banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
jj

Default Interview video - 39 years ago

39 years ago, yesterday

https://vimeo.com/89646972

used to watch this when we came home from school at lunch
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: Interview video - 39 years ago

Since I a was a 15 or so...nearly 40 years now, Gord has been a major hero of mine. And while many peoples' heroes have fallen from grace, or the luster has tarnished as you know more of what goes on behind the public veneer...Gord long ago taught me the lesson that is is normal, proper, and altogether admirable to be flawed, have weaknesses, make mistakes, be awkward...all that stuff. THAT has made him more of a hero than he could have ever been as a flawless veneer of a celebrity. He's the cool geek, the guy who has been at times irascible, ornery, aloof, shy, mean, generous, smooth, and uber talented.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
dray7austin

Great video jj! Wow! Thank you for posting.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Rob1956

This video has been posted here before. It always makes me wince. Professionally, Gord was at the peak of his game, personally, at least on this interview, he comes across as an a-hole.
I say that because it appears he didn't give a crap about being on time, saying he just got up. Did he even take a shower? That being said, I treasure this video because, well, just compare it to the absolute gentleman he's become in the intervening years. He's done a complete 180. The last many years has seen him be extremely gracious, self deprecating, and a true good guy. What is the old saying, something like "life is lost on the young". Gord wasn't THAT young in the above interview, what...35 or 36? But it shows he's grown comfortable in his own skin. Ageing sucks. You become a great person, but the time grows short. One of the great dilemmas of life.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
jj

glad you enjoyed (and any other new folk), David… I'd have been watching that on rabbit ears when I'd come home from class to eat my lunchtime soup. Wish I could see that time he guested with Elwood 8 years earlier

this video was just uploaded… yeah, the interview has been around many years

I think an unappealing chunk of Gord's presence disappeared when the whiskey did… but it was also the fuel which seemed to drive his prime songwriting era

i'm trying to think of my favourite compositions in the post Shadows era.

Restless, likely at the top of the list
jj is offline   Reply With Quote