banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
mtheeb

Unable to believe that nobody at this site used to listen to Charlotte O'Dell, I fear I must post again in the main (more popular) Lightfoot arena. It belongs here, sort of, because O'Dell played Lightfoot songs on her show.

Charlotte O'Dell hosted a Canadian radio show called Tapestry. My questions are: did you enjoy her poetry readings and playsets, and do you know what became of her?

(For more details on my obsessive query, please see the Small Talk section.)
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #2
Restless

Unable to believe that nobody at this site used to listen to Charlotte O'Dell, I fear I must post again in the main (more popular) Lightfoot arena. It belongs here, sort of, because O'Dell played Lightfoot songs on her show.

Charlotte O'Dell hosted a Canadian radio show called Tapestry. My questions are: did you enjoy her poetry readings and playsets, and do you know what became of her?

(For more details on my obsessive query, please see the Small Talk section.)
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I've never heard of her, Restless. Sorry!

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
Bobb

Yes, can remember hearing that gentle, whispering voice (on 98.1 FM CHFI) in my ear on our first set of headphones, weeknights around midnight while doing homework...I started tuning out when she started playing too much Newton-John, I haven't been mellow since

This guy may know: billdulmage@yahoo.com

Looks like she started in 1979 - cool website http://billdulmage.tripod.com/chfi1.html

Thanks for the memories....
Old 01-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
Bobb

Yes, can remember hearing that gentle, whispering voice (on 98.1 FM CHFI) in my ear on our first set of headphones, weeknights around midnight while doing homework...I started tuning out when she started playing too much Newton-John, I haven't been mellow since

This guy may know: billdulmage@yahoo.com

Looks like she started in 1979 - cool website http://billdulmage.tripod.com/chfi1.html

Thanks for the memories....
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #6
mtheeb

Many thanks, Bobb. Now I no longer feel alone in the universe.

I can't seem to properly navigate at that website, but I'll contact Dulmage and see what he knows...

"I'm Charlotte O'Dell. Goodnight."
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
Restless

Many thanks, Bobb. Now I no longer feel alone in the universe.

I can't seem to properly navigate at that website, but I'll contact Dulmage and see what he knows...

"I'm Charlotte O'Dell. Goodnight."
Old 01-09-2004, 10:16 PM   #8
SomewhereupinMichigan

Yep I remember Charlotte. She was active in Canadian broadcasting in the mid to late 70s whilst I was broadcasting here in Michigan. Her show used to occasionally "leak" over the border and the lake and I heard her a few times. A good show. Can't help you though on what ever became of her. I had completely forgotten about her, until you raised the topic.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #9
mtheeb

Thanks for your input, Somewhere.

Bill Dulmage was kind enough to respond: "I believe she was syndicated for a time but I think the show originated at CHFI Toronto. I
used to enjoy listening to her too. I regret to say I have no idea what happened to Charlotte. After CHFI, she just seemed to vanish. Of course she could be on the air somewhere, using a different name."

Recollecting is bittersweet. Sometimes I'd like to go back and sit beside that old receiver, with its glowing green tuner, and try to bring in distant stations. I miss the crackle from approaching thunderstorms, which we don't see much of, out here in L.A.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #10
Restless

Thanks for your input, Somewhere.

Bill Dulmage was kind enough to respond: "I believe she was syndicated for a time but I think the show originated at CHFI Toronto. I
used to enjoy listening to her too. I regret to say I have no idea what happened to Charlotte. After CHFI, she just seemed to vanish. Of course she could be on the air somewhere, using a different name."

Recollecting is bittersweet. Sometimes I'd like to go back and sit beside that old receiver, with its glowing green tuner, and try to bring in distant stations. I miss the crackle from approaching thunderstorms, which we don't see much of, out here in L.A.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:42 AM   #11
SomewhereupinMichigan

This could be a great topic for song or poem..."Whatever Became of Charlotte O'Dell"
Cathy: Why don't you take a stab at it? I can hear you singing the lyrics! It also seems like a good title for a song by Tanglefoot.

[This message has been edited by SomewhereupinMichigan (edited January 10, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by SomewhereupinMichigan (edited January 10, 2004).]

Old 01-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #12
mtheeb

Whatever became of Charlotte O'Dell?
Hers was a voice I remember so well.

Just me and the glow of my stereo light,
with the sounds of Tapestry late in the night.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #13
Restless

Whatever became of Charlotte O'Dell?
Hers was a voice I remember so well.

Just me and the glow of my stereo light,
with the sounds of Tapestry late in the night.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
Tyler

Restless,this sounds like a job for Annie, she can find anything.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #15
brink

Restless,this sounds like a job for Annie, she can find anything.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #16
SomewhereupinMichigan

The gentle, whispery voice cast a spell,
Poetry readings aired o'er plains and dell

Her mixing of pop and folk, a delight
Anchoring the airwaves, making everything right

Oh, Whatever became of Charlotte O'Dell?
Is she still on the air, somewhere, alive and well?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #17
SomewhereupinMichigan

Likely not the same Charlotte O'Dell, but it certainly would make for an interesting extension of our story line:

Rent & Royalties - A Good Plan Gone Bad

Charlotte Odell operated a small office supply business providing primarily staplers, staple removers and letter openers to the U.S. Post Office. She operated the business as a sole proprietorship until 1995 at which time she incorporated as a C corporation. She transferred in money and a small amount of inventory to the corporation in exchange for stock. So far so good. She kept the customer list separate and did not transfer this in (a good plan for when she sells the business). She then paid herself a small salary ($400 per month for 2 hours of work each day, not unreasonable per se). She also paid herself rent (presumably for use of her home or garage) and a royalty for her technical know-how and use of the customer list. The rents and royalties averaged around $44,000 per year.

The IRS conducted an employment tax audit claiming all the royalty and rent payments were really wages and were subject to payroll taxes. The court agreed. The rationale was that you could not convert what was self-employment income (income from the know-how and personal efforts) into income not subject to self-employment taxes (in this case payroll taxes).

The lessons to be learned are that aggressive converting of what was once self-employment income into income not considered wages won't work. Why the court did not pull out the rent is a puzzle unless Charlotte was not taking a home office deduction. If she had been the issue of rent should have been moot. Had Charlotte had other employees who did the actual work that also would have helped her cause. As it was, she and her husband (not on the payroll) did all the real work. The plan would have worked better had she been retired or nearly so.

Since the examination had to involve two entities (corporation and personal) it is possible that the IRS became suspicious of the reduced compensation income and the new royalty income. Since this was an employment tax audit, the IRS was clearly focused on the payments to Charlotte, not unsubstantiated deductions.

If you are thinking of incorporating and believe that this might apply to you, please talk with your tax advisor first. The case to refer to is Charlotte's Office Boutique, Inc. (2003) 121 TC No. 6.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Mariposa

Default Re: O'Dell Played Lightfoot

Here it is February 2008 and suddenly Charlotte O'Dell's name popped into mind. I listened to her radio show for a long time and marvelled at her voice and style plus the music she selected was on the mark. The last posts here seem to be from 2004 - it would be really neat if someone knew more info about her and if she is still on radio?
I recall Gord and Terry - Two Tones in Orillia Ontario back in the early 60's - What a grand time this all was.
Mariposa
Mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
Jesse Joe

Welcome Mariposa, I like that name.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
banjobench12

I loved her show. Great music, great voice. Be great to know what she is up to now. Nice thread
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #21
muppetwonder

I too loved her show, even though I was just a kid at the time. I especially remember listening to her Christmas Special shows that ran for a couple years during the Christmas holidays in the early-mid 80s. They were truly wonderful, as she paired great Christmas music with wonderful storytelling. I still remember the fruit-cake-soaked-in-rum recipe that was mentioned in one of the stories she read.

For some reason, I couldn't sleep tonight and recalled those vivid memories and the feelings they evoke. I had to register on this site just to share this with the other posters... not that I don't like Gordon Lightfoot's music, 'cuz I do.
muppetwonder is offline   Reply With Quote