banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #26
Barry Shanley

Good point, David. The subtle things he does are part of his mistique. He's a classy performer.
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
marc in maine

Good point, David. The subtle things he does are part of his mistique. He's a classy performer.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #28
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
Just like this eh?
YES!!!!!

I have the 2-CD set UA Collection (one of my most cherished; I really do gravitate a lot to his earlier stuff) and there are 2 pictures of him on the inside sleeve, one is a nice clear head shot of him smiling, and in the other he is sitting on what looks to be a large rock; he is holding his guitar and his face is tilted upwards and he is smiling again. They are both beautiful, charming pictures and he looks so young and yet to be touched by fame.

<sigh> People don't take pictures like that anymore, simple and without pretense.

Anyway I know most people picture Gordon early to mid 70's with the unruly curls and slightly scruffy appearance, which worked well for him also, but when I listen to Long River or 16 Miles to Seven Lakes I picture that clean cut young man with the swept back hair
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #29
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

1974 . My Sophomore year in High school. Bought my first - Sundown. I will always visualize Gord that way, the way I liked to dress, too, Jeans.
At 16 My beard came in full and I tried so hard to look like him....for the women you know...LOL

But mom and Dad balked at the hair salon thing - I found I'd have to get a "perm" and refused on general manhood paranoid rules of youth ! haha

I loved the imagery in the album, listening to it as Autumn was in full Ohio tilt - we moved to Colorado the next summer when Dad retired from NASA. I grew to love this album for that imagery,then discovered DQ, then COTS, it just kept getting better and better.

In my senior year in Colorado in '76, GG1 and Summertime Dream came out, the Wreck was #1, and I too loved the new version of Song For a Winter's Night in the Winter up at my folks house at near 10,000 feet in the Rockies, several feet of snow through the winter.

It all made the songs imagery more powerful. I loved the last great year of orchestration IMHO on GG1 and redo of CRT, still reveling in Beautiful, and all the songs I connected with different girlfriends, etc. After I thought girlfriends were all aplyed out.. and I was a sad sack..... fast-fwd to , oh.....1980, and I met my wife-to-be Merry at the same time DSR came out, and I listened to Make Way For The Lady after meeting her over and over..... memories

I continued to go back to Sundown for :
* Is There Anyone Home - Ohio imagery in Fall
* Seven Island Suite "
* Too Late For Prayin' "
* Circle of Steel " - Winter
* Sundown & Watchman's Gone - defining songs
incredible orchestration - loved it in headphones - the old heavy ones,

In short, including IYCRMM, 1970 - 1976 defined Lightfoot for me. I attached each song to the great human tragedies of adolescence - girlfriends, firsts of everything, loves lost,
football games in the fall, snowmelt and our 4wd road out in the Colorado spring - so many memories. GG1 dated Cristmas 1976 foreever for me. Christmas in the Rockies. I got a Hudson's Bay Blanket and a Yamaha Classical Guitar.

Then Restless from Waiting For You,
and The whole album Painter started it all over for me again....... more another time

- geo steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
GoofyGurl

1976. The picture on "Summertime Dream" l.p. is the best. The moustache and cigarette - just looks real cool. Had Gord sign it personally for me a few years ago because it was actually the first Gord l.p. I ever bought.
Also like the picture on "East of Midnight" looking so suave. Also had him sign this one. He told me,"I travelled all the way to New York (City) for that picture. I actually look civilized in this one!"
GoofyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #31
Kelly Davis

1976. The picture on "Summertime Dream" l.p. is the best. The moustache and cigarette - just looks real cool. Had Gord sign it personally for me a few years ago because it was actually the first Gord l.p. I ever bought.
Also like the picture on "East of Midnight" looking so suave. Also had him sign this one. He told me,"I travelled all the way to New York (City) for that picture. I actually look civilized in this one!"
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #32
RussWig

Send a message via AIM to RussWig

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Davis:
I had to look that one up on the internet and I have to say that is one very good photo but I think I prefer the less "civilized" GL, unruly curls, scruffy beard and all

This is one silly conversation I started, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #33
My Name is Ann

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Davis:
I had to look that one up on the internet and I have to say that is one very good photo but I think I prefer the less "civilized" GL, unruly curls, scruffy beard and all

This is one silly conversation I started, isn't it?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #34
GoofyGurl

Silly??? Not at all. Gord's our favorite topic, right?
Going to see him on Sept. 23rd in Aurora. Taking my whole family. Can't wait.
GoofyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #35
Kelly Davis

Silly??? Not at all. Gord's our favorite topic, right?
Going to see him on Sept. 23rd in Aurora. Taking my whole family. Can't wait.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #36
MistyMoppens

Default Re: When you think of GL - what year do you visualize?

1976 and 1987-88
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote