banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2000, 09:38 PM   #1
Tom

Char,
I just got my mail & got my Maxell vhs G.Lightfoot Simulcast from Toronto. WOW, its got alot of interesting stuff! I want to see the SNL song from 1976 "Summertime Dream". I haven't watched any of it yet, my father-in-law passed away & was at Funeral Home all day. My daughter borrowed "Lady & the Tramp" and put it on, so I have to wait. (I'll review it later) Thanks again for your time & devotion. And thanks to Mr. Florian Bodenseher for the generosity, and also Dan Rosati for the donation. Char, I love your letter..."The handsome young lad from Orillia left home with a dream, talent and a song in his heart". Thanks again

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 11:00 PM   #2
charlene

I am sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Please know I am thinking of you and your family at this difficult time.
I hope you enjoy the video.
Your daughter has excellent taste - Lady & the Tramp is MY fave Disney movie of all time!!!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 02:51 AM   #3
Frank v

Tom,
My condolences to you and your wife.

I would also like to thank you Char,Florian and Dan for your time, work and generosity.

19 years of wait have ended thanks to you!
This amazing site and its people......

Frank.

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 08:22 AM   #4
sundownbuff

My wonderful father-in-law passed away two years ago. There is not a day that goes buy that I don't think of him. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your famly Tom.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 12:15 PM   #5
Mary Ann

Tom,
Sorry to hear about you and your wife's recent loss.

I also wish to express my gratitude to Char who spent nearly a month for our
cause, Florian for funding our cause and Dan who supplied the envelopes to mail us our cause.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 03:32 PM   #6
Florian

Hi,

I too want to thank you, Char, for your cunning and enjoyable posts over almost a year now, and of course for all of the work you did on copying and shipping the videos.

<A Great Round Of Applause>

Thank you Char, we're blessed to have you around.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 09:46 PM   #7
Dan

Hello All,

I must put my two-cents in on Char's great tape adventure.

I just can't believe the trouble she went through to share all that great material on Gordon Lightfoot with us. She did each one individually! I think it took 7.5 hrs to do three. I don't know the exact tape count but it was approaching 30 tapes last time I checked. Char, it was so kind of you to do that for all of us who you barely know and have never met. Like I said before you are a wonderfully kind and very committed person.

When I receive my tape, not only do I get a tape but I also get a synopsis of what is on the tape and a great letter to go with it. Committed, very committed (Wes or LAMS might say you should be committed.) The letter tells me that Florian has paid for the tapes and the postage...Gee Whiz!!! Thanks Florian.

As for my small contribution, that's what it is, SMALL. I just thought if Charlene could do all she was doing for us how could I help.

I do appreciate all the kind words but the real heroes in this endeavor are Charlene and Florian.

Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 09:58 PM   #8
Tom

Thank you all for your prayers, it is appreciated. I've been watching my new Gordon vide , what can I say except as the pretty host says "...the incomparable Gordon Lightfoot..." <wild applause>

matchless
eminent beyond comparison
peerless
alone
unrivaled
supreme

Old 08-03-2000, 08:39 PM   #9
Margie

Char, Every time I watch the GL tape (which has been many since I received it) I think of your labor of love and say one more thank you in your direction. It was quite an undertaking on your part from the number of people I see that received them.

Also, Florian and Dan..thank you both for your assistance to Char, in making us all very happy Gord Lovers.

P.S. Have been reading the forums for only about 5 months, and getting to know all you regulars a little. You all amaze me with how you express yourselves about GL and his music. You all seem to put into words, exactly what I am thinking for feeling. Thank you all, I enjoy your company!!
Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 11:19 PM   #10
sundownbuff

Dear Char, Dan, and Florian,
I would also like to thank you for the wonderful tape that arrived at my home today. I spent the entire afternoon watching t several times. It is hard to believe that there are people in this world who would do such a large project for people they have never met. Thank you from the buttom of my heart. Dan, by the way, I was brought up in Eden, New York. My brother-in-law was from Hamburg. A very small world. See you Sunday?
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2000, 02:26 PM   #11
Silver Heels

Char, Florian and Dan,
I've thanked you all privately but this is publicly: thank you so much for such a fabulous gift. And it came at just the right time. I needed something special and you three gave it me. Bless you - each of you and especially our Char for all her time and dedication. What a little star she is!
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2000, 02:28 PM   #12
Silver Heels

Tom, I lost my mum recently so I know what you are going through. I am so sorry. My thoughts are truly with you and your family at this awful time.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 12:02 AM   #13
Pirate Queen

I, of course, having received my tape yesterday, need to add to this post. I am also grateful for the amount of work that went into the making of these tapes. Now to buy a postcard....
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 09:26 PM   #14
bunny

Hello
I been reading the post and everyone is taking about a vidoe I wish to know where I can get one it would be nice thanks
bye buuny
Since I will be out of town when he comes in I had it all set I was going to see him in Prescot then in Phoneix 3 day later. Oh well Please help if you can bye
Old 08-08-2000, 10:54 PM   #15
charlene

quote:Originally posted by bunny:
Hello
I been reading the post and everyone is taking about a vidoe I wish to know where I can get one it would be nice thanks
bye buuny
Since I will be out of town when he comes in I had it all set I was going to see him in Prescot then in Phoneix 3 day later. Oh well Please help if you can bye

contact me - westbrd@sprint.ca
Char

Old 08-11-2000, 09:50 PM   #16
Rob Wells

Tom,

My Sympathies. I've been married three times and saw the passing of my Father-in-law.... three times. I know where you are and some.

Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 02:04 PM   #17
Tom

Char, Thanks again for the super video. It's a keeper! I wanted to do a quick review of the MMM 7/7/99 simulcast. First of all, why is Gordon wearing a "ROCK" T-shirt? I heard him @ www.gordonlightfoot.com on a radio interview saying he finally figured out where he fits musically...ADULT CONTEMPORARY! Gordon must also like Rock and Roll!! Gordon also looks like more like himself with a mustashe:#)

I thought Jana did a fine job throughout the show(i.e. keeping her composure when the telephone caller did not respond, Gordon's short answers to questions, etc.) she seems like a Gordon Lightfoot fan too! Gordon starts the show with 3 straight songs from the SHADOWS album(i.e. 14 Karat Gold, I'll Do Anything,& In My Fashion). Gordon sings a total of 16 songs, and received 4 standing ovations(If You Could Read My Mind, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Song For a Winter's Night, & Baby Step Back). He was in fine voice for the show and seemed to be comfortable in the spotlight. My Top 3 favorites from the show are:

1. I'll Do Anything (could listen to this version 100x and not get tired of it!)
2. Never Too Close (I always thought the lyrics were "...we men don't want no harm" instead of "...we meant no one no harm")
3. In My Fashion (how can you NOT like this one if Gordon himself calls it his favorite song to sing?)
They are all really good, sounding like studio masters.

The most fasinating part of the video for me is "Summertime Dream" from Saturday Night Live in 1976. Classic Gordon! Terry Clements looked so young with his long hair! Gordon looks real country wearing a polka-dot shirt with suspenders! He has on a pair of blue jeans with a "red rose" painted on them (My 9 yr old said he looks like the guy in "Waterboy"; I said he looks like a farmer!) It sometimes sounds like Gordon is singing with a lisp during this song??

Heart of Gold is also very interesting early Gordon lightfoot in B&W. He sings "Mary Ann" with another singer(known as the "Two-Timers")lol Gordon looks the coolest in the red velvet suit when he is interviewed by his piano.

Next, the "Genie Awards" from 1983 Gordon sings "My Love For You". I apologize to the people out there who like this song, but it just didn't work for me. Gordon looked horrible with lots of make-up, formal clothes, etc. I know it says in SONGBOOK that he kicked his drinking habit around that time, so maybe he was going thru withdrawals??

Northern Lights "Tears Are Not Enough" is kind of hokey for me...I know its for a good cause, but it just seems kinda phoney and contrived. Gord's opening is the best part of the song.

Canada's Country Gold 2/1992 Gord does an outstanding take of "I'll Tag Along"!

Gordon really sounds good in the Family Farm Tribute in Toronto 1/2000. "If You Could Read My Mind" "CRT" Great!! Burton Cummings sounds good too!

Thanks again for all the hard work Char, it it is a treasure chest of memories.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old 08-13-2000, 11:11 PM   #18
charlene

Gord has a slight lisp still - very slight but it was more pronounced when he was a very young man and I imagine as a child. I have seen other shows of him speaking at age 30 and it isn't a lisp such as an "S" sounding like "TH". It's more like a bit of a slur on the "S" sounds - a hiss if you will.
It's not as pronounced now, if at all, most of the time.
Char