banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
T.G.

Default Video - Art Bell Interviews Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW5iAoSh4bk

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Video - Art Bell Interviews Gordon

from 1999.... @4:20 mark...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Rob1956

Art is currently in the hospital battling pneumonia and other COPD related issues. Lots of antibiotics going into him. Keep him in your prayers.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
charlene

Art Bell has died. https://www.forbes.com/sites/russesp.../#697369d579a1
Radio host Art Bell has died at the age of 72, according to multiple sources. If the name itself doesn't ring a bell, then his voice and legacy as the longtime host of "Coast to Coast AM" will. Anyone who's flipped around the dials in the dead of night has landed on Bell's program at one time or another. The show was gripping for the measured, and potentially earnest, crackpot messaging it beamed across the fruited plain with its bizarre conspiratorial and paranormal-themed theories.

True to most radio lifers, Bell's robust--and a bit professorial--voice was not only custom-made for the medium, but especially the inky, barren time of day it commanded the airwaves. Whether driving under the stars on an empty rustbelt highway or in need of a faraway company on a lonely night, Bell's "Coast to Coast AM" made for a compelling and fairly unsettling companion.

At the height of its syndication in the '90s, the show could be found on roughly 500 North American radio stations, with its broadcast originating from KNYE 95.1 FM in Bell's remote hometown of Pahrump, Nevada.

Bell retired several times in his career and left "Coast to Coast" for good in 2010; since then, the show's hosting duties have been split between radio personalities George Noory and George Knapp. Bell resurfaced in 2013 on SiriusXM satellite radio as host of a new, yet short-lived program; but of his many accomplishments in a long and distinguished career in radio, his most impressive feat might've occurred when he once set a Guinness World Record for "broadcasting solo" for 116 straight hours at a station in Okinawa, Japan.

Though his format was what could be called niche at best for its service as an idea mill for ostensibly harmless weirdos, Bell had the respect of his peers as a true radio pro by virtue of being inducted into the Nevada Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame in 2006 and the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2008.

Theories espoused and discussed at length on "Coast to Coast" covered it all under Bell's direction: From wild reports of strange, crypto-zoological marvels lurking in the wilderness, to accounts of bizarre flashes in the night sky suggesting unidentified flying objects; to unnerving segments discussing the supposed existence of shadowy global organizations and their latent menace. Bell presided over all of it and more, running the technical board for his show and establishing and nurturing a close bond with his legion of nocturnal listeners.

"It's my life, and that's all I have ever done," Bell once said of his career in radio. "I went through a lot of family problems, so that interrupted things, and I was overseas four years"--serving as medic during the Vietnam War. "[But] I went back into radio because I love it."

Bell played himself, or alternately fictional versions of himself, in several appearances on film and television; featuring in the 2007 series Dark Skies, as well as numerous documentaries commenting on a range of topics, including the illuminati, UFOS and aliens--to name just a few throughout his decades of unique broadcasting excellence.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
charlene

http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2018...ll-dies-at-72/
Old 04-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
Rob1956

RIP, Art. I would listen to his show almost every night. At one point in the '90s you could scan across the AM radio dial late at night and hear the show coming in from stations all over the country. I never believed any of what I was hearing, but it was just good, plain fun.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
BendRick

Yes I listened to his radio show every night since about 1996. Up until 2006 then I lost interest. Some of his material was actually based in fact, some not. That's why it was fun to listen to both sides. It's possible I converted to atheism because of his show, listening to those atheist guests.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

I just clicked on this thread to see why it had been revived. Ahh, man.

RIP Mr Bell. I did listen to him a fair amount during late nite travel back in the day. I always thought that Art gave every guest a fair hearing, he was smart and respectful and even when he made pointed comments it never was in an confrontational manner. Years before, I remember listening to Larry King back before he jumped to TV and Art reminded me of him, but better. A real Pro, always.