banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-22-2000, 12:42 PM   #51
Kasey

Thanks for the interesting info, VLMagee - I appreciate it! Guess I'll hold on to it since it appears to be rare. You're right, I remember thinking "this doesn't even sound like Gord" when I heard it. They don't credit anybody else on the LP, so I wonder who it was?
Florian: I am addicted to this site - it's the only one I have stayed with. Great job!
Now I know I'm not the only Gord fan after all these years, hiding in my room, playing Gord songs. Let's hear it for us fans!

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2000, 01:12 PM   #52
dill23

Dear Otterjudy:

Could you add just one more to your list for me, the heartwrenching "The Last time I saw Her" I really don;t think anybody here considers your list "chick songs", atleast I sure don't. Lucky you about your bootleg album.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2000, 01:12 PM   #53
Rob Wells

Dear Otterjudy:

Could you add just one more to your list for me, the heartwrenching "The Last time I saw Her" I really don;t think anybody here considers your list "chick songs", atleast I sure don't. Lucky you about your bootleg album.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2000, 01:55 PM   #54
Dorothea

Lets keep feeding this addiction, Theotterjudy.

Imagine my situation...
A fan for nearly 30 years, with virtually nobody to communicate my passion with.
All of a sudden, I stumble across a site full of people who know as much about him, if not more than me!

Whats this with 'the last time I saw her'
theres new posts coming on everywhere at the moment...
What time is it in the U.S at the moment!?

Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2000, 01:55 PM   #55
Frank v

Lets keep feeding this addiction, Theotterjudy.

Imagine my situation...
A fan for nearly 30 years, with virtually nobody to communicate my passion with.
All of a sudden, I stumble across a site full of people who know as much about him, if not more than me!

Whats this with 'the last time I saw her'
theres new posts coming on everywhere at the moment...
What time is it in the U.S at the moment!?

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 08:26 AM   #56
Jacky

As mentioned to Florian in a separate e-mail, I own a copy of a semi-bootleg CD which popped up in German stores a couple of years ago.
This is a 60-minute recording of Gordon´s Montreux Festival show, taped in the summer of 1977.
It highlights a few songs off "Summertime Dream", the most recent album at the time, but also classic tracks as CRT (I´m learning), IYCRMM, "Sundown" and "Softly". The overall stereo sound quality is quite good if you can live with minor tape hiss and too-dominant backup vocals on some tracks. I am typing this from the office, so I can´t get you the detailed track list - but if anybody´s interested I can provide you with that when I´m home later tonight. At least this show is only 23 years old, and offers a wider selection than the "Sunday Concert" recording. Also, Gord´s voice as in ship-shape that night. I wonder why Warner Bros never released this officially, as it does sound like a professional taping.

Christian

Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 08:26 AM   #57
Christian Kuschel

As mentioned to Florian in a separate e-mail, I own a copy of a semi-bootleg CD which popped up in German stores a couple of years ago.
This is a 60-minute recording of Gordon´s Montreux Festival show, taped in the summer of 1977.
It highlights a few songs off "Summertime Dream", the most recent album at the time, but also classic tracks as CRT (I´m learning), IYCRMM, "Sundown" and "Softly". The overall stereo sound quality is quite good if you can live with minor tape hiss and too-dominant backup vocals on some tracks. I am typing this from the office, so I can´t get you the detailed track list - but if anybody´s interested I can provide you with that when I´m home later tonight. At least this show is only 23 years old, and offers a wider selection than the "Sunday Concert" recording. Also, Gord´s voice as in ship-shape that night. I wonder why Warner Bros never released this officially, as it does sound like a professional taping.

Christian

Christian Kuschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 09:00 AM   #58
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Montreux (on June 26,1976 in spite of what the CD says) was taped for radio broadcast, so it is a sound board recording and not an audience recording. That is why it sound so "good". But the mix is really dreadful. You are kind in your comment about the too prominent backup vocals. Mind you, some of the songs sound great with backup vocals (as they are on the studio recordings), but Montreux really demonstrates what can happen when someone who doesn't know what they are doing produces the mix for the recording. I really have to laugh when I listen to Terry on Race Among The Ruins (when it's really Gord I'd rather hear!) ...

The funniest part of the recording is when Gord, frustrated by the audience clapping along, yells out (mid-song) "Cool it! Cool it! Leave the driving to us" ... I remember him doing that at a 70s concert at SPAC (Saratoga Springs) as well, and during the same song (The Auctioneer). Some people criticize him for that, but if you listen carefully to the recording you can tell that - difficult as the cadence of the song is - he has a hard time maintaining it with the audience clapping along imperfectly as would be true of any group of people. To this day, I cringe when people clap along with his songs. He never complains anymore, but I can't believe that he really likes it. Amazingly, at Massey in November, when he was taping the concert for a possible live album, people there - who should know better - clapped along, even to Trilogy. Now really, how can anyone think that CRT is a "clap-along" song?

Regarding official release of this concert, Gord wasn't taping it for an album release. It was taped for a radio broadcast, and the later release on CD was unauthorized. Gord never intended it for a live album, so it would never have been considered by WB for an official album.

------------------
Valerie Magee
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 01:55 PM   #59
Jacky

Hi Valerie -

good to hear from you. I´ve noticed your excellent reviews on Amazon which clearly show you know what you´re talking about. I´ve always wondered about the exact recording date for that Montreux show, so thanks for finally clearing this up.

I am usually very fond of live recordings even if they are technically sub-standard, as they often convey more emotion than the studio versions (not in this case, though). I have had this Montreux CD since 1992 (I think), have exchanged its dreadful original cover with a decent self-made one (hobby of mine)and still enjoy listening to it with all of the imperfections. At the time I bought this bootleg all I had of "Live Gordon" was a seriously worn version of the "Sunday Concert", about 12 years old, so that CD came as a welcome addition to the collection.

It is great to be in touch with other people appreciating the uncomparably wonderful music of GL; I hope we´ll keep this thing up for years to come.

All the best from Germany (to Connecticut, right?),
Christian

Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 01:55 PM   #60
Christian Kuschel

Hi Valerie -

good to hear from you. I´ve noticed your excellent reviews on Amazon which clearly show you know what you´re talking about. I´ve always wondered about the exact recording date for that Montreux show, so thanks for finally clearing this up.

I am usually very fond of live recordings even if they are technically sub-standard, as they often convey more emotion than the studio versions (not in this case, though). I have had this Montreux CD since 1992 (I think), have exchanged its dreadful original cover with a decent self-made one (hobby of mine)and still enjoy listening to it with all of the imperfections. At the time I bought this bootleg all I had of "Live Gordon" was a seriously worn version of the "Sunday Concert", about 12 years old, so that CD came as a welcome addition to the collection.

It is great to be in touch with other people appreciating the uncomparably wonderful music of GL; I hope we´ll keep this thing up for years to come.

All the best from Germany (to Connecticut, right?),
Christian

Christian Kuschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 02:43 PM   #61
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Yes, Christian, it's Connecticut. I hope, being in Germany, that you have the Bear Family CDs. I actually bought my first one (Sunday Concert Plus) from them (for 30 DM). Now several of the online stores seem to have the albums in stock for quick shipment but back when I heard about it (late '97) none of the big online stores could even get it when ordered! As you know from messages in other threads here, the three Bear Family CDs are generally considered the best sounding of the various CDs containing UA albums (not to mention the fact that two of the three have bonus tracks).

And you would probably faint if you knew what I spent for a used copy of that Montreux CD. I already had a tape copy, and had the opportunity to trade for or buy CD-R copies, but I decided that if I got anything more it would be the real CD. The good news is that with the CD, and all the rare albums including the Movin' EP, there are only a total of 7 things to collect, so there is a limit to how broke I will get. Only two more to find! (Of course, that doesn't account for the fact that I have more than one copy of some, ... oh well).

So, having the CD, I know exactly what you mean by that original CD insert. It's a real embarrassment, and given that they apparently didn't worry about infringing on copyright when they released the recordings, I can't imagine why they worried about using a photo of GL also without authorization!

------------------
Valerie Magee
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 09:59 PM   #62
thumbs

Send a message via ICQ to thumbs

This is a fun topic, and I have enjoyed reading all of the entries. My initial 'live' or 'unplugged' album consisted of 30 tunes. My wife suggested I trim it down a bit. I've come up with this 16 song gem. Here goes:

1. Wherefore and Why
2. Wild Strawberries
3. A Passing Ship
4. Don Quixote
5. Beautiful
6. The Wreck...
7. Ringneck Loon
8. If Children Had Wings
9. Christian Island
10. If You Could Read My Mind
11. Home From the Forest
12. On Susan's Floor
13. Shadows
14. Knotty Pine
15. CRT
16. A Painter Passing Through

FYI, the other 14:

1. Rainy Day People
2. Circle of Steel
3. Minstrel of the Dawn
4. Poor Little Allison
5. Miguel
6. The House You Live In
7. The Last Time I saw Her
8. Boss Man
9. Pussy willows, Cat-Tails
10. Fine As Fine Can Be
11. Only Love Would Know
12. Morning Glory
13. Apology
14. 10 Degrees and Getting Colder

Thanks for listening.

potter

'It's a long long hike
We'll be leavin' early travelin' light'

GL
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 09:59 PM   #63
potter

This is a fun topic, and I have enjoyed reading all of the entries. My initial 'live' or 'unplugged' album consisted of 30 tunes. My wife suggested I trim it down a bit. I've come up with this 16 song gem. Here goes:

1. Wherefore and Why
2. Wild Strawberries
3. A Passing Ship
4. Don Quixote
5. Beautiful
6. The Wreck...
7. Ringneck Loon
8. If Children Had Wings
9. Christian Island
10. If You Could Read My Mind
11. Home From the Forest
12. On Susan's Floor
13. Shadows
14. Knotty Pine
15. CRT
16. A Painter Passing Through

FYI, the other 14:

1. Rainy Day People
2. Circle of Steel
3. Minstrel of the Dawn
4. Poor Little Allison
5. Miguel
6. The House You Live In
7. The Last Time I saw Her
8. Boss Man
9. Pussy willows, Cat-Tails
10. Fine As Fine Can Be
11. Only Love Would Know
12. Morning Glory
13. Apology
14. 10 Degrees and Getting Colder

Thanks for listening.

potter

'It's a long long hike
We'll be leavin' early travelin' light'

GL
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 10:43 PM   #64
dill23

FrankV

With regards the "The Last Time I saw Her Face" there was some confusion between some of the members about which song Christian was taking about. Mark Potter had mentioned that he had seen Gord do it in concert once and he a some difficulty with the song. I responded to Chritian off the board and related to him that of all Gord's songs this one seems to be the hardest one to perform for a number of reasons. It's difficult to sing because it requires excellent vocal control, zero defect guitar work and you must draw, it seems on personal tradgedy, for the emotional depth to sing it well. You also can't get too deeply in to it or you wind-up blowing the last verse, as I have seen other artists, including myself, do by just flat breaking down. I shared my personal loss with him and he shared his with me. That's the beauty of Gord's songs. Everyone can relate in some way to what he is saying. Everyone has a memory they can hang on his lyrics that endears what ever favorite song they hold so dear to them. I can't remember who mentioned that tissues were provided in the liner for "Stone Cold Sober", but a full box should be provided for " The Last time I Saw Her Face."

I think that VMagee could really shed some light for us all with reagrds to this song if we just coax her a little.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 10:43 PM   #65
Rob Wells

FrankV

With regards the "The Last Time I saw Her Face" there was some confusion between some of the members about which song Christian was taking about. Mark Potter had mentioned that he had seen Gord do it in concert once and he a some difficulty with the song. I responded to Chritian off the board and related to him that of all Gord's songs this one seems to be the hardest one to perform for a number of reasons. It's difficult to sing because it requires excellent vocal control, zero defect guitar work and you must draw, it seems on personal tradgedy, for the emotional depth to sing it well. You also can't get too deeply in to it or you wind-up blowing the last verse, as I have seen other artists, including myself, do by just flat breaking down. I shared my personal loss with him and he shared his with me. That's the beauty of Gord's songs. Everyone can relate in some way to what he is saying. Everyone has a memory they can hang on his lyrics that endears what ever favorite song they hold so dear to them. I can't remember who mentioned that tissues were provided in the liner for "Stone Cold Sober", but a full box should be provided for " The Last time I Saw Her Face."

I think that VMagee could really shed some light for us all with reagrds to this song if we just coax her a little.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2000, 03:31 AM   #66
Dorothea

Potter,
How do you get off,choosing 30 songs...

I'll have to start a new topic on the subject of a double album!
(just joking)

In all seriousness it was a great choice.

I'll get back to you Rob,on that point.
My son's waiting at the door for me.
Old 03-24-2000, 03:31 AM   #67
Frank v

Potter,
How do you get off,choosing 30 songs...

I'll have to start a new topic on the subject of a double album!
(just joking)

In all seriousness it was a great choice.

I'll get back to you Rob,on that point.
My son's waiting at the door for me.
Old 03-24-2000, 10:16 AM   #68
Dorothea

Rob,
Good luck on that possible interview.
(You know where to come afterwards...)

On the subject of that song 'The last time I saw her'.There seemed to be several posts appearing on different topics concerning that song at the same time.
There was a confusion with 'The first time I saw her face'.The McColl number from his first album.

Val,
How do you get and remember that info!It's amazing!
In the UK there were two different releases with slightly different covers.'IYCRMM' and 'Sit down young stranger'.The latter is now a collector's piece.
While I'm on this kind of subject,is there any more news of 'The final four'.
(My copy of ODR looks like an antique.)

Frank v.
Old 03-24-2000, 10:16 AM   #69
Frank v

Rob,
Good luck on that possible interview.
(You know where to come afterwards...)

On the subject of that song 'The last time I saw her'.There seemed to be several posts appearing on different topics concerning that song at the same time.
There was a confusion with 'The first time I saw her face'.The McColl number from his first album.

Val,
How do you get and remember that info!It's amazing!
In the UK there were two different releases with slightly different covers.'IYCRMM' and 'Sit down young stranger'.The latter is now a collector's piece.
While I'm on this kind of subject,is there any more news of 'The final four'.
(My copy of ODR looks like an antique.)

Frank v.
Old 04-25-2000, 02:09 AM   #70
Dorothea

Since I started this topic I have been informed there is no chance of a GL live album.I always knew this.What I meant by new was a compilation of live cuts from the 70's and 80's rather than anything from his recent tours.For example recorded televison shows or live concerts from that period could easily be put on disc.
This could be beneficial for the artist in different ways.It could promote his studio albums further.Also it would be better than bootlegs from which the artist doesn't profit.
Only one live album from the 60's from an extensive catalogue is unusal.
It was only a topic to promote communication but the subject of a lack of live work is an interesting one.

Frank v.
Old 04-25-2000, 02:09 AM   #71
Frank v

Since I started this topic I have been informed there is no chance of a GL live album.I always knew this.What I meant by new was a compilation of live cuts from the 70's and 80's rather than anything from his recent tours.For example recorded televison shows or live concerts from that period could easily be put on disc.
This could be beneficial for the artist in different ways.It could promote his studio albums further.Also it would be better than bootlegs from which the artist doesn't profit.
Only one live album from the 60's from an extensive catalogue is unusal.
It was only a topic to promote communication but the subject of a lack of live work is an interesting one.

Frank v.
Old 07-22-2000, 03:01 AM   #72
Dorothea

Any more ideas on new live albums folks.

Frank.
Old 07-22-2000, 03:01 AM   #73
Frank v

Any more ideas on new live albums folks.

Frank.
Old 07-23-2000, 05:10 AM   #74
Dorothea

ENCORE 2

Gord returns to the joy of the crowd!

Hush......

Hey you.
(Bouncy,jolly,Melodic...)

Whispers of the North.
(Listen to the urgency and spontaneity of the hymmlike backround humming).
Where nature takes it course...

Circle of steel
(Anti Emotion? Listen to this and liberate yourself)!

Gord departs to the sadness of the crowd.
Will he return......?

Frank.

Old 07-23-2000, 05:10 AM   #75
Frank v

ENCORE 2

Gord returns to the joy of the crowd!

Hush......

Hey you.
(Bouncy,jolly,Melodic...)

Whispers of the North.
(Listen to the urgency and spontaneity of the hymmlike backround humming).
Where nature takes it course...

Circle of steel
(Anti Emotion? Listen to this and liberate yourself)!

Gord departs to the sadness of the crowd.
Will he return......?

Frank.