heard on New York's continuous news/travel/sports/weather/business radio statiion 1010 WINS
I thought I heard Tim Hortons mentioned the other morning so spurred by your post I Googled for news items and found
http://retailtrafficmag.com/manageme...new-york-0722/
Sure enough a local (New York)franchisee having fallen out big time with the Dunkin Donuts head office has given them the finger or boot and switched his 12 outlets to Tim's!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
charlene

I mentioned the many new Tim's in Manhattan in another post and have heard Tims is going to be opening a lot more shops on the east coast. I was at my local Tim's 3 times in the last two days..drinking decaf double doubles and enjoying a lovely flaky chocolate danish..
mmm mmm good.
Hope u get a chance to enjoy one close to home Sir John!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
charlene

I wish they still served the chili in the 'bread' bowls tho...
Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
podunklander

That was fun to watch !!!

I stopped in last week for some bottles of water (the manager wasn't there, so I couldn't buy a case ) and then I just HAD to have the turkey club...even though I had just scooted over from McDonald's for a snack wrap. Then I saw the sign hanging from the ceiling...blueberry donuts!!! mmmmmmmm

As much as I love TH's, I really miss the Bess Eaton donut shop (raspberry jelly-filled light corn muffins ). The owner was awesome and whenever I stopped in he'd special decorate donuts and muffins for me . And we always chatted about hiking. The staff was soooo fun and friendly! We were always horsing around from the time I'd pull up to place my order. Which had all started that one morning when I ordered a small pizza with black olives and onions without even realizing I had .

Glad to have a TH's nearby and I buy my Canadian cuz one of the big cans of coffee and gift certificates every XMas.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Only took 1 visit in Hamilton a few years ago to get me hooked, I hope he does well here.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
podunklander

Over the weekend one of the newspapers here had an article about TH's new NY stores and mentioned a Canadian living in NYC, who has been driving to the TH's in Bridgeport, Connecticut to get his fix!

Guess I'm lucky there's one less than 10 miles from here! Maybe I'll scoot over to get my case of water this week So far it's the only bottled spring water I've had that actually tastes like water should!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
charlene

I read about that guy!
I don't know what water Tim's sells (I don't buy bottled water due to the pollution factor of mfg. bottles and bottles in dumps etc. and the environmental cost of getting the water, bottling it, transporting it etc.) but it could be just plain old tap water that's been ionized or whatever they do to it. Lots of brands of bottled water do that.
Check it out, you might save yourself some money on water and gas..(per gallon, water is much more expensive to buy than gas!)
Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I read about that guy!
I don't know what water Tim's sells (I don't buy bottled water due to the pollution factor of mfg. bottles and bottles in dumps etc. and the environmental cost of getting the water, bottling it, transporting it etc.) but it could be just plain old tap water that's been ionized or whatever they do to it. Lots of brands of bottled water do that.
Check it out, you might save yourself some money on water and gas..(per gallon, water is much more expensive to buy than gas!)

I have well water...but this area has high iron which isn't oo tasty. And the pipes in this house are yucky! There's a town well where we can fill up for .50...but it's the same water out of my tap (minus the yucky pipes). There's also a local bottler (Village Springs)...but it's all the same water again, with the high iron. The well water at my friend's house in the next town is much better and a newer artisian well (is her landlord's main business) so I fill up containers when I go there.

There's just nothing like the sweet taste of mountain spring water and the free sources I've gone to are long capped off (because they disn't want to keep having to monitor for bacteria). I miss that and washing my face and hair. Don't even need soap/shampoo because the minerals clean so much better.

And I reuse the plastic bottle then toss them in the recycling bin. I see on my bottle from TH that there's a deposit/return in Maine only. ok so according to the label, the natural spring water source is Hillsburgh, Erin, On, CA.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
fezo

Was trying the Tim Horton's site and couldn't get the locator working. I'm betting the nearest one to the house is one of the NYC ones. Another thing I'll have to do up in Connecticut along with duck pins. But I guess not drinking tap water...
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
While taking a quick glance the other day they seemed to be mostly located around the Great Lakes areas. Could be wrong - it was an extremely quick look.
yeah there are quite a concentration in that region! A little more South into OH too (though definetly there are more Bob Evan's).

There are over a dozen in Southern New England!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Was trying the Tim Horton's site and couldn't get the locator working. I'm betting the nearest one to the house is one of the NYC ones. Another thing I'll have to do up in Connecticut along with duck pins. But I guess not drinking tap water...
None in NJ . yeah I guess I don't have it so bad here afterall. TH's, duckpin and even a drive-in theatre
Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
fezo

I think they locate the US ones where they're likely to have a lot of Canadians - like upstate New York.

Of course with that logic Wildwood, NJ should have one.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
podunklander

Quote:
I think they locate the US ones where they're likely to have a lot of Canadians - like upstate New York.

Of course with that logic Wildwood, NJ should have one.
Must be like Little Canada in Southbridge, Ma should have one there!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

There are Tim Horton's all over Northern Maine. They've been around now for nearly 10 years and have pretty much put all the other donut places out of business.

