banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
<Reminder>

I continue to be amazed at the stories being posted. So many forgotten names have been mentioned. Obviously, this is a very diverse and intelligent (myself excluded) group of people, but you already knew that.

Thanks,

RMD
Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #27
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;Reminder&gt;:
Janice,

I remember seeing Cameron Mitchell at a bar in Flagstaff, AZ. I never spoke with him but I can say that there was a large group of people around his table and each and every one of them wore a smile.
RMD
Cameron Mitchell appeared to be a very friendly man who did his best to make people smile and laugh. The wonderful thing about all three of them is that they didn't just write me off as a 5 year old and ignore me. They included me and didn't talk down to me. I don't remember a lot of the details of the afternoon's conversation, but I do remember feeling welcome and part of the group. I have to attribute some of that to my parents, though. They always included me and never talked down to me, so consequently, those around them did the same.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #28
<formerlylavender>

Sheryl, you sure have a long list of sightings. Where did you see Laura San Giacomo? I loved Just Shoot Me.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #29
charlene

I met Kris Kristofferson at the Toronto airport as I was coming back from a holiday with my 4 1/2 year old son and 7 month old daughter. She was in the luggage buggy and he was running around. When I looked behind me to see where he'd run off to I noticed a guy all inblack, longish hair and beard. I thought he looked like KK. A few seconds later he was right beside me! He said something like "I know about traveling with kids" and I was looking into those beautiful blue KK eyes!! omigosh!!!! He scurried past and it was then I noticed other people recognizing him. We went out to go to the parking lot and he was standing there looking around. We asked if we could help and he said he was supposed to have a car pick him to take him to King City where he was shooting a movie. We offered him aride but his car drove up a second later. He said 'thanks' and that was that!
lol

I've met the wonderful Ron Sexsmith a few times, Canadian folk legend Valdy, Canadian figure skating duo - Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini after a skating exhibition at Nathan Phillips Square at Toronto's City Hall,Prime Minister Trudeau when he was dedicating a monument along the lakeshore in Toronto - it was for Peter Gzowski's late father, I was just a kid! hmmmm....several Ontario politicians and local/Toronto/Hamilton tv/radio news people when I was involved in school issues, Burton Cummings for a brief moment, I'm sure there are others but I've drawn a blank...I'll update when I find my mind....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #30
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Jenney, thanks for reminding me -- I met Dee Wallace Stone as she was dropping off (I assume) her pre-schooler at our pre-school a few years ago. It could have been over the summer, I can't remember. She had broken a leg and was trying to get around. I didn't recognize her at first and asked whether I could help her. Then when she flashed that smile at me, I recognized her immediately. I ran into her a few more times and just smiled.

Lavender -- I saw Laura at Starbucks in Studio City. This was right after she'd had a baby. Caffeine is a definite "must" when you're dealing with sleep deprivation and a job with long hours.

I saw Jack Coleman (already mentioned -- the second Steven from Dynasty) at one of the other Starbucks in Studio City (we have 3). Ran into him at least three times -- we were admiring each other's kids. He was VERY tall, VERY nice, and VERY good looking! His wife was a gorgeous, willowy blonde. You can imagine what their kids looked like...

I used to date an old-time western star named Clarke L'Amoreaux. He was a co-star in "The Virginian." He also went by the name of Gary Clarke. It was a May/December romance. There were 30 years between us. He was quite a guy.

Oh, just remembered -- my girlfriend turned down a date with pre-governer Gray Davis. This was back in 1985 or so. Obviously, he wasn't married yet. She introduced me to him. He was very quiet and polite, very somberly dressed in a grey suit. I have no idea what he was doing in our building. There was a building & loan on the first floor, my girlfriend worked on my floor for a cancer research fundraising organization, and I worked for the attorneys across the hall from her. Oh, yes, the architect was on the top level. That was it. He was seeing him. Gray had spotted my (very attractive) friend in the elevator, but, she had no intention of getting involved with someone who was deep into politics, so she politely turned him down. Wonder what she's thinking now?! Well, she married her rich boss and they moved to Massachusetts to a very tony neighborhood, so she's probably not crying over it!

[ June 05, 2006, 15:41: Message edited by: Sheryl ]
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #31
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
I wonder if you guys were on the same plane.... [/QB]
If he was coming from Hartford CT. on a DASH 8 Canadian prop plane we were!
lolol
Old 06-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #32
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

excellent topic.I have to begin by saying
"I often brush up against myself"!!!
Other notables I have met or seen are legion.
1.I'll start with a famous person if you are interested in maintaining/repairing Motor cars
John Haynes

Who I now see now has an OBE
in the early 70's he and I used to be one of four John's who most weeks played Badminton in Sherborne Dorset.Other than Ed Mullen he is the only millionaire I know
I reckon I know John pretty well and in about 1973 after attending a hill climb race he was sponsoring I was not best pleased to find that he had been trying to pinch my then girl-friend.
I took the opportunity to google and found that his company now run by his son (also John Haynes) is about to publish a repair manual for the Spitfire fighter plane. How wonderful see:-
http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART34969.html
and on his company's site
http://www.haynes.com/
in the site's press releases section I found a link to a very new publication to wit
"To be used only after Sunday 11th June 2006
The Brain Manual

A new book from Haynes for National Men's Health Week
Publication date: 12th June 2006"
http://www.haynes.co.uk/Press/Releas...ss_release.htm
this should interest Brian. a.k.a "iron" and to his chatroom pals "Brain"!!

Now lets see well I have often brushed up against Bru/silverheels (sorry Bru) who herself has been in close contact with many famous people like Rolf Harris. Michael Crawford and Spike (the well known typing error) Milligna
i recently recounted how on 6 April 1964 I literally brushed against Peter Paul and Mary as they flew into London Airport and used the same terminal building door that I was using to get out to my Montreal-bound aircraft.
A few years later at Montreal Meribel Airport en route to my London bound plane in 1989 I was right behind Donald Sutherland in the line to get onto the mobile lounge.
As far as musical personalities go I was once whilst watching Ella Fitzgerald sing at London's the Hammersmith Odeon from the very back of the stalls suddenly aware of the presence of someone very large next to me, and somewhere I have the autograph of Oscar Peterson
I cannot recall now the exact date and exhibition but I was close to Sir "uncle" Clive Sinclair, inventor of my very first (kit-built) computer

The Sinclair ZX80
Just think a horrendously fast 3.25MHz processor
1000 Byte RAM, no floppy or hard drive but as much software as you could write yourself and save on a standard audio cassette then play through your television set as the (CRT) monitor.
it was magic.I still have mine one day I am going to fire it up again.
Of course Sir Clive went on to other glorious inventions especially his ill-fated ecological transport solution

The Sinclair C5 electric PC (Personal Car)
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #33
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenney:

I know I'll think of a dozen more later, but sure can't right now!
Jenney
Geesh Jenney, how could you forget the one that was practically at your door? (Paging Dr. Benton...)
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #34
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sundown17:
Geesh Jenney, how could you forget the one that was practically at your door? (Paging Dr. Benton...)
I was wondering the same thing, Diane
Old 06-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #35
Borderstone

I recalled another!

My brother in the early '90s,when he worked at the same hotel,as I later did, met Lorenzo Lamas who was staying thee. This was about the time Lamas was starring in the syndicated action show "Renegade". (Not one of my favorites :D ).
Old 06-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #36
Janice

I liked him much better in Renegade than Dynasty :D
Old 06-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #37
Jenney

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jenney:

Jenney
Geesh Jenney, how could you forget the one that was practically at your door? (Paging Dr. Benton...) [/QUOTE]Doh! I almost forgot about him! Funny, I just mentioned him today too. I was out in my driveway one day, and saw this tall nice looking man go walking down the middle of the road. I must have done a triple take, as he looked up and waved. It was Eriq LaSalle, who played Dr. Peter Benton on ER.
Now I live in the middle of no where, on a deadend street, in a suburb of Hartford. What the dickens was he doing on my street? This was one of several sightings, turns out his cousin lives down the street and he stays with him often. Odd though to see someone you watch on TV go walking past your mailbox!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #38
Jenney

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jenney:

Jenney
Geesh Jenney, how could you forget the one that was practically at your door? (Paging Dr. Benton...) [/QUOTE]Doh! I almost forgot about him! Funny, I just mentioned him today too. I was out in my driveway one day, and saw this tall nice looking man go walking down the middle of the road. I must have done a triple take, as he looked up and waved. It was Eriq LaSalle, who played Dr. Peter Benton on ER.
Now I live in the middle of no where, on a deadend street, in a suburb of Hartford. What the dickens was he doing on my street? This was one of several sightings, turns out his cousin lives down the street and he stays with him often. Odd though to see someone you watch on TV go walking past your mailbox!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #39
MistyMoppens

I had mentioned that Gord's drummer Barry Keane was Anne Murray's studio drummer on many of her LPs. So think of him whenever you hear her greatest hits like "You Needed Me." (way to go, Barry!) I don't think many of Gord's fans know this.

And his ex steel guitarist PeeWee Charles (aka Ed Ringwald) worked for her, as well. Since he left the band I've missed that added "something special" that has been missing in the music ever since.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #40
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

I've got to say that any reservations I still had about lon(ger) posts than ..say.. 3 - 5 lines might be uninteresting to people in corfid when I write them are rendered academic.

I try to [write longer posts]less, but still do some eye-popping 3 pagers (thanks to some healthy badgering I at least not seperate by paragraph if not content).

I have to say as well the famous people sheryl, mistym, and others above have run into are really interesting accounts to read, and I was totally unaware they were lon(ger) posts, as they had a ton of germaine material to the post opening question.

My additions to the subject I truly believe would not be of interest to the group - they are by and large luminaries in the field I am in, which I alltogether to-often digress to expounding upon. People who have been widely read and trend-setters at conferences attended by 6- 8,000 mappers from around the world - 63 countries at the last ESRI conference I went to.
But, alas, not of general interest.

Maybe one other type of non-celebrity, yet still famous ( in their field only) is worth giving pause and taking time to mention. My Dad. I know, I know, my Dad is stronger than your Dad, neener, neener. LOL . No, I do not mean any bragging in this vane.

I raise my father's name because he indeed was famous, in the field of rocketry and the space program. William R. "Russ" Dunbar. He is my personal idol in the sense of role model, wish I was more like him, admire him for his principles, and am astonished at his relentless perseverance in his field that culminated in such larger-than-life accomplishments as the Appolo program and man's landing on the moon, Skylab ( as big as a 3-BR house in space), Viking (an interplanetary spacecraft he co-designed and built the launch vehicle for (Atlas-Centaur) and was the first soft-lander on Mars in the 70's, not the two recent missions a few years back that were reported by TV to be the4 first. And finally, skipping dozens, and being an Ambassador to Germany in the Helios space program, Voyageur.

He built the rocketry for Voyageur and oversaw the contruct of the extra-planetary mission vehicle itself. Remember in the 70's ( ! ) the spacecraft with a plaque on the outside with a disrobed general form of a man and woman holding their hands up in the earthly universal "hello" sign ? Well that spacecraft module contained one of the first CD's made to contain a min-compendium of man's knowledge, sampling of arts, culture, music, literature,the sciences, engineering, history, photographs, and a mathematical model of our most prevalent earth's languages so any (alien) recipient could re-construct our math-encrypted languages.

Dad was the Chief Engineer for that project, and dozens of others. He was famous in his field to the extent that if you have heard while learning the sciences in shool of famous rocketry names like Werner Von Braun, and Goddard, well, Dad worked with them and then shot to stellar levels in his career to finish as The Director of the Unmanned Space Program.

Really the only reason I bring this example up at all, so far from music and celebrities, is in memorium. Dad passed away on May 13, last month. I have away several times to Northern Colorado to help my mother with onvious matters and her grieving, and attend to handling the interrment, etc.

In the memorial-style funeral, I gave a talk planned by the minister, as in "does any one wish to say anything about Russ?" - well, I'd arranged about a 30 minute spoken memorial to Dad and his accomplishments, and their place in history. Photos, war medals, rocket models, pictures of family backpacking and what-not were spread around the dias. So, I will miss my Dad more than I could ever have imagined, and had to put-off several PM replies, etc. my apologies and thanks for your patience.

Well, Dad was not famous in the traditional sense, and I know one who is in braod terms outside of a given field, but I am very lucky to have had a father like my Dad, who spent hundreds of nights over the years playing chess and cards with me whnile I grewup, and listened to him answer my endless questions like "Gee Dad, why does a rocket HAVE to reach the escape velocity constant of nearly 25,000 mph to leave the earht's gravitational field ? True... unusual childhood but one that I was truly fortunate to have had with parents that came as close to perfectly...human as I could ever have hoped to have.

You know, this would be a very hazardous venue to lay open such raw unfinished feelings as these, but I have come to trust you guys and am willing to take my chops for the diatribe !
People who really appreciate GL music are indeed worthy of trusting these kind of thoughts to. That is also why I am saddened to hear of Sheryl's departure. Thats another thread, though.
Thanks for reading, for anyone who got this far.
- geo Steve

[ June 09, 2006, 04:53: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #41
Sundown17

Steve,

My condolences on the passing of your father. A sad day indeed.

Being an American that grew up in the 60's and 70's when such achievements of the space program where an excuse to bring a tv into the classroom (gasp!) to watch launches and landings, I recognize all those spacecrafts.

Yes, your father is famous. Maybe his name is not a household word (although if I mention to my husband he will probably recognize it), but the contribution he gave to this country is outstanding.

You are a lucky man.

Diane

P.S. Coincidently I live a few town south of the Goddard Mansion in Claremont NH.
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #42
geodeticman

Sundown17, thank you very much. your thoughts are very kind and much appreciated. Interesting about the Gorrard mansion you menyion. He had the Goddard Space Flight Center named after him.

I know much more about Von Braun, who was a brilliant and equally arrogant German Scientist in WWII who is oten thought of as the father of modern rocketry. He was recruited by NASA after the war and built a non-working rocket called Atlas. And non-working Centaur.

After dad worked with him as a young protege of the aging mentor, Von Braun dropped a non-working nemesis of his called the Atlas rocket, which he announced would never fly. It was given to dad and told to make it work. He did - and in the process created the unqique fuel mixture of liquid hydrogen and Liguid oxygen in precise ratio that prevented explosion, yet provided burn - and later lifted the SATURN V and Apollo off the ground with 7 million pounds of thrust ( !!!) to land on the moon.

To this day the Atlas is still in use, being tailored for missions by Lockheed Martin here in Colorado near where I live in Douglas County. Dad and team built the entire Atlas-Centaur launch vehicle, if of any interest to your husband. Is he in Aeronautical Engineering or relared ?

Your husband may be interested in the NASA Glenn Research Center Web-site where the history of that shop has been in documentation , including numerous references to Dad, at what used to be called LERC, Lewis Research Center, when he worked there. Thanks for the kind words. He sure is famous to me. Thanks
geo Steve
Old 06-09-2006, 06:39 AM   #43
Auburn Annie

So sorry for your loss, Steve. He sounds like a man to be very proud of. And yes, I also recognize all those rocket names - must be a boomer thing, growing up with "Uncle" Walt Cronkite practically jumping out of his seat, saying "go, baby, go!" as a new rocket thundered off the launch pad. And the late wonderful Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series was a favorite too. If my math skills were better I might have become an astronomer.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #44
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by geodeticman:

To this day the Atlas is still in use, being tailored for missions by Lockheed Martin here in Colorado
Quote:
Also originally posted by geodeticman:

Is he in Aeronautical Engineering or relared ?
Great Steve you reminded me of a subject that I think I have espoused here before concerning the strange choice of 4 foot 8 and a half inches as the "standard gauge" (distance between the rails) of most of the worlds railway/railroad tracks.
for a good giggle you have to visit:-
http://www.seiyaku.com/reference/shuttle.html

this report concludes with an observation on the space shuttle
"You may have noticed there are two huge ancillary rockets on the sides of the main fuel tank. These are known as 'reusable solid rocket boosters' and are made by a killing-machine firm called ATK Thiokol in Utah. The assembly plant for these boosters is located on western side of the Rocky Mountains and to transport them to the Kennedy Space Center, rail is the cheapest and quickest method. The line from the factory runs through a tunnel so the booster rockets have to be made smaller than the tunnel. This tunnel is only a bit wider than the track, and therefore the rocket design had to take this into consideration.So there we have it. Today's space travellers owe the design of the Shuttle's rocket motor to Ancient Roman test-pilots."
this "explanation" appears on many web sites.and I like the expression you can find on for example:-
http://www.astrodigital.org/space/stshorse.html
"So a major design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined by the width of a horse's ass!"
I have a feeling that the tunnel referred to here is in Colo(u)rado

And I just remembered another "brush" with another obvious, to me at least, famous person.
There is a section on my website devoted to one of my favo(u)rite authors, my late namesake see:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/johnfowles/
to my lasting chagrin, since he passed away last year,I never actually met him.
But I once spent much time walking around Lyme Regis,Dorset where he lived and used for the setting of his most famous novel "the French Left-tenants Woman"
which became a great film starring Jeremy Irons (himself an old boy of the "publc" (i.e.private) Sherborne School) and Meryl Streep

I was trying to find his house whose address I knew but failed.
Soon after he revised his superb novel "The Magus", which is a very rare thing for a novelist to do,and i felt emboldened to write to him about it. To my considerable surprise he replied:-

JohnFowles BSc Aeronautical Engineering (now the Web Author)

[ June 09, 2006, 09:39: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 06-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #45
charlene

Quote:
"Gee Dad, why does a rocket HAVE to reach the escape velocity constant of nearly 25,000 mph to leave the earht's gravitational field ? ]
omigosh that's the same question I asked MY dad!
lol
just goofin' on ya Steve...

I am very sorry to hear about your dad's passing....It's nice to hear how esteemed he and your mother are in your mind. What a wonderful legacy to have left you...

We watched all the launches as well and I vividly remember our apartment crammed with people to watch the moon landing on our new colour TV....altho I do believe it was broadcast in black and white....hmmmm. was it in colour or did Ted Turner colourize that old footage and that's what I remember?
lol
It's lovely to read your memories and loving thoughts...thanks.
Char
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #46
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
altho I do believe it was broadcast in black and white....hmmmm.
it was definitely in Black and White. I was at the time back in the UK and well remember a dash home from visiting relatives in the early hours of the morning to watch the landing live,we made it, then twiddled our thumbs for ages before Neil could be seen coming down the ladder, I clearly remember thinking that the picture was very indistinct so that it took lots of imagination to make out what you were actually seeing.

I also clearly remember the words utterred by the late great Frank Muir who was one of a number of pundits brought in by the BBC to entertain viewers if and when things were slack.
He opined "that nearly everything the Americans did was on a vast scale whereas what the British did was usually half-vast". very few in the studio audience got it. Just say that to yourself

John
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #47
brink-

Steve,
Very sorry about the passing of your father, there is not a thing anyone can say to ease how you are feeling. Please remember you have many people who care and are here for you.
What marvelous memories of your father, and so many things around us these days to trigger those memories.
Like Diane, Annie and Char I lived the space age and watched it happen in school and at home. It makes it all the more wonderful now that I "know" someone who made it happen.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #48
geodeticman

Annie, Char, Brink, et al
I am not at best today so, I am very greatful for your kind comments about my Dad. Your appreciation of the events that took place over our boomer childhoods you are kind enough to remember is very..helpful. On another day, I'd like to answer your kind posts a tittle more thoroughly. Thanks

John,
As always, your posts are a veritable treasure trove of germaine and interesting information - more than trivia, not trivial at all. I am greatful you've answered a couple of questions posed above in the replies to my post.

I really do thank you for that, as my wife I spent hours today consoling my mother. That priveledge (helping) sure does bring back all of it for me is in large part why I am spent. Then, I had to exchange yet my 6th e-mail with a slack-jawed idiot at the funeral home who couldn't find his tally-wha**er with a 6 man search party, no less publish my father's obituary, containing the common somewhat longer paens (sp?) to the historically significant (dad's contributions) things I helped him with for local papers. Then, more correspondence as well with the NASA webmaster's need for more family info for dad's obituary and technical memorial at NASA Glenn Center's website.

John one technical thought now, ( I'll examine all your thoughtful links to related threads you show above likely tomorrow). The N-Thiokol of O-ring infamy on the shutter has a long history of failure below 32 degrees F due to thermal expansion/contraction on their solid-fuel boosters. Dad built them on at times such as on the Titan-IIIC, and Atlas-Agena launch vehicles when extra "oomph" was needed at lower altitudes, as you very likely know the gravitational pull varies as the square of the distance from the gravimetric center of the earth's geoid, and so they become more useful closer to the earth in trajectory.

Anyhooo very interesting the tunnel info. For a straightforward train track trivia gimme, do you know the reason train's steel wheels are substantially beveled, leaving in theory only a tangential "point" of the steel rim touching the steel trackat any given time ? I'll read all your links John , thanks.

To all of you that very kindly wrote back on this, I am sorry I am not quite up to responding to all today so I will simply say thank you.
geo Steve
Old 06-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #49
charlene

Quote:
To all of you that very kindly wrote back on this, I am sorry I am not quite up to responding to all today so I will simply say thank you.
geo Steve
No need to worry Steve...take time to take care of yourself.....you'll be able to help your wife and mum better that way.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #50
SilverHeels

de-lurking to send sincere condolences to Steve. I know what you're going thru, buddy. Been there, done that.It's very early days, so pace yourself. There are no rules in this game of life. Thinking of you and your family at this time.