banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
fowlesjohn

If Gord could do any other artists' work (besides what he has previously done) who do you think he would like to do...this is not an opinion question, if you like Gord so much, knowing his style and music, who would he cover? Could he do other songs from "Even Steven", and if so which ones?
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
gwen snyder

If Gord could do any other artists' work (besides what he has previously done) who do you think he would like to do...this is not an opinion question, if you like Gord so much, knowing his style and music, who would he cover? Could he do other songs from "Even Steven", and if so which ones?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Lil Hoov

David Gates (from Bread), wrote some songs which I think Gord would do a nice job on.Also, I can imagine Gord singing a Harry Chapin song or two,like; Remember When The Music, or Old College Avenue.. Randy
Old 08-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Lil Hoov

David Gates (from Bread), wrote some songs which I think Gord would do a nice job on.Also, I can imagine Gord singing a Harry Chapin song or two,like; Remember When The Music, or Old College Avenue.. Randy
Old 08-25-2003, 02:42 PM   #5
Carlos

I like his cover of Bob Dylan's "Ring them bells" an awful lot, but dislike his covers of country music (no matter who the songwriter was), so I guess I'd have to go with Dylan all the way!
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 02:42 PM   #6
shustad

I like his cover of Bob Dylan's "Ring them bells" an awful lot, but dislike his covers of country music (no matter who the songwriter was), so I guess I'd have to go with Dylan all the way!
shustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
joveski

yep, the Ring Them Bells cover is a great one. it sounds similar to the dylan version apart from it being more guitar based whereas bob's version is more of a piano tune.

the cover of tom thumbs blues from 65 is also different but still has the effect.

they were and still are good friends to this day - of course the story goes that bob neraly set gordon's house on fire when they had a party there in 1975 when gordon joined the rolling thunder review. and dylan presented gord with the juno award in 1986. bob also did a really good version of I'm not supposed to care in concert back in 199
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #8
Borderstone

I'd like a Gord version of,"Morning Has Broken" and "Oh,Very Young" by Cat Stevens. On the more amusing side,I'd like to hear him attempt,"Stuck In The Middle With You" by Gerry Rafferty & The Stealer's Wheel. Or,how about John Denver's,"Fly Away" and Harry Chapin's,"Saturday Morning"? Of course I think just about any song of that period would be done well by him. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited August 25, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #9
fowlesjohn

yeah, he did an excellent job on "ring them bells", didn't he? what about a Tori Amos song? Does anyone think he might enjoy her level of music?
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #10
gwen snyder

yeah, he did an excellent job on "ring them bells", didn't he? what about a Tori Amos song? Does anyone think he might enjoy her level of music?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:11 PM   #11
Borderstone

I think he could. Maybe her hit,"Raspberry Swirl." I know he wouldn't do her song,"God". It's not exactly complimentary. I have the single,it wasn't a hit for that reason. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote