banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #26
Janice

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Another method is to use Paltalk.com

Exactly! We actually used PalTalk for a long while, but all of a sudden several of us were having trouble with it so we went back to the Guitar Chat Yahoo Group. I imagine any of the instant messaging programs with voice capability would work
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #27
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by searam:
Just curious! It would be helpful to me to know where we all reside, so we could plan concerts, etc. Anyone interested?
Sean

A great topic Sean but IMHO this should really have been in the main forum especially seeing the discussions that ensued re gatherings and guitar chat so after I post this reply here I will put a link to it on the main forum.Basically to answer your query I am originally from Dorset in the wonderful South of England My home town is the beautiful country market town of
Sherborne, Dorset
I am sure there was a recent topic which mentioned the word chipping as referring to market but blowed if I can find it even using the usually reliable search facility here. I was going to add to that discussion so rather than waste my draft I'll use it here as follows:-
Interesting
I have just found this in my copy of the superb "The Sunday Times Book of the Countryside" (which just so happens to have a forward by my namesake the famous English novellist John Fowles
"Market towns are as integral a part of the rural scene as the villages not just the Market Harboroughs and Market Draytons but the Chipping Nortons and Chipping Sodburys, for "chipping" comes from the Anglo-Saxon "cheapen" meaning to buy
Hence the main shopping street in my hometown is called Cheap Street, which sure confuses tourists when they find exclusive and expensive shops there!!

Cheap Street Sherborne (note the old timbered building at the top of the street)
To anser your plea sean I spent nigh on 6 years in Montreal, then 30 years back in Dorset and since June 2000 I have been happily married to Susan Agordfan in New Jersey.As far as gatherings go I have been to several in CT, NJ, Austin Texas, Saratoga Springs NY and of course the two brilliant conventions in Toronto in 1999 and 2001. suffice to say that whenever two or more are gathered in Gord's name it's magical,and although we were inadvertently not invited to the inaugural guitar jam session at the Delta Chelsea Hotel in Toronto in May 2001 which led to the formation of
The Gordon Lightfoot tribute Band
we thoroughly enjoyed hearing this group of talented fans in action in Saratoga in 2002 and 2003.
As far as guitar chat goes I believe it gradually declined in popularity and attendance but if you are interested you could do yourself and others a big favour by resurrecting it.Have a look at Cathy and Ed Mullen's attempts to promote it on the Newsgroup at for example:-

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...AC3D%40gwi.net
Note that the existing Yahoo guitar chat group is at:- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...ootguitarchat/
Strangely although I thought that I used to be a member of this group
it no longer apears on the list of MY (Yahoo) GROUPS
And I am now told:-
"Sorry, this group is available to members ONLY.
You are not allowed to access this group."
and there is now absolutely no indication of how to apply to join it
Perhaps Cathy and/or Janice could comment on this as it is a pretty stupid and useless setup as it now stands

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited June 10, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #28
Porter

Wausau, Wisconsin

smack in the center of the state
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #29
Borderstone

Phoenix,Arizona!! About 15 or 16 miles south of "Carefree Highway!!!" "Now i gotta slip away from here!"

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #30
searam

I am so flattered to hear of all the wonderful cities/countries that you live in! John, I knew someone from Corf Castle, in Dorset(hope I spelled that correctly!). While I have not had the honour of seeing Canada, I am in love with the U.K.! I also want to say that I am enjoying this membership and "talking" with all of you! Maybe one day I will put up one of my CD's for your critiques. Cathy is so talented, that I hesitate! By the way, in one thread someone mentioned that Gord was lumped in with the 70's bands. I was one of those, and played lead with many others.
Thanks for sharing your info with me! I look forward to meeting you all soon!!!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #31
Janice

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
Strangely although I thought that I used to be a member of this group
it no longer apears on the list of MY (Yahoo) GROUPS
And I am now told:-
"Sorry, this group is available to members ONLY.
You are not allowed to access this group."
and there is now absolutely no indication of how to apply to join it
Perhaps Cathy and/or Janice could comment on this as it is a pretty stupid and useless setup as it now stands

In addition to the technical problems some of us were having at PalTalk, we were also having some problems with trolls. When we went back to Yahoo, Ed set up a new group. It's possible that he set it up so that one needed an invitation to join in order to eliminate the trolls - I really don't know since I didn't do the setting up. However, I'm sure if you email him, he'll gladly send you an invitation to join, John.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:47 AM   #32
SilverHeels

oops-I've just found this thread and John,I agree. It should be in the Main Forum.

I've crossed the Pond several times to meet up with my Gord-friends and to attend Gord gigs. I'm on my way over again next week for the Atlanta get-together.
(btw Sean, I'm in Surrey, England.)
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #33
searam

You mean there is an Atlanta get-together after I JUST moved away from there!!!??? Wher, and when, is it? And by the way, have a good time! I lived in Duluth, to the north/northeast, on the Chattahoochie River in a subdivision called "Thornhill".
Sean
Old 06-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #34
Jim Nasium

Gosport in the county of Hampshire, in the south of England. Our house is a few hundred yards from this old fort, built in about 1860. This 1 of a series of forts in this area, known as "Palmerston's Follies"

Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #35
searam

Very cool! The one thing, besides my anscestory, is all the history in England! Here in the States, we seem to tear alot of buildings down to make way for newer, unattractive dwellings! As if we needed the space!!!
Thanks,
Sean
Old 06-11-2004, 03:41 PM   #36
violet Blue Horse

Using Johns directions, this should work - crossing fingers.

This is a picture I took lakeside for a website I used to work on.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #37
searam

This beautiful place is where you live?
Sean
Old 06-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #38
violet Blue Horse

Well, I don't live at that exact spot. But I do know the owners of the hammock and I've laid in it a few times. Technically I live on the other side of the lake from that hammock and a hundred or so more feet up.

And thank you, yes, it is the most beautiful place on earth I do believe.

quote:Originally posted by searam:
This beautiful place is where you live?
Sean

Old 06-11-2004, 11:36 PM   #39
stationmaster

Scarborough, ON. Home of Mike Myers and The Bare Naked Ladies. Just a few miles south of Couchitching!
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #40
searam

I've got to say that it is so great to hear and see where everyone lives! It makes me aware that there is so much of this world that I must see! Thanks to you all for sharing it! I must ask again, are there any pix of Gord's "haunts", office, studio,etc., that any of you could share with those of us who have not had the pleasure?
Thanks, again,
Sean
Old 06-12-2004, 06:37 AM   #41
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
Using Johns directions, this should work - crossing fingers.

This is a picture I took lakeside for a website I used to work on.

Violet, that is a gorgeous place to live!

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #42
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I'd never make it to work if I lived in a place with a view like that much less that darned hamock.

Neither would I. I'd have to buy a laptop, park myself on the hammock and get some type of work-at-home job, and then I couldn't guarantee that I'd actually work. I'd be spending my time looking at the lake.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:09 AM   #43
violet Blue Horse

Well, if you ever come to Big Bear and have more money that sense, that house is actually a vacation rental. Course the nightly rental is more rent than some people pay for a month. Still it's an amazing house, built originallly in 1938 and it sits on a point that juts out into the lake so the views are amazing.

Yeah, photographing beautiful houses for a living was a tough job, but someone had to do it.

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:
Violet, that is a gorgeous place to live!

Old 06-14-2004, 03:41 PM   #44
jj

SW Ontario ...some would say not SW enough
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #45
Mary Ann

Searam,
I live in the Atlanta area. And oops ... it was me who hosted the gathering in THE ATL. It was held June 18-20 and it was a blast if I do say so myself. I had people come in from CA, NJ, FLA, PA, AL, TX, Toronto and the UK as well as one from Alpharetta, GA! If you didn't get word that I was having a gathering ... blame it on Silverheels- she was responsible for that part of the event. LOL Just kidding Bru ... you did great!
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #46
joveski

melbourne, australia. (we had the 1956 olympics!)

far down south according to most people.

catmanron from this group also lives down here
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #47
LSH

Hiya,
I live in Vancouver, WA. By the Columbia River which is the border between WA and OR states. I spend all my wishes wishing I lived back up north on the Olympic Peninsula. Wish I hadn't moved down here!
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:27 PM   #48
DMD3

I'd never make it to work if I lived in a place with a view like that much less that darned hamock.

I've laid in a hammock before and I wouldn't want one because it would ruin me. It would make me lazy, very lazy.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:57 PM   #49
searam

Great to hear from all of you! We have a great worldwide network of friends and fans! I am sorry I missed the Atlanta gathering, as I recently moved from there. And Joveski, I hear your part of this planet is absolutely beautiful!
Take care, everyone!
Sean
Old 08-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #50
djb

Uppsala, (actually Bjorklinge) Sweden

David