banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2003, 02:26 PM   #1
MatthewBullis

Hello, I hear this song on Gord's Gold, and it sounds like somebody mixed them together very nicely, or that they just recorded the piece as one in a different session. Can they be found as two separate songs on two separate albums?
Thanks, and do you know why this was done?
Matthew
Old 06-29-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
MatthewBullis

Hello, I hear this song on Gord's Gold, and it sounds like somebody mixed them together very nicely, or that they just recorded the piece as one in a different session. Can they be found as two separate songs on two separate albums?
Thanks, and do you know why this was done?
Matthew
Old 06-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
joveski

they were recorded liek that. all the GG stuff is recorded (the early material). he plays them live in that format most of the time. they are also joined on the sunday concert album. he did the same with i'm not saying/did she mention my name
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
Borderstone

Matthew.> First off,I think Joveski meant to type "re-recorded". Gordon did this because the two blend well together and it's also a way of down-playing the male chauvenistic stance made on "For Lovin' Me". The two together make the story of a man who tells the woman he's leaving that he doesn't need her and can have any other woman he wants. Then,by adding on,"Did She...?" it sort of fast forwards to a later time when he's regretted his actions and misses her. I find it to be one of the better medley form songs ever done by anyone. Actually,Joveski it's "I'm Not Sayin'" and "Ribbon Of Darkness" that go together and have the same effect as the other. The original seperate versions are: "F.L. Me",on the 1st Lightfoot LP/Songbook/two different UA Best of GL and the brand new Capitol release Classic Masters. "I'm Not Sayin" all of the same. "Did She Mention My Name" is on the LP of the same name and the above mentioned collections. Momentary memory lapse that makes me wish I had a home computer:I believe "Ribbon" is also on the "Did She..." LP and said collections. All are available on CD so,happy hunting! It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:16 AM   #5
MatthewBullis

Borderstone wrote:

All are available on CD so,happy hunting! It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well you cleaned me out of vinyl here at the Phoenix stores, so I had to go online to get the albums I wanted.<G> If there are any you didn't find, which I think you got them all, try Gemm, of course, or www.DuffelBag.com
Matthew
Old 06-30-2003, 02:16 AM   #6
MatthewBullis

Borderstone wrote:

All are available on CD so,happy hunting! It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well you cleaned me out of vinyl here at the Phoenix stores, so I had to go online to get the albums I wanted.<G> If there are any you didn't find, which I think you got them all, try Gemm, of course, or www.DuffelBag.com
Matthew
Old 06-30-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
Borderstone

Matthew,didn't you try Memory Lane Records on University Drive just east of McLintock Road? They have a lot of GL! In fact I would have bought all my GL LP's there if it wasn't for the fact that they're kind of pricey. I paid nearly $18 for "The Way I Feel" which turned out to be the only copy they had,not to mention I think it's the only one in all of the Metro Phoenix Area! I also got my vinyl copy of "East Of Midnight" there for $12 (I lik GL but I don't feel the LP is worth that much yet!) Give 'em a try next time your in town,they arelocated on the north side of University just past a little road call S. Perry. At least you can drive there,I live on the NW side and have to take 2 different bus lines. I'm used to it though. If you go,I know they have plenty of Sundown/Don Quixote/Cold On The Shoulder/If you Could and others. Good luck! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown! Edit:P.S.- Thanks for the online tip,but yes I got them all. Excluding bootlegs and the early Two Tones material.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited June 30, 2003).]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #8
joveski

this isn't a pot shot borderstone, but is it really necessary to put your name into nearly every thread that comes up? a lot of your discussions can be taken in personal email.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #9
MatthewBullis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
[B]Matthew,didn't you try Memory Lane Records on University Drive just east of McLintock Road? They have a lot of GL!

Yes, Memory Lane is expensive, but I'd rather order from their web site, which is www.MemoryLaneRecords.com
since it's convenient. Perhaps you can try that the next time you don't feel like getting the two buses, but still feel like getting some rare records.
Matthew
Old 06-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #10
MatthewBullis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
[B]Matthew,didn't you try Memory Lane Records on University Drive just east of McLintock Road? They have a lot of GL!

Yes, Memory Lane is expensive, but I'd rather order from their web site, which is www.MemoryLaneRecords.com
since it's convenient. Perhaps you can try that the next time you don't feel like getting the two buses, but still feel like getting some rare records.
Matthew
Old 06-30-2003, 07:22 PM   #11
Borderstone

Joveski,as most people on this website know,I post at my local library which does not have accessible E*Mail. I also haveno home PC. Also,I realize my line name is on the side of the thread but I like to utilize the signature option. I don't really have a reason for using it except that it's there for the using. I wish I had a way to E*Mail the people I talk to on this site but it's just not financially possible right now. Let me close by saying that just because most people have access to modern tech. or comm. -it does not mean that everyone has it,or for that matter wants it. I have more important things to use my income for. So,until that time,if ever,this is how I post and communicate on this board and 'scuse me for being an avid participant. I think I now see why Gordon doesn't want a PC. Some people just have to be a nit-picker. I know you said you meant no offense intended,J. but there was no other way I could take it. I'm not angry,just suprised a bit that any of that even matters in any sense of the word. I'm outta here ('til next time)!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited June 30, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited July 01, 2003).]
Old 06-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
Simone

All songs mentioned go well together. I've always thought the reason to do this was to save Album/Disc time. Gord was able to kill two birds with one stone and have two appear as one, thus, making room for one more. Had he not done this, which song might have been left out of GG? Which one could you live wthout?

Peace,

Borderstone in Virginia
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #13
Chris in Virginia

All songs mentioned go well together. I've always thought the reason to do this was to save Album/Disc time. Gord was able to kill two birds with one stone and have two appear as one, thus, making room for one more. Had he not done this, which song might have been left out of GG? Which one could you live wthout?

Peace,

Borderstone in Virginia
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #14
Borderstone

Which could I do without? None of them. Otherwise it would feel like something was missing. (By the way Chris,I have no problem with you sort of "borrowing" my name but you should have said "may I?" first! I'm telling your Mom! Later!

------------------
Old 05-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #15
chillywilsa

Another version of "For Lovin' Me" (the 1st version!) is on Warner Bros. 45 #5621 with
"I'm Not Sayin'" on B-side...both slightly different than U.A. cuts; also "Ribbon of Darkness" was on 1st U.A. "Lightfoot" LP and on U.A. 45 #929 with Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" on B-side(don't believe this B-side on any LP?)
chillywilsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:05 AM   #16
Borderstone

It's not on any of my LP's,that's for sure.

I was just reading my above message from 11 months ago,I do go on sometimes don't I?
At least now I use the Enter option to make paragraphs more clear! Hard to believe I said at that time it would be unlikely I'd ever get a home PC but here I am!

I still want Early Lightfoot & Two Tones,darn it!! Val,if you're still there,can I try once again to get one of yours? Sorry about last year but my financial world made it impossible. If you still have them,I'd really like to get one,if I may. It's been me,by-ya!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Old 05-16-2004, 05:40 AM   #17
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
I still want Early Lightfoot & Two Tones,darn it!! Val,if you're still there,can I try once again to get one of yours? Sorry about last year but my financial world made it impossible. If you still have them,I'd really like to get one,if I may. It's been me,by-ya!

I'm still here and I still have your copy of EL.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at adamapps.biz and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:42 AM   #18
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by fortyfivesfrank:
Another version of "For Lovin' Me" (the 1st version!) is on Warner Bros. 45 #5621 with
"I'm Not Sayin'" on B-side...both slightly different than U.A. cuts; also "Ribbon of Darkness" was on 1st U.A. "Lightfoot" LP and on U.A. 45 #929 with Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" on B-side(don't believe this B-side on any LP?)

Tom Thumb is on Sunday Concert Plus, the same as Sunday Concert with additional recordings added.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:38 AM   #19
chillywilsa

Is it 'Live' or 'Studio' version on SC-II?
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 AM   #20
chillywilsa

Old 05-17-2004, 06:36 AM   #21
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by fortyfivesfrank:

It's the studio version.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:02 AM   #22
chillywilsa

Thanks...same as 45 release then.