banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #26
Sydney Steve

Ummm.... no...

<*In the light of this wishes he entered in the slightly more prestigious category of "Most unintelligible post" * >
Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #27
RM

Sidney Steve,

I meant no offense. Congratulations again !

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #28
rickv

Chauvinistic? Maybe, but the song isn't gender specific is it?
rickv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:27 AM   #29
mercedes

Though I’m normally reluctant to participate in discussions concerning the intent behind lyrics I did not write, I do know this song well, if only having listened to it so often in younger days.

It has never come across to me as chauvinistic … but if one were to draw that conclusion and assume that the emotions were tied to attitudes from men TO women, I can appreciate the sentiment … i.e. “There you go, you cried again” … it is hard to imagine how that line (alone) sounds in the least bit convincing if it was directed toward a male audience.

I hasten to add by a female .... then again and these days …..

I will never think of the lyrics as anything other than “protected arrogance” … something one might say, write or think …. for a defence against a perceived personal attack that might never take place.

Therein lies my dislike of reading liner notes …. don’t break your silence, don’t betray my beliefs or understanding of what emotions played part in either your head whilst composing the song, or in mine when I felt compelled to purchase it .....

Just tell me if I ask you.

Mike

[ July 09, 2006, 11:18: Message edited by: Mike Dixon ]
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #30
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Sydney Steve - LOL you are in no danger of winning the dubious award of "overly verbose, tedious, and lengthy" posts ! I believe I am at least a strong contender in that, a lot in this one, but less in general lately than historically !

For what its worth, despite my posts growing somewhat more succinct here and there.... I've had nothing but very kind notes sent regarding my longer posts.

Exceptions to that in open forum were rare; the few complaints I had while especially re-learning my typing reflected far worse of the sender with the thread participants, generally speaking. I enjoyed your "longer post" ! LOL your self-deprecating humour is not lost...

Another tack historically, for what its worth on the meaning of chauvinistic, I vaguely recalled from school the source being a man named Chauvin, whom I anticipated would have been a big womanizer when I looked it up. Quite the opposite..hoowee to wit

-------------------------------------------------
following verbatim from Wikipedia: [historical]
-------------------------------------------------
Nicolas Chauvin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nicolas Chauvin (possibly b. Rochefort, France, c. 1790) was a semi-mythical soldier and patriot who served in the First Army of the French Republic and subsequently in La Grande Armee of Napoleon Bonaparte. His name is the origin of the term chauvinism.
----------------------------------end Wikipedia

It [Wikipedia] goes on to explain that the term came to be used as a person of excessive nationalism or mis-placed patriotism. He also was a fervent, sycophantic follower who idolized Napolean.

So, the word's historical definition [denotation] was not one of disdain and user/abuser of women per se ,but a term later attributed to political excess and generally considered pejorative from the start, it would appear.

However, its current [connotation] seems to be highly variable gauging from all the above responses ! LOL Clearly though its usage has undergone spontaneous mutagenesis to reflect a false sense of male superiority as I read it.

My opinion JJ: Given that in so much modern pop music you can't even distinguish the lyrics enought to begin debating the merit, I applaud GL's lyrics being intelligable, if not ALWAYS admirable (who is ?). Yes, I think [the lyrics] are chauvinistic, not Gord.

I'd simply point out to augment the songbook comment by GL a mention he made of it in concert I attended in Denver, almost apologetically to the audience, while obviously amused by the over-examination of what could be an entirely fictitious scenario [i.e. are we to assume all songs are about Lightfoot when not explicity so ?] :

- paraphrasing "this was in my early days and is clearly chauvinistic in nature, but was simply [about] a temporary less-than-admirable fleeting thought that became a [good] song".

He added "I do NOT feel this way about women, perhaps I did a few times back then, but this song is NOT based on an experience of mine, but I s'pose could 'a been [self-deprecating grin and utterings while audience laughed].

[again, to best of my memory] he continued "BUT... I like to play it now with the contrasting more admirable take I s'pose of "Did She Mention My Name" following [explaining then how how a young man full of pi** and vinegar in the 1st song could change over time to the more gentlemanly approach toward woman in the 2nd song, and hence how he liked to tempor the excesses of the 1st with the 2nd in the medley].

So, while apparently not autobiographical from those comments alone at that concert, he still felt it of value to make clear his own evolution of growing respect for women over the years by forming the medley. But, he was not overly concerned about it..as in "its just a SONG" ...

I think as fans of his, we are typically accustomed to his songs being more than just enjoyable little ditties you can whistle, but rather genuine works of art and poetry. Once in awhile, however, it seems he is posessed of writing a song that is in fact the former.[why not?].. and fun to him he said, which is cool with me....

And Jessie-Joe - I think Gloria meant a slightly different way regarding mid-70'S GL than you did when you agreed somewhat. - Gloria: meant tastefully in the best of ways, and Jessie: all in good fun

So Sydney, I have relieved you I think of the burden in this thread anyway of the longest post distinction you had the good nature to mention ...but my goal was not that [to best you]at all...LOL. Rather, to communicate what I thought of the subject at hand...and in neat little paragraphs !

Rickv - good point, I don't recall it being gender specific.
geo Steve

[ July 09, 2006, 06:44: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #31
geodeticman

Mike - you make a good point - your comment about it being "protected arrogance" best reflects what I heard and recall for the most part what Gord said in that concert.

GL also mentioned it was meant as a form of "false bravado or machismo" - and... that he meant it to be a story of the man trying to protect his own feelings, embarrassed by himself for really BEING attached to her and saying half-heartedly "I don't really care anyway, you shouldn't either.. [e.g. yeah that's it that's the ticket].." . I think you pegged it in that aspect at least.
- geo Steve
Old 07-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #32
Jesse Joe

GeoSteve, from what you have contributed to this post. From a sweet love in, "Did She Mention My Name," to the (chauvinistic or not} of ,"For Lovin Me." I think most of us would agree, that he sure can write them...A Poet Genius, no matter what is the subject of the song. He is the best...JJ.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #33
geodeticman

JessieJoe - thanks you for the [compliment?]!

You sure are right there, friend - on GL being able to write them, no matter the take on any one given song at any one time.

He is IMHO a Poet Laureate in his own right, and a magical musician on top of the deal.

We so often say these things that seem best understood and shared by die-hard fans, that they functionally transcend opinion on our common love of the man's music, that they approach becoming truisms- generally accepted by fans as a "given" .

But then, if we agreed on everything, there would be nothing to write about in this forum, for which I am greatful.

I feel that in this world that all too often leans too much towards blase, and tends to engender a laissez-fairre mentality, that GL's music stands out as moments of grace, dignity, and beauty.

For what may be a minute - on the radio, or CD in the car, for an hour at home by the fire with your wife or S.O. at your side, or for that rare 2+ hours in concert we count the days to it seems, my wife and I get something increasingly special when we listen.

See, since I was a teenager, I originally idolized Gordon Lightfoot, wanted to be just like him, you know how teens think. Over time, as I grew up, I learned he was... human, with frailties, imperfections, challenges, troubles, bills to pay, kids to teach life too before we've got it figured out yet, much the same as we learn over time our parents are human too.

And yet there remains something special, as I said above...- those few minutes, maybe an hour or two, of that special feeling Gord gives us to transcend the mundane and often parochial day-to-day trappings "mister hoot-n-holler, gotta make a dollar"...

As Gord put even this best, perhaps unknowingly in its full extent - in the song "Is There Anyone Home", the followingif memory serves)- "don't be ashamed if you get a warmth in your heart... you got that feelin' in your soul" - That elusive but very real "Lightfoot feeling" .

Thanks - geo Steve
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #34
Jesse Joe

Very very well written, Geo Steve. Myself I idolized him, still do today, but its like you perfectly stated, he is human, with imperfections, challenges , bills to pay, etc. We are all humans, fighting the same battles.

It's John Mellencamp that said it best, in an interview in the 80's. He said "Ive been real poor, and now I have a little bit of money. But Money is not gone a solve your problems, Pays you phone bill. But whichever problems you have are with in your head and you heart, and money is not gone a solve that."

You write, he is {IHMO?} a Poet Laureat in his own right, A magical musician. The later one I had never heard before. Well put my friend, can I steal it from you? I will use it from now on. A Magical Musician... I love it...Jesse.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #35
RM

Jesse-Joe,

Your sentiments jarred this memory of an interview with John Hartford about the writing of "Gentle on My Mind". The interviewer notes that Hartford could retire and live comfortably with the proceeds from that song alone. To which Hartford replied, "Financially, yes. But not mentally or spiritually".

RMD
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #36
Jesse Joe

Exactly RMD! Same as the Mellencamp interview, is what your telling me here right? Money pays the bills, but mentally or spiritualy as you say,All the money in the world ain't gone a solve those problems.

Money is a very big necessity, but there are people with lots of money that end up killing themselves. Mind you also many poor people end up the same way. Is this what you meant RMD?...Jesse.

[ July 10, 2006, 07:26: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #37
Borderstone

The song "needs" to be gender specific?

Are you implying Gordon isn't talking about a woman??! I think it's pretty safe to say he is and yes it is a chauvanistic thing (whether you are a man or a woman) to imply that you'll overcome a break-up better than they will.

Not to mention telling that person,"I've got a 100 more like you".

Or..."Everything you had is gone,as you can see" ...
and,"Someday when your poor heart is on the mend,I just might pass this way again".

In other words,I'll continue to make you miserable?! It's usually guys that do things like that,women do to,but it's usually the male.

These are pretty pathetic things for anyone to say to another,after sharing a close relationship.
Talk about doing anything to feel superior!

[ July 09, 2006, 15:47: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #38
RM

Jesse-Joe,

About people killing themselves ?...no.

Just kidding. I was just offering an affirmation of the thoughts that were expressed in the Mellencamp interview. The Hartford interview has just stayed in my memory. As the Beatles said "Can't Buy Me Love".

RMD
Old 07-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #39
rickv

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
The song "needs" to be gender specific?
I mean the lyrics aren't gender specific. A female could sing the song and the meaning would remain the same.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #40
Jesse Joe

Borderstone, Gordon is definitly talking about a woman for sure. I was just answering a point that Geo Steve had said, about Lightfoot being like the rest of us, having bills to pay, etc . Go up a few posts and read what he's typed.

RMD, yes that's exactly what I was trying to find out from you. Bottom line is that famous Beatles song, "Can't Buy Me Love." The suicide thing , I took it a litle further. Sorry for that...Jesse.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #41
rickv

I didn't mean to imply he's talking about a man! I'm merely saying the song isn't an attack on the female gender. In that sense it is not chauvinistic. You could make the case that it's glorifying promiscuity!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #42
Janice

I believe as RMD does that the song is with regard to a past relationship, not the present or future. I also tend to go more with idea that the narrator is a bit cocky, even arrogant, but not necessarily chauvinistic. (whether this cockiness is overcompensation for self-doubt, as arrogance sometimes can be, is a-whole-nother can of worms) OK, still not a flattering trait, but there is a difference. Notice I used the term "narrator" - that's because I don't believe that every song that Lightfoot has written or will write is autobiographical. There are times when songwriters write songs that have nothing to do with themselves, their loved ones, or anyone they know - sometimes they just write a song.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #43
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Chauvinism to a point isn't that bad. Getting over a breakup is one thing, but when it comes to thinking you can do women like that any time you want to, THEN it's out of hand.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #44
LSH

It has always come across as a self protective type attitude to me...I'll hurt you before you can hurt me...and the further I can drive you away, the less chance there is that you will hurt me...
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #45
RM

Janice,

Your use of the word "arrogant" was interesting.

This has been a very fascinating exercise. I will never hear the song as I did before. I think that's a good thing.

RMD
Old 07-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #46
geodeticman

Janice -

I touched on the same idea you had in the third to last paragraph in the first longer post of mine higher up. I think we are the same wavelength here. I've always thought GL does at times just right songs that are (to borrow my words up higher) enjoyable little ditties to whistle [ versus autobiograhpical songs as you said] - I agree and believe he does both

- geo Steve
Old 07-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #47
geodeticman

Jessie-Joe

Thank you. Very kind words.

geo Steve
Old 07-10-2006, 07:24 AM   #48
Jesse Joe

Very much welcome, GeoSteve, when they are deserving there's no need for thank yousss...Jesse.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #49
RM

Janice,

Revisiting your post, and the thoughts expressed by Geo Steve, I just wanted to add this. Having dabbled in songwriting, I can certainly vouch for the fact that one's songs may be construed as autobiographical. As Kris Kristofferson once penned, "partly truth, and partly fiction". Which is which ?
Only I know, and I'm not talking.

RMD
Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 AM   #50
Janice

I never said nor meant to imply that songs are never autobiographical, just that they don't always have to be and in some cases, they are not. No doubt there is some real life influence in most songs - after all, I've been told it is best to write about what you know, but what do I know about writing

I love that Kristofferson song, "...He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction..." great song