Cathy
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
podunklander

Just made me think to look for a TH's in lower ME...where I'll be vacationing for the next week. Got lucky there's one in Sanford, next town over
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
podunklander

Never did stop into TH's when I was up north -my friend's introduced me to the new kid in town...I'm hooked !

http://www.aromajoes.com/
Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
fezo

Way cool! We're likely heading up to New Hampshire and Maine around the 24th. There's one in Dover which is next door to the folks we'd be visiting. my brother is in Portland and that's close to one as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #19
podunklander

Quote:
Way cool! We're likely heading up to New Hampshire and Maine around the 24th. There's one in Dover which is next door to the folks we'd be visiting. my brother is in Portland and that's close to one as well.
Fair warning about the donuts though -the one I got was stale ! Glad to know you're getting up there for a vacation ! Let me know if you want to stop by here for some duckpins!!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
fezo

I was waiting for the duckpins call.....

I'm trying to work it into things. May introduce the younger kids to duckpins and candlepins on the same trip. The older ones have played duckpins but may not remember it. At best only one of them will be coming with us anyway.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
charlene

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/677495

Success of coffee, ice cream combo opens the door for more U.S. stores

Tim hortons turns in `robust' U.S. performance but may hike prices in Canada to hit year-end goals

Aug 07, 2009 04:30 AM

Dana Flavelle
Business Reporter
Cheap coffee and super-premium ice cream. Who would have thought that would be a match made in heaven?

The marriage of Tim Hortons Inc. and Cold Stone Creamery, the United States' sixth-largest ice cream vendor, is going so well that the coffee and doughnut chain says it may open more than the 50 stores it planned for this year.

The partnership, announced last February, is one of the reasons Hortons' business is picking up in the U.S., where the Canadian icon faces better-known rivals.

The company as a whole managed to carve out moderately higher profits and sales, despite an economic downturn and stiffer competition in Canada from second-ranked McDonalds Restaurants.

However, it cautioned that it may have to raise prices in Canada to meet its year-end goals.

"Nothing has been announced at this point," president and chief executive Don Schroeder said on a conference call with analysts.

Calling the company's U.S. performance "robust," Schroeder said it also reflected the introduction of new menu items, price discounting and the partnership with the Texas-based ice cream vendor.

The concept, in which the two restaurant chains sell each other's products, is also being tested in Canada, with half a dozen stores so far and another six in the works.

However, things aren't so rosy in Hortons' home market.

Canadian franchisees face an unusual combination of higher cost pressures and economically strained customers, Schroeder said, adding the company may increase prices in some regions.

The decision will depend partly on what happens to gas prices this fall as they have a direct impact on consumers' discretionary income, the company added.

Strong competition from McDonald's, which is forcing Hortons to use more price discounting, is hurting its Canadian performance, analyst Perry Caicco, of CIBC World Markets, noted in an earlier report.

Same-store sales, a key indicator of performance, grew 1.7 per cent in Canada, versus a 5.7 per cent hike in the year-earlier period.

They rose 3.3 per cent in the U.S., versus 3.1 per cent last year.

The results don't include the impact of Hortons' high-profile move into the Manhattan market, which occurred in July, after the quarter closed.

For the company as a whole, profit rose 3.7 per cent to $77.8 million, or 43 cents a share, in the latest three-month period. That result was driven partly by its higher U.S. performance.

Revenue rose 8.9 per cent to $556.1 million, the company said, as rent, royalties and distribution grew.

Systemwide sales, which include franchisees' sales, grew 5 per cent, excluding the effects of fluctuating exchange rates.

The company opened 25 new locations during the quarter, including 15 in Canada and 10 in the U.S.

Hortons took a $2.7 million hit on its operating income as it began reorganizing itself as a Canadian public company, after several years as a registered U.S. firm.

The company operates 2,939 restaurants in Canada and 536 in the U.S.

Cold Stone Creamery has 1,400 locations.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
podunklander

Quote:
I was waiting for the duckpins call.....

I'm trying to work it into things. May introduce the younger kids to duckpins and candlepins on the same trip. The older ones have played duckpins but may not remember it. At best only one of them will be coming with us anyway.
lol I should have all my duckpins in a row by then -will be fun !
Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #23
charlene

the IDEA guy behind Tim's has died:
http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servle...ory/Obituaries
Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
the IDEA guy behind Tim's has died:
http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servle...ory/Obituaries
nice find, char...enjoyed the read...yeah, the 5th Beatle (ie, the 3rd Tim's guy)

so i guess it's he who served Tim all those drinks...i don't think he should have lost too much sleep over it as with all the drinking and driving he did, his number was sure to come up...amazing that decades later many folks still don't see the ugly connection somehow
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
charlene

Tims at Fort Knos:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/world.../11386951.html
photo at link..

U.S. Soldiers line up at the new Fort Knox Tim Hortons outlet located on the U.S. military base in Kentucky. (Photo supplied by Tim Hortons) Tim Hortons' coffee is as good as gold.

Now the Canadian coffee giant has a restaurant secured inside the fort famous for guarding America's gold bullion.

The iconic doughnut chain announced today it had opened a restaurant at Fort Knox.

Open 24-hours a day, the Kentucky army facility's Tims will serve the 30,000 soldiers, relatives and civilians who live and work on the base.

U.S. civilians have already had a taste of Tim Hortons with 500 locations south of the border.

“Tim Hortons is privileged to serve at Fort Knox, one of the world’s most respected military bases,” David Clanachan, Tim Hortons Inc. chief operations officer for U.S. and International, stated in a press release today. “Our long-standing relationship with troops is expanding to include other international forces in Afghanistan, as well as American soldiers who already know Tim Hortons from their hometowns."

Seven Canadian military bases already have Tim Hortons and since 2006, British, American and Canadian troops have been able to chow down on Tim Hortons in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

The company even offers a special Afghanistan edition of Roll Up the Rim so soldiers can win free coffee, computers, cash and other prizes.