banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

In the latest issue of Folk Alley Chat:

Test Your Gordon Lightfoot Knowledge:
Like many Canadian artists, Gordon Lightfoot's legacy is sometimes overshadowed by his American counterparts.
With his 20th release, "Harmony," now in stores, the master songwriter proves that he has the goods to outlast many of his contemporaries.

Play the exclusive Folk Alley Gordon Lightfoot trivia quiz and you could earn a chance at one of 10 copies of "Harmony" autographed by the Folk Laureate of Canada.
Winners will be drawn at random from the entries with the most correct answers. The quiz is only 10 questions long and covers Lightfoot's long and illustrious career.
Each listener may only take the quiz once.

Click here to play the quiz: http://www.folkalley.com/quiz/lightfoot/

Register at http://www.folkalley.com/ if you don't already subscribe.

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited November 02, 2004).]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

In the latest issue of Folk Alley Chat:

Test Your Gordon Lightfoot Knowledge:
Like many Canadian artists, Gordon Lightfoot's legacy is sometimes overshadowed by his American counterparts.
With his 20th release, "Harmony," now in stores, the master songwriter proves that he has the goods to outlast many of his contemporaries.

Play the exclusive Folk Alley Gordon Lightfoot trivia quiz and you could earn a chance at one of 10 copies of "Harmony" autographed by the Folk Laureate of Canada.
Winners will be drawn at random from the entries with the most correct answers. The quiz is only 10 questions long and covers Lightfoot's long and illustrious career.
Each listener may only take the quiz once.

Click here to play the quiz: http://www.folkalley.com/quiz/lightfoot/

Register at http://www.folkalley.com/ if you don't already subscribe.

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited November 02, 2004).]
Old 11-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
charlene

I played the quiz earlier today - 9 out of 10....and no cheating either!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
charlene

I played the quiz earlier today - 9 out of 10....and no cheating either!
lol
Old 11-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Congratulations! You got 10 right and 0 wrong.
The worst thing about that quiz was having to register first
I think that the final question was the hardest
Otherwise hard to imagine getting any wrong!!
And I suppose dear Witless of Whitby that you are gong to tell us that you got the wrong answer to the key question "who did Gord write "beautiful " for eh?? (which was not asked of course!!!)
John Fowles
Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Congratulations! You got 10 right and 0 wrong.
The worst thing about that quiz was having to register first
I think that the final question was the hardest
Otherwise hard to imagine getting any wrong!!
And I suppose dear Witless of Whitby that you are gong to tell us that you got the wrong answer to the key question "who did Gord write "beautiful " for eh?? (which was not asked of course!!!)
John Fowles
Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
charlene

I got the EMR question wrong - who sang it first? I had a brain freeze....
All others were PERFECTION!
There's no sense in asking who BEAUTIFUL was written for - it's a well documented fact!
lol
MOI!

Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
charlene

I got the EMR question wrong - who sang it first? I had a brain freeze....
All others were PERFECTION!
There's no sense in asking who BEAUTIFUL was written for - it's a well documented fact!
lol
MOI!

Old 11-02-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

fun but i got EMR as well as the soundtrack one wrong, mainly 'cos i didn't read the question correctly

well, i was actually pretty lucky to get 8 'cos i don't know dick...or gord

thanks for the link
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:09 PM   #10
jj

fun but i got EMR as well as the soundtrack one wrong, mainly 'cos i didn't read the question correctly

well, i was actually pretty lucky to get 8 'cos i don't know dick...or gord

thanks for the link
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #11
charlene

i think i read the EMR question wrong-i read it a couple of times too!
lol
DUH!
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
charlene

lol
DUH!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #13
Auburn Annie

The EMR one was tricky because I don't think many in the US heard the first recorded version, being more familiar with the other (and I'm being deliberately vague in case somebody else want to take the quiz without hints.)

The soundtrack question was a process of elimination; two I knew for certain, one I was pretty certain, and the fourth I never heard of. I guessed right, though.

I wonder how many people they'll have taking the quiz?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Auburn Annie

The EMR one was tricky because I don't think many in the US heard the first recorded version, being more familiar with the other (and I'm being deliberately vague in case somebody else want to take the quiz without hints.)

The soundtrack question was a process of elimination; two I knew for certain, one I was pretty certain, and the fourth I never heard of. I guessed right, though.

I wonder how many people they'll have taking the quiz?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:13 PM   #15
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

From the results page:

"We will be e-mailing the 10 winners their signed copies of Harmony after November 29."

I'd like to see them accomplish that!

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
Tyler

I got 10 but I did guess at the EMR, the only people I have heard do EMR PP&M and Gord.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #17
brink

I got 10 but I did guess at the EMR, the only people I have heard do EMR PP&M and Gord.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #18
stationmaster

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
lol
DUH!

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing!
I thought it was PPM...
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #19
LSH

yeah well, jj and I scored the same. we don't know dick, or gord. oh well.
I got the emr question wrong. sheesh. and I knew better. never second guess yourself. ah well. I'm not a detail girl. I belong to the school of "give me the music, then shut up so I can hear it!"
cheers
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #20
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

absolutely, lsh...let me bore you here...i started off the quiz thinking this will be easy, then realized it was kinda easy but with a few early exceptions it was still quite stimulating for an avid Gord fan (and i certainly don't know diddly compared to what so many of the folks here and at the ng do, then i got some buds who know real lots, like 'unhealthy real lots', lol)...

...but then i got just stupid with the EMR one and it was like getting asked one of those Trivial Pursuit questions where you immediately have your instinct direct you right but then you somehow go against it thinking "well, it can't be that obvious, it must be the other one, they're just trying to suck me in, i'm smarter than that!"... my brain was still having this unfinished discussion but in the time being my mouse was clicking away saying "ok, let's go, next question please"...lol, almost any Canuck GL fan would have heard of WHO and how Gord got that first break or exposure, shame, shame on jj...i'll sleep standing nose in the corner tonight, after re-reading ALL the text at Wayne's site and all the ng postings back to '94, lol

ok, i was still pouting about the EMR one while i was now into the process of elimiation one, but i never read the question really to realize it was process of elimination, i just glanced the choices, "HH" jumped out at me, i went back to the question for a glance and "soundtrack" jumped out at me, then i clicked away again just as my brain was saying "why don't you just take 5 more seconds to read the question" ...funny, so impatient... i had taken 10x as long to register as i gave myself to do the dang quiz, no stamina, premature quizulation...i just wanted my prize ASAP, typical male instant gratification syndrome... well, it also may be shrink time, that or overinhalation of diaper fumes...ok, gotta run, he's right on cue

ps) don't read this, lsh, too many 'details'
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #21
jj

absolutely, lsh...let me bore you here...i started off the quiz thinking this will be easy, then realized it was kinda easy but with a few early exceptions it was still quite stimulating for an avid Gord fan (and i certainly don't know diddly compared to what so many of the folks here and at the ng do, then i got some buds who know real lots, like 'unhealthy real lots', lol)...

...but then i got just stupid with the EMR one and it was like getting asked one of those Trivial Pursuit questions where you immediately have your instinct direct you right but then you somehow go against it thinking "well, it can't be that obvious, it must be the other one, they're just trying to suck me in, i'm smarter than that!"... my brain was still having this unfinished discussion but in the time being my mouse was clicking away saying "ok, let's go, next question please"...lol, almost any Canuck GL fan would have heard of WHO and how Gord got that first break or exposure, shame, shame on jj...i'll sleep standing nose in the corner tonight, after re-reading ALL the text at Wayne's site and all the ng postings back to '94, lol

ok, i was still pouting about the EMR one while i was now into the process of elimiation one, but i never read the question really to realize it was process of elimination, i just glanced the choices, "HH" jumped out at me, i went back to the question for a glance and "soundtrack" jumped out at me, then i clicked away again just as my brain was saying "why don't you just take 5 more seconds to read the question" ...funny, so impatient... i had taken 10x as long to register as i gave myself to do the dang quiz, no stamina, premature quizulation...i just wanted my prize ASAP, typical male instant gratification syndrome... well, it also may be shrink time, that or overinhalation of diaper fumes...ok, gotta run, he's right on cue

jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #22
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by jj:

I got 10 ... and from my sick bed!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #23
MatthewBullis

The question about which lake confused me, and I had to look in the song, but the answer will still not jump out at you. Listen carefully and slowly.
Matthew
Old 11-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #24
MatthewBullis

The question about which lake confused me, and I had to look in the song, but the answer will still not jump out at you. Listen carefully and slowly.
Matthew
Old 11-03-2004, 06:11 AM   #25
ELizabeth

OK, I'll bite - who was 'Beautiful' written for?
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote