banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
Jesse Joe

Posted by Auburn Annie:

"I'm sure NASA is grateful for the distraction."

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>> >>>>

How right you are Annie, right on! It constantly changes. One week, Trump & Rosie, then the Astronaut story, now Anna Nicole...

What next?? Maybe something STRANGE will happen tonight at The Grammy's.

Very well put Annie it caught my attention, right away...

[ February 11, 2007, 16:18: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Old 02-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #27
Borderstone

Interesting articlew Annie. She sure doesn't look her age!

Talking of Vanderbilt has made me recall Gilda Radner one night on SNL as "Roseanne Rosanna-Dana",reporting how she witnessed Gloria Vanderbilt at a fashion show trying to scratch her "posterior" by rubbing up against a stair railing! :D

Roseanne (Radner) said she pulled her hairbrush out of her purse,hands it to Vanderbilt & says,"Here,Gloria!! Have yourself a field day!! :D LOL!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #28
Dream Street Rose

Hi Borderstone,

You have a great memory and know so much about music. I loved watching the old SNL. I think I will go on line and order some dvds.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
Borderstone

Hey Jess,I didn't watch the Grammys but I wnet by it and saw The Doors get a "lifetime acheivment award".
It's nice that they "finally" got one but none of the remaining members were asked onstage to accept it!

Unless they didn't want to go up? Nothing like watching two of todays top acts talking about an act from before their time. :D Pink & "T.I." wasn't it?

When I get back to work Rose (and get a great enugh job,I might do that myself,more like the "best of's" though.

"It's always somethin'!" :D
Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #30
Jesse Joe

The Grammys were all right B,Stone. Im watching ET(Canada) right now, there showing clips, The Police started it off with Roxanne. Shakira struted her stuff, :D and a fellow maritimer won one for songwriting, I beleive...

Gordie Sampson is his name. He's doing pretty good for himself. He's from Nova-Scotia, great songwriter.

Not as interesting as maybe The Grammys in the 70's.

Gord of course you know never won one, but has 5 Grammy Nomination...

The Doors were awesome in there prime. Jim Morrison, another one who died too young. It's a shame...

[ February 12, 2007, 18:04: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #31
Auburn Annie

Hey, B, there was only one of The Doors there to accept:

Doors guitarist Robby Krieger was the sole member to appear at the Wilshire Ebell Theater in Los Angeles, although family members of late singer Jim Morrison were on hand. John Densmore, the band's drummer, thanked the academy in a videotaped message, during which he recited Morrison's "American Prayer" poem.

Krieger said Morrison would have been proud. "People think he was anti-establishment, but in reality he wanted to be bigger than the Beatles. He would be very honored," Krieger said.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #32
Gitchigumee

I will say that I didn't read all the posts, just the first one.

I agree, she was a human being like us all, and it is a tragedy. Her poor little baby girl, I hope they find the true father and he brings her up right.

Anna was, in my opinion, exceptionally pretty and exceptionally troubled, and I believe she died of a broken heart following her son's tragic death. I wish the media would leave her alone.

Rest in Peace, Anna Nicole...
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #33
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Gloria Vanderbilt is most likely living somewhere's quiet and is glad the spotlight is not on her anymore.
Did you guys know that Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son??? I can't remember if he's on CNN or ABC.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #34
Auburn Annie

CNN
Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #35
ELizabeth

Re:the Doors Lifetime Award...wasn't Ray Manzerek (sp.?)the Doors keyboardist there? He is certainly alive.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #36
Borderstone

Elizabeth,all 3 remaining "Doors" are alive & well 35 & 1/2 years after Morrison "checked out".

As Annie said,drummer John Densmore spoke via video-tape (guess I tuned out too soon). Bobby Kreiger was in the audience.

Annie,I think all musicians back then wanted to be bigger than the Beatles but just like the movie Highlander states,"There can be only one". (That big that is.)

I just couldn't believe they didn't already have that award. Billy Joel got his before they did.

Gitch,I think when a person feels the need to receive that much attention because they didn't have it before,their mind is already emotionally gone.

While I was sad that she didn't surpass Monroe's age in life,I wasn't completely surprised when I heard the news. She stated in early interviews she idolized Marylin Monroe,to which I said to myself "Uh-oh".

It's like when Chis Farley mentioned he idolized John Belushi. Although I thought given what happened to John,Chris would have been more sensible.

Personally,I feel that's why I never really "idolized" anybody after childhood. I enjoyed the entetainment thecomedians,singers & actors gave,when I was a teen but I never placed them on a higher pedestal than they should be.

Not even Gordon or Mariah.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #37
ELizabeth

Borderstone, do either you or Annie know if Ray Manzerek was in the audience? I can't imagine he would blow-off any award for the Doors.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #38
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by ELizabeth:
Borderstone, do either you or Annie know if Ray Manzerek was in the audience? I can't imagine he would blow-off any award for the Doors.
I feel sure that I remember correctly that when they announced the award to the Doors the camera was on a part of the sudience front row and two ex-Doors stood up not just one, of course I could have been dreaming?? nd I can't swear to it (damn!!) but I think possibly one of the two WAS identified as Ray Manzerek
I still have somewhere on a videotape a recording of the 1991 film "The Doors" with Val Kilmer

Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison on the cover of a 1991 issue of Esquire Magazine

in one review on IMDB
http://imdb.com/title/tt0101761/
I read
"This film is truly a gem. The Doors is easily the best film of the rock n' roll genre"
I certtainly remember it as being pretty good so must dig it out (I recorded it from UK television so I will have to hook up my UK PAL 240-volt VCR to a voltage converter and my digital converter to play it through an NTSC television set)

[ February 15, 2007, 10:55: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 02-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #39
Borderstone

I saw "The Doors" the day it was released to theatres in March of 1991. Very 1st showing 11am.

In fact,I'm right down the street (couple hundred yards) from where the AMC building used to be,where I saw it. That building is now housing a Petsmart/Bed,Bath & Beyond and a Cingular Wireless store.

It was mesmerizig to watch Val Kilmer as Morrison,it actually felt like I'd walked through a hole in time and landed in the late 60's and was personally seeing Jim Morrsion in person.

In 2001 Val K. hosted SNL w/ musical guests "U2". Bono while singing "Elevation" walked over to V.K. and said/sang the words "Light my Fire".

(It's amazing how we always end up off topic in these threads isn't it? ).
Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #40
Moosedog

Anytime a thread goes off topic, in the direction of Val Kilmer, is just FINE with me.
:D

Vickie
Old 03-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #41
Borderstone

Well,getting back on topic...she's finally been laid to rest. So as far as I'm concerned that's the end of it for me.

Those still interested in the dealings and arguemnets of those "closest" to her can watch & listen to that all they want.

Anna is in a peaceful place and that's all that matters now.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #42
brink-

I am really happy that she is finally buried, and where she wanted to be.
Vergie Arthur should have stayed under her rock.
I hope they figure out who the dad is - that is where the baby should be, not with the grandmother (sorry Misty).
Old 03-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #43
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I received an intriguing google alert for GL today and did a double take when I read the following:-
"As the cause of Anna Nicole Smith’s death is disclosed, the ...
The Herald-Times (subscription) - Bloomington,IN,USA
The Ontario-born Smith, a former backup singer with Gordon Lightfoot and Hoyt Axton, served 18 months of a three-year
sentence in a California jail."
Unfortunately the paper is one of those stoopid self-important ones that only let you see their full article if you pay for the privelage ,so annoyingly I was unable to read the whole thing, but on the face of it they seemed to be saying that Anna Nickers was not only born in Toronto but sang with Gord!
I found this hard to believe but then when I clicked the provided link I reached:-
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sto....qp-525703.sto
where I was invited to subscribe and where the full headline reads:-
"As the cause of Anna Nicole Smith’s death is disclosed, the ‘coroner to the stars’ discusses some high-profile cases that have come before."
so I guess the "Smith" they are referring to is not the recently departed one but the other Smith (Connie).All pretty confusing methinks
and such a common name ! Another mystery if Vickie Lynn Hogan born in Houston in 1967 disliked her name and wanted something
better for her professional purposes why on earth did she choose Smith as her surname??
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #44
Dream Street Rose

Yes Sir John,

There are a few names as commom an "Smith", but not very many. I feel sorry for anyone involved. To lose someone they cared about in this way is so very sad.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #45
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

John. It's Cathy Smith, methinks.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #46
Fitzy

It is so nice to hear a group of folks that feel as I do. Sometimes I think I truly think different than the rest. I am glad to have a place where others see things similarly. I feel and felt prior to her death that any time I saw something regarding her or her life that she looked so vulnerable. Even in something she was doing that was extreme, or what appeared to be crazy I felt there was so much more going on than just her flashing. As we all know you do those things for a reason way beyond just flashing the audience at the grammys. I always found watching painful. Many times I could not. I see all these people clammering around for what reason I do not know, but noone stepped in to help when she was here. So do not try to look like a hero now. Does that make sense? Peace has been bestowed upon her now by something bigger and better than us, and someone stepped in and handled the situation properly. To me leaving this world is like getting out of one car and into another. John Lennons' quote. I believe that. May we all of us here if this is the topic speak kindly and considerately. Thanx for the topic.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #47
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy:
I see all these people clammering around for what reason I do not know, but noone stepped in to help when she was here.
Unless you were there, I'm not sure that is a fair appraisal. I'm a bit of an existentialist when it comes to matters like this. Very few of us are truly victims, and therefore we should be held accountable for our choices. I do not believe she was a victim, and was fully capable of knowing right from wrong and the consequences of the lifestyle she chose.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #48
Fitzy

I so get your reply, we are all responsible for our own happiness, but if you have never had an understanding of what hppiness is you do become vulnerable. It frankly made me sad the whole scenario. Where is help when you need it. How amazing people are coming out of the woodwork now. Saddens me. She had many, but what is many if noone is something to you. Does that make sense?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #49
brink-

She had help, she had gone to rehab. With addicts it does at some time get to the point where you have to tell them: you want a helping hand? it is at the end of your arm. Meaning you can't help someone who won't help themselves.
It is nobody else's fault. People have to take responsibility for their own actions. You hear it so often these days - it wasn't my fault, I was beaten, yelled at, not the favorite child, poor, white, red, black, purple or orange, my mother didn't marry my dad - whatever there is a litany of excuses that people use. I'm with Ron on this, she wasn't stupid.....she could have taken care of herself and she should have.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #50
Fitzy

You are so right, although I do not believe it is that easy. It is easy for us that have taken the appropriate steps to heal ourselves at 45 years old, where does that wisdom kick in, it is so easy to judge far be it for me to know what path another walks. Please do not look at my path. I believe it is so easy to point the finger.
Closed Thread