banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 11-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #76
searam

Thanks, Bill W., and hello to everyone! I have been working on a new CD project here in L.A. and unable to join the group for some time. Hope everyone is fine!
Sean
P.S. Still here in Marina del Rey...
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #77
Sheryl Klein

Hey, Sean, North Hollywood, California here. 5 minutes from "beautiful, downtown Burbank." (from Johnny Carson fame). Also 5 minutes from the Big Brother house if anyone watched that summer reality show. Janice, I have a good girlfriend from junior high school who lives in La Mesa! We go to San Diego every year for our family vacation. Not sure whether we're going to go over winter break, but, for sure, we'll be there next summer. Be nice to meet you! I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, but, as a student, I was lucky enough to live in Holland for the summer and we traveled to Belgium, France, England, and Germany (for dinner one night -- the town we lived in was 10 minutes from the border). My husband is from Toronto. I'm so jealous of all of you who are able to go to Massey Hall to see Gord every year!! I'm counting the minutes until April 29 next year... tick... tick... tick...

Sheryl

[This message has been edited by Sheryl Klein (edited November 23, 2004).]
Old 11-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #78
violet Blue Horse

I so need to keep up. Where is the Big Brother House this time around? Surely NOT in North Hollywood. Studio City maybe?

I was born and raised in the Valley. I spent a year living in NoHo just off of Tujunga. I miss IKEA.

quote:Originally posted by Sheryl Klein:
Hey, Sean, North Hollywood, California here. 5 minutes from "beautiful, downtown Burbank." (from Johnny Carson fame). Also 5 minutes from the Big Brother house if anyone watched that summer reality show. Janice, I have a good girlfriend from junior high school who lives in La Mesa! We go to San Diego every year for our family vacation. Not sure whether we're going to go over winter break, but, for sure, we'll be there next summer. Be nice to meet you! I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, but, as a student, I was lucky enough to live in Holland for the summer and we traveled to Belgium, France, England, and Germany (for dinner one night -- the town we lived in was 10 minutes from the border). My husband is from Toronto. I'm so jealous of all of you who are able to go to Massey Hall to see Gord every year!! I'm counting the minutes until April 29 next year... tick... tick... tick...

Sheryl

Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 PM   #79
Sheryl Klein

Yes, Violet. It's still in Studio City, 5 min. from here. I actually grew up in Studio City. Nice place still. Love IKEA, too. Disneyland for grown-ups!!

Sheryl
Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 PM   #80
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I live in the shade of a forest of green, in the wildest of woodlands that you've ever seen.

Cathy in the Northern Maine Woods http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:23 PM   #81
charlene

Sheryl - your hubby is a Torontonian??Me too!
Where did he grow up - right in the city or a suburb?
do tell!!
char
Toronto native
living east of Hogtown in Whitby now.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #82
Sheryl Klein

My husband's family moved around quite a bit, but, only within confines of the city -- no suburb. They'd buy an apartment building, fix it up, sell it after a number of years, you know. So, he's always rattling on about when he lived on Spedina (spelling?) St. I just called my mother-in-law to ask her where she lived. She said Spedina was the first place (1950) (they emigrated from Europe), then Dundess Street, then Downsview, then Hodspur St. (near Bathurst & Wilson), then where she lives now on Bathurst between Wilson and Lawrence. She still lives there six months out of the year. She's here right now for the winter. After the Northridge earthquake in '94 I begged my husband to move back there, but, he said no way (he's been here since he was 22 -- he's 54 now), he had his fill of shoveling snow. So, hey, what's a little earthquake every 20 years or so, right?! We've been married 13 years now and I kind of feel a bit Canadian (by injection!) P.S. My mom's name is Charlane!! (pronounced the same, though)

Old 11-24-2004, 09:25 PM   #83
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Sheryl Klein:
Janice, I have a good girlfriend from junior high school who lives in La Mesa! We go to San Diego every year for our family vacation. Not sure whether we're going to go over winter break, but, for sure, we'll be there next summer. Be nice to meet you!

Hey Sheryl, anytime you're down this way, give a holler - I think it would be great to meet you too!
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:12 PM   #84
Sheryl Klein

O.K., I'll let you know!

Sheryl
Old 11-30-2004, 08:40 PM   #85
Betty

quote:Originally posted by searam:
Just curious! It would be helpful to me to know where we all reside, so we could plan concerts, etc. Anyone interested?
Sean

I live in Shelburne, Vermont on the shores of Lake Champlain (only 75 miles from Montreal!)

------------------
Betty
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:23 PM   #86
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Betty:
I live in Shelburne, Vermont on the shores of Lake Champlain (only 75 miles from Montreal!)

Betty, did you happen to make it to the Burlington concert a few years back?

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Old 12-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #87
searam

Hi, Sheryl! Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I have been preparing for an audition in Vegas for a "Beatles" show, due to open in 2006.
It would be cool to meet you - I am in Marina del Rey, probably not too far from you. Let me know...
Sean
P.S. Hello to everyone!!!
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:24 PM   #88
Sheryl Klein

So, Sean, are you going to the Vegas show? I'm going to the April 29 (Friday night) show. Let me know! I'm flying there with my brother and his friend (my chaperones, ahha!)

Sheryl
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #89
Betty

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Betty, did you happen to make it to the Burlington concert a few years back?

Oh My God, Cathy, can you believe I didn't even know he was here? But I looked it up this afternoon and I think it was in 2002. Burlington is only about 6 miles from me!!!! I'm about to shoot myself.....Yikes! Good thing I'm on this list now so you guys can keep me up to speed.

------------------
Betty
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #90
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Oh My God, Cathy, can you believe I didn't even know he was here? But I looked it up this afternoon and I think it was in 2002. Burlington is only about 6 miles from me!!!! I'm about to shoot myself.....Yikes! Good thing I'm on this list now so you guys can keep me up to speed.

That was a fun weekend. There were 5 of us, in 3 cars, making the treck to Burlington, then to Orono ME and finally to Portland ME. And lest you think Cathy had only a short trip home (well, nothing is short when you live in Northern ME), she came down to Saratoga to ride with me. So it was me in one car, Jenney in a second, and Diane (who doesn't post here) and a friend in a third. Cathy rode part way with me and part way with Jenney. And there were a few other folks who joined us at one or two of the concerts. I believe we had 8 seats in Burlington - all in the first row (pit).

Ah, fond memories.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:45 PM   #91
Cathy

Wow. You missed the concert. That's really too bad. Val, Jenney, Diane and I went to it and it was a great show!

Wow. I'd jump in the lake if I were you!

Old 12-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #92
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:
That was a fun weekend. There were 5 of us, in 3 cars, making the treck to Burlington, then to Orono ME and finally to Portland ME. And lest you think Cathy had only a short trip home (well, nothing is short when you live in Northern ME), she came down to Saratoga to ride with me. So it was me in one car, Jenney in a second, and Diane (who doesn't post here) and a friend in a third. Cathy rode part way with me and part way with Jenney. And there were a few other folks who joined us at one or two of the concerts. I believe we had 8 seats in Burlington - all in the first row (pit).

Ah, fond memories.

I still have not figured out how we got lost and headed in the wrong direction on an Interstate to who-knows-where, but we ended up in front of everybody else.

That is beautiful territory you live in, Betty. We took Rt 2 all the way to Newport, Maine, where we finally got on I-95. I loved the ride through the mountains.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:53 PM   #93
Janice

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:

Ah, fond memories.

But did you get lost?????
Old 12-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #94
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
I still have not figured out how we got lost and headed in the wrong direction on an Interstate to who-knows-where, but we ended up in front of everybody else.

That is beautiful territory you live in, Betty. We took Rt 2 all the way to Newport, Maine, where we finally got on I-95. I loved the ride through the mountains.

Oooops, my question was answered - I should have read all the way down before responding. I love the "Got Lost" stories of the two of you. There have been some doozies.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 PM   #95
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Janice:

But did you get lost?????

Let me put it this way. We have NEVER taken a road trip without getting lost. NEVER.

We once got lost in Torrington, trying to find our way out of the hotel parking lot. It looked EXACTLY like the driveway we had entered, but we somehow ended up on a dead end street. So, we went back, did a couple loops around the parking lot and I said, "That's the one. Take that street." Same dead end street. After doing this several times, and being sure each time that we had taken the right street, and ending up on the same dead end street each time, we started laughing so hard that we had to pull over. We laughed for at least 10 minutes straight. Then we decided to do it again and we were going to get it right this time, damn it. We headed back to the hotel, still laughing hysterically. I said something like, "Oh sheesh. I hope we don't run into Jenney. This is REALLY embarrassing!" We pulled into the hotel parking lot, and who was standing out in the middle, watching our every move? Yup. Jenney. We pulled up next to her. I tried to keep a straight face, but it just didn't work. Val and I started another fit of laughter and Jenney curiously looked on. She said, "What are you two up to?" We managed to get a few words out between laughing and gasping for air. "We can't seem to find our way out of the parking lot." I laughed so much that day my sides hurt.
Then there was the time we couldn't find our way back to our room at the Delta Chelsea, after attending one of Char's room parties. Well actually, I think Val knew where she was going. At that point, I'm not sure I knew which country I was in. Then there was the fiasco with the alarm clock. Damned Canadian clocks just don't work like ours here in the USA!

Some of my fondest memories of tramping around the country and going to GL concerts were the road trips Val and I took. We ALWAYS got lost and we always had a story to tell.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #96
charlene

when Val picked me up in ALbany we got lost just trying to find her vehicle in the parking lot...

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #97
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
when Val picked me up in ALbany we got lost just trying to find her vehicle in the parking lot...

LOLOL! I seem to recall we took a wrong exit when we picked Melissa up at the Albany airport.
We really got lost one time when Derek was with us. We were driving to Saratoga from Connecticut, a trip we'd made a bunch of times, and all of the sudden we noticed we were no longer on the highway. We were way out in the country, on some narrow farm road. We kept driving around trying to find our way back when I had the brilliant idea, "Just drive west. Head toward the sun. I know for a fact that either the parkway or I-87 is west of us, and I know whe haven't crossed over either of them." Eventually we came across the parkway. We got into Saratoga just in time to do a couple of numbers at Bailey's Bar and Grill. We turned a two and a half hour drive into a four hour drive.

I don't even want to talk about the ride from Red Bank to Glenside, where we turned a two hour drive into a six hour one and almost missed the concert!

Then there was that time with Sharon where we were going to your house, Char, and ended up in some industrial complex that was fenced in and had an attendant at the main gate. I said, "Wow. Char lives in one heck of a secure gated community!" Val wasn't with us that time, but I do recall when we finally arrived at your place, like two hours after everyone else had arrived, she had a good laugh about Sharon, Mom and I getting lost.

Oh yeah, and on the way back to Maine from Toronto, we were cruising up the Trans Canada and drove right past the Maine exit. When I started seeing signs for the Restigouche Region, I knew we had gone at least 75 miles too far. I mentioned it to Sharon, and she said, "No, we're okay. I remember seeing that sign on the way to Toronto." We argued for 10 minutes, driving another 15 miles or so, and finally she pulled over, so we could argue some more and look at a map. Gord straightened us out, though. He sang, "Turn around, go back down, back the way you came." We took that as a sign and found our way back to the exit.

And one time I recall Jenney telling us to follow her tail lights and she'd lead us back to the hotel. We were driving along, and all the sudden I said, "Oh my God, we've lost Jenney?" (It was something like South Park and "Oh my God, they've killed Kenny." It happened with each episode). We looked down on the exit ramp and saw a flash of her tail lights, and then she was gone. About two hours later, we managed to find our way back all by ourselves.

You know, I was alright as a navigator until Val started playing Lightfoot music. Then I just lost all concentration and was carried away by the music.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #98
Aime_41

We live in Minnesota.....originally from Michigan...grew up two blocks from Lake Superior. (Remember seeing the Edmund Fitzgerald
at the docks in Marquette, MI.) Our son and daughter-in-law moved to MI. last Christmas
(actually last Dec. 15th....not the happiest of days. ) It's been fun now, though. We can fly there in usually about one hour.

------------------
Aime_41
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #99
Moosedog

I live in Cheboygan, Michigan - right at the "tip of the mitt" on Lake Huron.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #100
shortvegg

I am in Woodbridge, VA. Anyone from there here?

Or near DC or anything?
shortvegg is offline   Reply With Quote