View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #35
charlene

Default Re: The Fitz - 40th anniversary

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...don_light.html

By Tom Feran, The Plain Dealer
Email the author
on November 13, 2015 at 4:13 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- For almost half her life, Ruth Hudson of North Olmsted said she thought every day of her son, Bruce, who was just 22 years old when he died aboard the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Her own death came Tuesday, one day before the 40th anniversary of the ore carrier's sinking in Lake Superior. She was 90.

"It was the first year she missed the memorial service in Whitefish Point, Michigan," said her niece Pam Woodman-Wittig. "I went in her place.

"She told me she'd be watching with Bruce from heaven."

Only hours before her death, Hudson spoke on the phone with Gordon Lightfoot, whose 1976 hit song chronicled and immortalized the shipwreck. The two knew each other for years, and he went early to Whitefish Point for the service.

"That was really what she was all about," Woodman-Wittig said, noting her aunt was active in successful efforts to have the Fitzgerald officially declared a gravesite and to have its bell retrieved.

She told me she'd be watching with Bruce from heaven
"It was what she lived for. She was always the survivor. She was a caretaker."

Bruce Hudson was working as a crew member to make money to return to Ohio State University when the "Mighty Fitz" sank with all hands in 530 feet of water on Nov. 10, 1975. Of the 29 men who died, 14 were from Ohio, seven from Northeast Ohio.

"That time before he shipped out with the Fitzgerald we talked about many things," Hudson told a reporter 10 years ago. "Somehow, we ended up talking about the danger of his motorcycle riding. I remember he said he would never die on the motorcycle. He said when he died, it would be in a way that the whole world would know it.

"I guess he was right."

A native of West Virginia who was widowed 18 years ago, Hudson moved last spring to South Carolina to be near her niece, who survives her along with a granddaughter and four great-grandchildren.

A celebration of life service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 14, at the Sunset Chapel, 6245 Columbia Road, North Olmsted, after a one-hour visitation. Interment will follow in Sunset Memorial Park. Dostal Borkas Funeral Services is handling arrangements.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote