banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2004, 08:22 PM   #951
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Marcia:
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald raised goosebumps up and down my body when I first heard it many, many years ago. I am listening to it right now (Itunes), and it still has the same effect on me.

One of my friend's mom absolutely refuses to listen to Wreck. She heard it right after it hit the charts and it creeped her out, like she was having an anxiety attack, just thinking of what the men on the ship must have gone through that night.
She loves Lightfoot music, but she will not listen to Wreck.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:03 AM   #952
djb

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
One of my friend's mom absolutely refuses to listen to Wreck. -- snip -- She loves Lightfoot music, but she will not listen to Wreck.

Same with my wife. Gord is one of her favourite artists, but Wreck gets a skip as she refuses to listen to it.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:03 AM   #953
djb

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
One of my friend's mom absolutely refuses to listen to Wreck. -- snip -- She loves Lightfoot music, but she will not listen to Wreck.

Same with my wife. Gord is one of her favourite artists, but Wreck gets a skip as she refuses to listen to it.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:28 PM   #954
Endlesswire78

I suppose my favorite is Canadian Railroad Trilogy. Both my wife and I really enjoy all of his music. We've done extensive traveling throughout the US as part of my work, and listening to his music has created some very special memories. We got see him in Phoenix, Az while we livng there in the mid 80's, and then again in the early 90's in Chicago. We hope this man sings on forever!
Endlesswire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:28 PM   #955
Michael

I suppose my favorite is Canadian Railroad Trilogy. Both my wife and I really enjoy all of his music. We've done extensive traveling throughout the US as part of my work, and listening to his music has created some very special memories. We got see him in Phoenix, Az while we livng there in the mid 80's, and then again in the early 90's in Chicago. We hope this man sings on forever!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #956
Jesse

Oh, so many. GL has the capacity to condense the best and worst of what we are into a few verses and color them with music to lighten the soul. But I always have to listen intently to the backup singers on the "Summer Side of Life." There is a lady with a wide vibrato there who gives me shivers every time I hear that song. God bless the musicmakers.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #957
Jesse

Oh, so many. GL has the capacity to condense the best and worst of what we are into a few verses and color them with music to lighten the soul. But I always have to listen intently to the backup singers on the "Summer Side of Life." There is a lady with a wide vibrato there who gives me shivers every time I hear that song. God bless the musicmakers.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #958
eaglepack

I have been a fan of GL for many years.As for a Favorite song there are far to many to put down. But the ones that have left an impression would have to be 1. Black Day In July. Growing up in southwestern Ontario I remember only to well the riots in Detroit. 2. Go Go Round, only because it reminds me of a very special friend.
GL is more that just a song writer/singer, he is a story teller, and history teacher.
His songs and music will be remembered for many generations to come.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #959
eaglepack

I have been a fan of GL for many years.As for a Favorite song there are far to many to put down. But the ones that have left an impression would have to be 1. Black Day In July. Growing up in southwestern Ontario I remember only to well the riots in Detroit. 2. Go Go Round, only because it reminds me of a very special friend.
GL is more that just a song writer/singer, he is a story teller, and history teacher.
His songs and music will be remembered for many generations to come.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #960
Natucketej

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]

Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #961
Natucketej

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]

Old 11-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #962
rockin mike d

favourite song? has to be THE LAST TIME I SAW HER...why? there was a girl i knew in Seattle and the song reminds me of how we were and how we ended.
rockin mike d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #963
ginothek

favourite song? has to be THE LAST TIME I SAW HER...why? there was a girl i knew in Seattle and the song reminds me of how we were and how we ended.
ginothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 AM   #964
Karlos2x2l

Haven't been in here for a while. It's just amazing that this topic is still kicking after almost 5 years! Says a lot about Gord's fans... I just took a driving trip to Wash DC and, naturally, had some GL CD's with me. Thought of a subset of my all time favorites - driving tunes....
Start with Early Morning Rain, move on to the Trilogy, throw in some Alberta Bound, Don Q and Patriot's Dream. Get out Old Dan's Records, Did She Mention My Name and Daylight Katy and Sundown. Add a little Christian Island and Rainbow Trout and the miles just melt by......
Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 AM   #965
Karlos2x2l

Haven't been in here for a while. It's just amazing that this topic is still kicking after almost 5 years! Says a lot about Gord's fans... I just took a driving trip to Wash DC and, naturally, had some GL CD's with me. Thought of a subset of my all time favorites - driving tunes....
Start with Early Morning Rain, move on to the Trilogy, throw in some Alberta Bound, Don Q and Patriot's Dream. Get out Old Dan's Records, Did She Mention My Name and Daylight Katy and Sundown. Add a little Christian Island and Rainbow Trout and the miles just melt by......
Old 12-02-2004, 09:53 AM   #966
paraick

quote:Originally posted by Silver Heels:
That's true. I asked him once about 'Susan' and he told me the same story.

I find all of GL songs interesting, on the subject of who's who. Does anyone know (even your mother) who "Bitter Green" might be?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:53 AM   #967
paraick

quote:Originally posted by Silver Heels:
That's true. I asked him once about 'Susan' and he told me the same story.

I find all of GL songs interesting, on the subject of who's who. Does anyone know (even your mother) who "Bitter Green" might be?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #968
Nova Scotia Boy

My favortie song by Mr. Lightfoot would definetly be narrowed down to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Not only does it hold some of the best lyrics ever recorded but the simple melody leaves me breathless everytime I hear it. And as a lifetime fan I invite you to come over on the east coast and let the people of nova scotia and people at the "Stan Rogers Folk Festival" hear and enjoy your music as much as I do!

Nova Scotia Boy
A.K.A...Adam MacDonald, 18
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #969
Nova Scotia Boy

My favortie song by Mr. Lightfoot would definetly be narrowed down to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Not only does it hold some of the best lyrics ever recorded but the simple melody leaves me breathless everytime I hear it. And as a lifetime fan I invite you to come over on the east coast and let the people of nova scotia and people at the "Stan Rogers Folk Festival" hear and enjoy your music as much as I do!

Nova Scotia Boy
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #970
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by paraick:

I've heard she was a dog.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #971
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Nova Scotia Boy:

Nova Scotia Boy

I would just love to attend a Stanfest, especially if Gord played in it.
When is it this year? Stan is my second favorite singer/songwriter.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #972
charlene

here's info Cathy: http://www.stanfest.com/2005/main.html
July 1,2,3, 2005 Canso, Nova Scotia.
Performers aren't listed yet.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #973
charlene

here's info Cathy: http://www.stanfest.com/2005/main.html
July 1,2,3, 2005 Canso, Nova Scotia.