banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Iron

I'll have to keep this brief for now,as we just got back home and have to get reloaded for 7-Springs.Last night's show was superb as were the others.Setlist was pretty much the same.Gordon did Carefree Highway,intro. regarding seeing the roadsign and saying "That is a song." I'm sure there were others,but that is one that I can recall.[feelin a bit on the numb side]Gordon mentioned about recently playing monopoly with his kids and refered to Reading RR and pointed out thatit is Red-ing, not Read-ing.He brought the subject up again later on,but I could not hear what he said.Whatever it was,the crowd that could hear it loved it.Always the pronunciation stickler.Reminded me of the Lan-k-ster show a few years back.
We had our travel time figured WAY WAY to close for the trip to Wolftrapp.Got there with about 30 minutes to spare.WHEW!!!I was lookin for You,Bill W.,as mentioned in a prior topic there were many I saw with simalar attire,probably saw You and did'nt even know it.
The one song that sticks in my mind at Wolftrapp...One of my personnel favs.,and I think Gordon spontaniously chose to do it at that time due to the enviro......there were bats flyin round,lightnin bugs streakin about...Do I need to say more,I think not.For me this was the Highlight of the show.A sight forever burnt in my mind...
The Keswick: So far and subject to change,this was my wifes' favorite.We got to see Gordon out back later on [WE tried to stay inside with the "CARDHOLDERS",but after about the 3rd time that big colored fella made it clear that he NEEDED us noncardholders to leave]. So we waited out back and Gloria got her copy of the Ponyman signed by Gordon and all of the band.I got to give Gordon a little something I made up for Him,he probably thinks I'm a nut or something and if He does,He's probably right..It sure won't be the first or last time that has happened.. Maybe more on that later,maybe not we will see.I got to meet Alex and his Wife and his son "Toad the Climber"...at Reading so I know Frkmry was out back somewhere there at Glenside...
One more thing for now that comes to mind..during the 1st show at Wolftrapp,I noticed that Gordon had a different Martin.I think it was during the Glenside show that He mentioned that His son some how took possesion of his signature series D-18, and he had this new one made up he was using.He also mentioned about Terrys' new axe. I don't know of Gordon ever using His signature Martin for performances,so I did'nt quite get the connection on that subject.The one he is using now appears to be a D-18V, from what I could see.Maybe I'll get the chance to get the scoop later today...
Well that is about all I've time for,for now.Be back sometime Sunday.I think I might have to take another weeks vaction to get rested up...I don't know how They {Gordon & band etc.} keep up the pace.I'm about wiped out just going to watch the shows,let alone doin the shows....but I'm sure not complaining
Old 08-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
<Next Saturday>

Mr. Iron, thank you for your review. However, what's with the reference, "big colored fella"?? I've heard of people being stuck in the past, but may I remind you that the current year is 2005...
Old 08-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
brink

I was watching a program by Linda Ellerbee a while back she was talking about the correct way to refer to decendants of African natives. She said when she grew up Colored people was the accepted term, then it went to Negroes, thenit was black, then to African American and now the new term is People of Color sounds pretty much the same as the first, Colored people, it was just a description. i.e. the blonde over there or the bald guy, or the hispanic next door or the Mexican people on the next street, or the short woman (me). As far as "fella" is that the same as me saying "gal" or "folks" I would imagine that it is dependent on where you live. I visit my patients and a lot of times ask How ar you folks today, it isn't disrespectful and I say it no matter what color, race, creed, nationality or religion they are. Comes from growing up in the mid west. I don't think that Iron (Brian) meant anything derogatory at all and wasn't meant to be offensive.

BTW Iron what was the song that stuck in your mind the most, you didn't say. Thanks for the review, I will be going to Reno and Gord sounds like he is in top form - can hardly wait.

[ August 20, 2005, 15:44: Message edited by: brink ]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Great review, Iron, thanks! Yes, I, too, want to know what your favorite song is! And what was it you made for Gord?? Come on, 'fess up!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Susan is away for a few days but said that when she gets back she will post
the setlist for redding that she carefully wrote down in the dark,well fairly
carefully as she managed to almsot obliterate the second half's opener "The
Pony Man by writing the second "beautiful" right on top of where she had
written pony man luckily the P was very clear.Previous posters have covered
most of the two evening's highlights and Gord's chatter. So I wont repeat them
here,
We were able to attend both Glenside and Reading. I read up on the history
of the latter in the Pennsylvania Dutch (German) Country and learned that
"King Charles deeded this land to William Penn in 1681. Penn’s sons founded
Reading in 1748, naming it, Reading, in honor of their ancestral home in
Reading England."
all Brits know the original Reading in Berkshire is pronounced "redding in barkshire"
where Berk/Barkshire is similar to Derby/Darby.
He also introduced Ghosts of Cape Horn as being about as far south as you could
go and at one point stated that this was the first time in his career that he
had played in Redding, having been to Britain 5 times and Europe twice plus
once to some place known as Australia.
Regarding the guitars he said that Terry's was made in New Jersey and that
his son had "absconded" with his own "signature" Martin and thus he now had a
new Martin but I could see none of the distinguishing decoration of a D18GL
version.
He actually introduced Cotton Jenny by saying over his shoulder "Cotton boys"
and asked Mike for a note to start the "ethereal" Restless. Barry once told
me when I asked him how they knew which song to play next that sometimes they
get lucky when Gord will confide the title of the next song to Terry then if
an eavesdropping Barry catches it he'll pass it on to Rick and Mike!!
Which reminds me that at Reading a loud voice complimented Rick on his fine
new ponytail leading Gord to comment that there really wasn't anything else to
do with it!! At Glenside I was indeed glum as BillW noticed because after
walking back to row F to try to find "fork Mary" I only found two ladies
blocking the aisle end of the row (neither wearing anything peach colo(u)red
nor answering to the name Mary and seat 111 was definitely occupied by a largish
gent sporting a tee shirt emblazoned with the name of a defunct prison Island
near the Golden Gate Bridge. I regret that I failed to try to find Brian and
Gloria at Glenside and left my notes containing his seats at Reading in another
pair of trousers.We were delighted to join Bill and Lizanne at the Athena for
a splendid Greek meal and there to also meet the brother and sister act of
formerly Lavender and Gabe (JBT).Strange that nobody came up to the 5 of us
in row DD where Bill's Hawaian shirt was plainly evident and he and I were
wearing our distinctive red badges from Hamilton last November.However on both
nights we were pleased to witness Gord making a fuss over talking to his old
friend Tom Levine (who he first met in New Jersey 33 years ago and now at 40
is not only wheelchair bound but can only communicate laboriously by using a
head mounted wand device to spell out words on a voice synthesizer.
Susan took a series of digital pix of Gord with Tom at Glenside and we got
the best two printed in Reading then Gord autographed the one Tom liked best
which we gave to him in a frame. Tom would like this pic to be displayed on the Internet so I will upload it then we will be emailing the
uploaded picture's address to Tom with the code to display it here.so hopefully he can then do this himself.No doubt his new African-American ahem minder
Darren Scott or his sidekick Gerard or is it Gerald?? could help Tom with
this especially since Darren admitted to becoming a Lightfoot fan himself rare for a person of
colo(u)r (I pointed him in the direction of the Reno video with its performance of the
jazz/blues influenced Make Way For The Lady.And that reminds me that Gord embelished his reference to the aging/departed Warner Records people by adding that another older artist (Dave Brubeck) was an early influence
OK I must stop there before somebody accuses me of being long winded again
John Fowles
A message to the wind
I must begin to write of love and rain

[ August 21, 2005, 08:35: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
...OK I must stop there before somebody accuses me of being long winded again
John Fowles
A message to the wind
I must begin to write of love and rain
Too late, LOL
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Iron

Frkmry,
We must have been about 4or5 behind You.The Lady in front of us had blond hair{the one that put the roses on the stage}.My wife has long red hair,Iwas with her,at times setting on the guide rail also.
Saturday,
Thanks so much for the calender update..I usually don't have too much trouble keepin up with the year,But those months sometimes get me confused.I just get settled in with the current one,and in a couple weeks or so,they go and change it again.Living here on the farm,I don't get to town very often to mingle with the politically correct civilized peoples.I will sure try to be more carefull in the future.
Thank You Brink,and You were for sure correct on your assumption of no offense intended.Enough on that. Can't fess up just yet on what I gave Gordon,had hoped to get to talk to Him about it at 7-Springs,but that did'nt work out.My favorite memory of one of My favorite songs at Wolftrapp,You's should have figured that one out from the clues I gave about the critters of the night....
Sir John,
We saw You down front after the show was over,tried to make our way down,but that ahhhh, security person prevented that move.Thought we would see You coming out back after Gordon came out,didn't see you.Perhaps You exitted the front and went around the right side of the. theatre?? Absconded,Yeah,that was the word He used to describe the loss of the D-18GL to His son.I feel bad that Gordon lost possesion of it,but on the other hand,it is good to think that His son must have some interest in the acoustic realm.Hopefully He might carry on a bit of the family tradition...and no,the guitar that Gordon was sportin was not a D-18 GL.I'm pretty sure it was a D-18V,certainly with a few modifications to suite his needs.The reason(s) I think it is a D-18V(intage)The first night at Wolftrapp,I noticed the shine and reflection off the stage lights,and at the Keswick we were in the front row(behind the folding chairs)and I noticed the through bridge design of the Vintage series.I happen to have one,otherwise I would not have noticed this.But,as I mentioned,I still do not get the connection between losing possesion of His D18GL and His new one.I recall quite some time ago,that Gordon had a guitar stolen at some airport shortly after his recovery from his recent setback.Perhaps that was His old one that He used for many years.. And last but not least,well maybe least,I enjoyed Your reviews,but I think Ya may have overlooked a humorous little bit that occured at the last oncore at Reading.I'm suprised that it was not mentioned by anyone. Just another reason why I admire Gordon as much as I do.He is just as human as the rest of us mere mortals.If yer rememory needs a bit of joggin,here's a clue:As Gloria and I were exiting the premises,We were alongside two fully clothed lady's of the cloth. Gloria said to Brian,"NO wonder He apologized."