banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
xrickx

Default GL at Troy Music Hall (NY) Oct 8.

GL last played here 10 years ago (he informed the audience), we were there, but did not realize it was that long ago. It is a 1,200 seat, old wooden hall, with what I hear people say are perfect acoustics. We were in the balcony, but do to the small hall size, still had a great view. It was an enthusiastic crowd, a sold out show. The set list was almost identical what was posted a few day ago for Red Bank NJ. It was great to hear songs like Sea of Tranquility and Sweet Guenevere. Gord does have some issues reaching the high notes, and his vocal power seems a little diminished from when I last saw him 14 months ago, but I soon forgot about all that. He got a big standing ovation at the end and he looked very pleased. A great show!
xrickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: GL at Troy Music Hall (NY) Oct 8.

YAY! sound like a fabulous little venue...
Happy to hear you enjoyed a wonderful Lightfoot night..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Jenney

It is a great venue, I was surprised to hear it had been 10 years since he'd played it before. Seemed like a short time ago.
I had the huge pleasure of attending with Mark Mason, who some of you know. He's an old friend, and an extremely talented singer/songwrite who made a cd with the best band in the world, the Lightfoot band! All original songs, and all wonderful.
The hall is full of history, including the seats. Mark at one point announced that his historic a** was sore! They were not comfy, but all that was forgotten when the show started.
Unfortunatly, we had two fans behind us that were extremely enthusiastic. They had been talking before the show started and it was their first show. They were probably only in their early 20's, and were thrilled to be there. Then the singing started. And it was loud. Started right with the first few notes. Mark turned around and asked them not to sing, we were here to hear Gord. Oh Boy. That just got them going even more, loud talking behind us about what a jerk Mark was, lots of profanities, they were here to have a good time,.....on and on. That part quieted down, and I gave Mark an enormous amount of credit for not turning around and decking them!
They did continue to sing and talk the entire concert though. They even said the words before they were sung, then sang them. The singing wasn't bad, it was must softer, but I did want to ask them to pick an octave and stick with it. It was the needless talking that got me. Imagine someone talking through the gentle lyrics of Restless! I just tried to block it as we knew that asking them to stop would only make it worse.
All in all it was a good show, no big surprises on the set list.

Here is the set list:

Did She Mention My Name
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
Let It Ride
Spanish Moss/Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Intermission

Sweet Gunivere
Cotton Jenney
Restless
Home From the Forest
In My Fashion
Make Way For the Lady
Fine as Fine Can Be
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Baby Step Back
Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Encores
Song for a Winters Night
Old Dan's Records

This was my 101st concert. I have tickets already for 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 and 107.
Life is good.....
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post
Unfortunatly, we had two fans behind us that were extremely enthusiastic. They had been talking before the show started and it was their first show. They were probably only in their early 20's, and were thrilled to be there. Then the singing started. And it was loud.
Yet another 'yahoo' sighting..........
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post
The hall is full of history, including the seats. Mark at one point announced that his historic a** was sore!
that's a good line thanks for the chuckle, i needed it, a whack of inlaws and their rugrats are one way over for Canuck Thanksgiving today (agh, we just get the Monday off, not the Thurs Fri type thing you folk get next month)

great venue, unfortunate that you have twiddle dee and dumb behind you...i have similar tales to tell, i think many do...big congrats on the milestone, i've now seen a dozen, lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
charlene

Default TROY New York review

http://www.nippertown.com/2010/10/12...sic-hall-10810
Gordon Lightfoot @ Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, 10/8/10

The audience slowly settled into their seats as the buzz of chitchat slowly climbed and filled the Troy Saving Bank Music Hall all the way up past the second balcony and box seats. Practically all of the seats were filled, and the crowd’s anticipation for the star performer was almost at a boiling point.

There was no opening act – only the headliner and his band were playing that night. The lights flickered on and off. The stragglers n the lobby took their seats. Within minutes, the band walked out, followed by Gordon Lightfoot, who took center stage in the spotlight’s glare to the warm embrace of applause.

After the cheering died down, Lightfoot opened fire. From the start, his biggest ’70s hits took flight. The opening pairing of “Did She Mention My Name” and “Carefree Highway” shimmered, and the mesmerized crowd that filled the hall seemed to hang on every note.

Lightfoot’s performance in Troy was a testimonial to the fact that good music is indeed timeless. Although he hasn’t had a hit record since 1978, the iconic Canadian troubadour proved that he’s still an important singer-songwriter.

Lightfoot’s once booming baritone isn’t what it used to be. The years have shaved off most of his upper vocal register, and his trademark burr has deteriorated considerably. But it’s still an honest, penetrating voice. And when wrapped around his epic historical songs (“The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”) and deeply personal ballads (“If You Could Read My Mind”), it’s a voice that resonates with passion, too.

A month shy of his 73rd birthday, Lightfoot still had it together as a sparkling musician and a dashing performer, decked out in a bright blue blazer and a ultra-white shirt. He has become, through perseverance, an elder statesman of folk music. And judging by his Troy performance, he fits the role very well.

Review and photographs by Andrzej Pilarczyk

GORDON LIGHTFOOT SET LIST
Did She Mention My Name
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
Let It Ride
Spanish Moss/Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman’s Gone
Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
INTERMISSION
Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenney
Restless
Home From the Forest
In My Fashion
Make Way For the Lady
Fine as Fine Can Be
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Baby Step Back
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
ENCORES
Song for a Winters Night
Old Dan’s Records
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GordonLightfoot.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	3857   Click image for larger version

Name:	GordonLightfoot02troy.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	3858  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
xrickx

The only review I've found is this one from the Metroland - our local independent arts newsweekly. http://www.metroland.net/live.html I thought the reviewer spent way too much ink on Gord's diminished vocal ability. But I'm glad the reviewer acknowledged the quality of Gord's songs and the enthusiasm of his loyal fans.
xrickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrickx View Post
The only review I've found is this one .
A fresh google alert today had a link to a tardy but very well written review of last week's Troy NY concert at:-

with a nice unusual photo of Gord's foursome

It Would appear that Andrzej merely copied the selist as presented by Jenney in this thread as it included her shameless self engrandisment verbatim:-
Intermission
Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenney
Intrigued and curious I googled for "Jenney" and found two more uses of Jenney's name one relevant and understandable at
http://edmullen.net/austin.php
Austin, TX - November 2003
2003 Heaven Help The Devil - lead vocals Melissa Joe
2003 Gilgarry Mountain - lead vocals Ed Mullen
2003 Cotton Jenney - lead vocals Derek Kidd
no doubt because Ed was acknowledging that Jenney and the Kidd was a well known item from a few years back
See multiple Newsgroup threads starting at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt...fd466269e99be8
Also worth reading is
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt...1860fb6e727ebe
where you can read about Jenney's original plan to "clean out Derek's cupboards
and replace everything with row after row of Spaghettios".
The other evening she told us how when that plan failed she arranged for poor Derek to be served a plate of Spaghettios at a plush restaurant
Google also found me
http://www.veromi.com/Douglas-Cotton.aspx
where allegedly
"Available Cotton, Jenney"
which is a hyperlink to an info sales page
{Comprehensive Background Report}
for
Subject: COTTON, JENNEY, Age: 43
3 unique addresses in Griffin, GA
Evidenyly another Jenney entirely
Going back to that Troy review I posted a suitable comment:-

a trivial correction:
Whilst there certainly is a prominent Lightfoot fan whose Christian name is an old family name (Jenney with the second “e”)
Gord’s song about a house by a mill is actually about a Cotton Gin (short for cotton engine) and a play on words leads to a southern flame known as Cotton Jenny (with but one “e”)

Last edited by johnfowles; 10-16-2010 at 03:02 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
A fresh google alert today had a link to a tardy but very well written review of last week's Troy NY concert at:-
yeah, char posted the nice review and pics in an Oct 12 thread (and they promptly corrected his age) http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=22428

i've enjoyed exploring Jenney's family history site...and if you like checking out well preserved family pics check out Bob Woolcock's -do other's have similar stuff?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote