banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Testforum

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Jesse Joe

Default Mike Myers says he was "star-struck" !

TORONTO - Rabid hockey fan Mike Myers says he was "star-struck" and "tongue twisty" when it came to shooting a scene for "The Love Guru" at the Air Canada Centre with his beloved Maple Leafs

AP

Actor Mike Myers poses on the press line at the premiere of the feature film “The Love Guru” in Los Angeles.

"This is a Canadian boy's dream come true," Myers said during a recent conference call to promote the film, in which he plays a self-help guru trying to lift the Leafs' spirits so they can win their first Stanley Cup since 1967.
Myers's character, Guru Pitka, is a fame-hungry spiritual leader recruited by a fictional Leafs owner (played by Jessica Alba) to help her star player repair his relationship with his wife so the team can improve morale.
Pop star Justin Timberlake plays the L.A. Kings goalie who has stolen the heart of said wife.
Myers says he first thought of his guru character after embarking on his own spiritual quest following his father's death in 1991.
Giving the film a hockey slant was the actor's way of imagining something he may never see again in his lifetime, he said jokingly.
"The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1967 and I thought the only way I'll probably see a Stanley Cup in my lifetime is if I write it," said Myers, who grew up in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough, where he played street hockey, took power skating lessons and worshipped "hockey gods."
So what does he think it will take for the team to achieve the ultimate victory once again?
"We need two good centres, we need somebody who can captain the power play from the point and we need two goalies that peak at the same time, that much I do know," said the "Shrek" star.
"We need to instil in the team a one-for-all and all-for-one, 16W (playoff wins) mentality."
The Emmy winner also wants Leafs captain Mats Sundin, who is weighing his options for next season, to stick around.
"They should do everything in their power to keep him," said Myers. "I am a massive Mats Sundin fan. He's a great player, a great Leaf and a great guy."
"The Love Guru" opens in theatres on June 20
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Mike Myers says he was "star-struck" !

we need darryl sittler!! lisa and i watched a scene shoot of the movie at the Rogers centreéskydome vone night..mike wasn't there nor was justin timberlake..lisa was so disappointed..can't wait to see the movie..i LOVES my Leafs..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
timetraveler

Somehow, Myers looks like someone who would be wild about hockey.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
Somehow, Myers looks like someone who would be wild about hockey.
lol - mike and me...we love our hockey and our Leafs..it``s genetic...
Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

You got a love the Leafs..~gl~
Old 06-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Jesse Joe

Mike Myers has a secret crush on one of his Love Guru costars . . . and it's not Jessica Alba . . . it's Justin Timberlake.

AP

Mike Myers

"I do have a man-crush on him," Myers told moviesonline.ca. "He's like the most talented human being I've ever met in my life. And as the most well-endowed player in the National Hockey League, he's very funny. Justin instantly nailed the character. He also turns out to have a great goalie stance."
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
charlene

I saw the movie the other night here in Sarasota..lots of 'guy humour' but quite funny in spots. Lots of 'in' jokes about Canada/hockey/music etc..
Shots of Casa Loma, the Bluffs, ACC, etc. were nice..The scene I saw them filming outside the Rogers centre was cut I guess as it wasn't in the movie..
Nice that Toronto finally won "Stanley's Cup" tho..
lol
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Jesse Joe

I haven't seen the movie yet, so Toronto wins The Stanley Cup eh !

Hows the weather in Florida Char ? Here it is very humid, July & August should see me in Quebec, Alberta and Ontario... Have to go see Matt Stairs & The Jays one weekend. Will Cito Gaston turn them around to become winners again. I hope he doesn't get rid of Stairs... You know "Les Canadiens" are very interested in Mats Sundin, that's all they talk about in Montreal Sports program ???
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
charlene

Weather here is not as humid as when we're usually here at the end of July..rain for 30 min.today..
I've been following the sports/news online..Can't believe Cito is back..I can't see Mats going to Montreal..
Justin Timberlake plays a french goalie in the movie..he has the accent down pat..too funny..and he loves Celine..
I'll be in Deep Cove, Nova Scotia in August.. apparently the horseflies are huge right now..they better be gone when I get there..
Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

I will see that movie for sure. As for Mats Sundin, remember Char he started his NHL career with the Quebec Nordics, we will see ? Dont know what to say about those horseflies !
Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Jesse Joe

Clock ticks for Sundin

Published Friday June 27th, 2008

Leafs captain continues to deliberate future

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Cliff Fletcher got a phone call from Bob Gainey yesterday.
Status quo on the Mats Sundin front, the Montreal Canadiens GM told the Toronto Maple Leafs GM.
"Bob apprised me of how the situation was going from his perspective," Fletcher said yesterday. "I appreciated the call. We'll just have to wait it out."
Waiting it out is what both the Leafs and Habs are doing right now, not to mention Sundin's own camp.
"We had lengthy discussions with Mats last night," his agent J.P. Barry of CAA Sports said yesterday. "He still hasn't decided whether or not he wants to play next year. There really isn't anything any of us can do planning-wise until Mats makes the decision to play.
"I still believe strongly that he will play next year but I have to respect his timeline regarding his decision."
Gainey and Sundin had a 30-minute phone conversation Wednesday, and while the 37-year-old star centre is impressed with Montreal's interest and has great respect for the Canadiens GM, he still wasn't ready yet to meet him face to face. Not until he decides whether or not he's going to play again.
In the meantime, the clock keeps ticking towards next Tuesday's noon ET start to free agency, at which point the Canadiens lose their exclusive negotiating rights with the Swedish star. At which point Sundin is also no longer a Maple Leaf.
"I think I have a good enough relationship with Mats and with J.P. that they'll communicate with me at their convenient time and probably giving me enough time to start planning what I have to do," said Fletcher, who also conveyed a one-year contract offer to Sundin last weekend in the neighbourhood of US$7 million.
The Leafs would like to know before Tuesday whether they're heading into free agency with an extra $7 million to spend.
"Naturally the sooner I hear what's going on, the better off we are," said Fletcher. "We have Plan A, Plan B and Plan C ready to go July 1 depending on how we feel the situation is when the gong goes off."
From the agent's perspective, the longer Sundin goes into July, the more the landscape probably changes for him.
"He knows that if he waits too long certain opportunities could disappear," said Barry. "But he just wants to be 100 per cent sure that he wants to play next year."
The Sundin saga continues to dominate the media spotlight in both Original Six cities, feeding the vast appetite for hockey coverage. It's not every day a Leafs captain has the chance to leave for rival Montreal.
Former Leafs captain and fan favourite Doug Gilmour can somewhat relate with Sundin, although he joined Montreal four years after leaving Toronto. And there were NHL stops in between in New Jersey, Chicago and Buffalo.
"The biggest thing is that our situations are totally different," Gilmour said Thursday. "But I do remember sitting there in Toronto (in 2001) negotiating with Montreal and Ottawa. I made the decision to go to Montreal. I was near the end of my career and I just wanted to help that team.
"I was very impressed with that team, the management ... they're phenomenal people."
Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
charlene

I hope Mats doesn't leave Toronto hanging..he's prone to that..that 7 mill to spend would help TO if he's not gonna stick around..for whatever reason..
Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
I will see that movie for sure. As for Mats Sundin, remember Char he started his NHL career with the Quebec Nordics, we will see ? Dont know what to say about those horseflies !
Hi Jesse Joe,

Did you see the movie yet? I celebrated the 4th of July by seeing it and just loved it (frequently lol). The "role" played by Casa Loma was too much!
But anyway, thanks for posting about it!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote